Free coaster maintainance f*** up

Related:
Create New Tag

1/16/2017 11:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2017 11:50 AM

yeasterday I saw a dans comp video on how to maintain a clutch based free coaster. I followed it perfectly but some how this happened. When I pedal backwards it takes the same amount of pedalling forward to engage (e.g. 5 full cranks backwards takes 5 cranks froward until it engages). There is no wearing on the springs or inside the clutch so I'm so confused on what it could be. My tapered washer has a chunk off it which is the only thing I believe could be causing any problems. i have a few pictures below of it to prove there is no wearing any ware.

If anyone could tell me what it could be it would really help as i have no clue.Photo

Photo

|

1/16/2017 11:13 PM

Whoah, never heard of this happening before. Maybe try taking it apart and resembling it back together?

|

1/17/2017 12:42 AM

My friend had this issue a while ago. We never did figure out the problem, he changed the bearings, internal components, but to no avail. It was a cursed hub, maybe? Lol.

I'd say clean everything real good, double check your parts, and assemble carefully and correctly. If that doesn't work...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/17/2017 8:36 AM

Thats sound interesting. I never had or heard about that problem before but too much grease also can make errors. I would try to do the same doe what they said above

|

1/17/2017 2:19 PM

Make sure the clutch is sitting properly on the axle? I don't know u less I actually look at it but make sure you use grease when you put it back together. Hopefully you cleaned the grease off for the pics?

|

1/17/2017 6:10 PM

Perhaps something was not put back in correct order? I had a hub that did this, (odyssey reloader) because of the clutch spring system used in that one was damaged. I had it rigged up ok.

Something like this tells me you might need a lot more grease, OR the spring balls are messed up. Ultimately it is struggling to get the clutch pushed back to where it catches correctly when you pedal forward-the pressure the spring balls put on it is not accurate. If there are grooves inside the clutch that can also do it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/19/2017 8:21 AM

readybmxer wrote:

My friend had this issue a while ago. We never did figure out the problem, he changed the bearings, internal components, but ...more

Ha well I'm pretty sure I'm cursed judging by how much bad luck I get. I'm also currently waiting for my front wheel to be built as I snapped my axle both sides clean off. I'm going to buy a new rear hub as I have tried everything and it doesn't work.

|

1/19/2017 8:23 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

Make sure the clutch is sitting properly on the axle? I don't know u less I actually look at it but make sure you use grease ...more

Yeh I had cleaned the grease off to show the spring balls and clutch were on good condition.

|

1/19/2017 9:29 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

Make sure the clutch is sitting properly on the axle? I don't know u less I actually look at it but make sure you use grease ...more

JudeBmx wrote:

Yeh I had cleaned the grease off to show the spring balls and clutch were on good condition.

Ok that's what I figured lol just wanted to make sure.

|

1/20/2017 6:53 AM

had this happen to a primo freemix and dropped a 100 into it for relatively nothing. if you're able to get in contact with the company id ask if they know anything about the issue or if they can give you a discount on a new hub cause id think this is more of a manufacturer issue

|