I got fined by the police for riding without a helmet in Sydney.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2019 4:59 PM

To be clear I don't expect anyone to care or do anything - fortunately I'm doing well with work so financially I can take the hit. Just want to rant.

It's $337 fucking dollars. This state has the highest traffic fines for bike riders in the world.

Technically he also could have written me up for not having a bell on my bike which I think is another $100 but that's such a stupid law I don't think even the police know about it. FTP.

|

8/12/2019 5:28 PM

Didn’t know it until now, but this is another reason why I always wear a helmet. XD

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

8/12/2019 6:02 PM

Thats why you don’t stop for the police lol

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

8/12/2019 7:49 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

That's risky but can be effective. Bike cops are not gonna be able to pursue a motivated BMXer on the run, even with bikes that are ostensibly faster.

.... but nobody can go faster than a Nextel radio

|

8/12/2019 7:51 PM

On a similar note, I always get nervous about riding with easily identifiable bike parts. Whitewall tires, those colored Odyssey/Gsport rims .. just seems like you're making it easy for an observer to identify you

|

8/12/2019 7:58 PM

How would you get away on a bicycle from the cops? Great answer. smh.

|

8/12/2019 8:14 PM

orangebmx907 wrote:

Spoken like somebody who's never tried...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/12/2019 9:23 PM

orangebmx907 wrote:

part of riding street is exploring and learning your surroundings. I would run from the cops on my bike waaay before i would run in my car.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/13/2019 12:06 AM

orangebmx907 wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

part of riding street is exploring and learning your surroundings. I would run from the cops on my bike waaay before i would run in my car.

Yeah running in a car is completely out of the picture 😆

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram

old edit

8/13/2019 12:10 AM

orangebmx907 wrote:

Well just casually keep riding, they stop up ahead turn around ride the other direction cut down random street zigzag around

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

8/13/2019 2:15 AM

I like to think I would have avoided him if I saw him earlier...but he stepped out right in front of me. At that point I didn't want to get tazed or shot in the back haha.

|

8/13/2019 4:19 AM

SirCaseAlot wrote:

To be clear I don't expect anyone to care or do anything - fortunately I'm doing well with work so financially I can take the hit. Just want to rant.

It's $337 fucking dollars. This state has the highest traffic fines for bike riders in the world.

Technically he also could have written me up for not having a bell on my bike which I think is another $100 but that's such a stupid law I don't think even the police know about it. FTP.

I feel weird as hell riding to the traino in a full cut, but it definitely beats that fine. I officially retired to the skateparks when that shit started.

|

8/13/2019 4:58 AM

I just wear a helmet all the time, for my own safety.

Here in the US (at least my state) you are required by law to have front and rear brakes that can SKID. Ok, rear I get-front skids are SO dangerous.

AND on top of that, literally all walmart bikes barely stop.

Fortunately it is a little known or enforced law. Even bike shops don't abide by it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/13/2019 6:00 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Here in the US (at least my state) you are required by law to have front and rear brakes that can SKID. Ok, rear I get-front skids are SO dangerous.

Fortunately it is a little known or enforced law. Even bike shops don't abide by it.

This guy was successfully able to argue that using his foot to stop his bike met the legal definition of a brake
https://bikeportland.org/2006/09/05/cyclist-wins-fixed-gear-case-1962

|

8/13/2019 6:13 AM

why not wear a helmet, Mr.Badass

|

fack off

8/13/2019 6:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2019 6:54 AM

SirCaseAlot wrote:

I like to think I would have avoided him if I saw him earlier...but he stepped out right in front of me. At that point I didn't want to get tazed or shot in the back haha.

🤔 I don’t think a cop if going to taze you while your on your bike especially if their are whiteness around because im pretty sure that could be ruled attempted murder especially since you didn’t have a helmet on, and getting shot at definitely isn’t going to happen lol

Me personally would have swerved him, maybe even hoped into him, i mean you don’t just step in front of someone on a bike thats just asking to get fucked up, but im gonna assume you weren’t going very fast

See im from a bad area so i have high awareness i pay attention to literally every one around me because you never know when a wanna be rap brain retard is gonna try something stupid, always ready for that life or death situation

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

8/13/2019 7:55 AM

SirCaseAlot wrote:

🤔 I don’t think a cop if going to taze you while your on your bike especially if their are whiteness around because im pretty sure that could be ruled attempted murder especially since you didn’t have a helmet on, and getting shot at definitely isn’t going to happen lol

Me personally would have swerved him, maybe even hoped into him, i mean you don’t just step in front of someone on a bike thats just asking to get fucked up, but im gonna assume you weren’t going very fast

See im from a bad area so i have high awareness i pay attention to literally every one around me because you never know when a wanna be rap brain retard is gonna try something stupid, always ready for that life or death situation

"Because im pretty sure that could be ruled attempted murder "

You've never dealt with cops have you?

"Me personally would have swerved him, maybe even hoped into him,"

You've definitely never dealt with a cop.
|

8/13/2019 8:46 AM

That ticket is a bit much. It's 30 bucks here.

|

8/13/2019 9:03 AM

$337 AUD for a fucking bicycle violation now I've seen everything. and I thought I lived in an Orwellian shithole

|

i love dick

8/13/2019 11:32 AM

SirCaseAlot wrote:

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote: "Because im pretty sure that could be ruled attempted murder "

Lmfao you don’t know me

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

8/13/2019 12:23 PM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote: "Because im pretty sure that could be ruled attempted murder "

Lmfao you don’t know me

If you think a cop will get trialed for Attempted Murder for knocking you off your bike, you're livin' in the clouds. You'll be lucky if they get stuck with anything, let alone charged on a felony.

All they have to say is "I said stop and they didn't"

|

8/13/2019 12:49 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Da Biker Boy wrote:

This guy was successfully able to argue that using his foot to stop his bike met the legal definition of a brake
https://bikeportland.org/2006/09/05/cyclist-wins-fixed-gear-case-1962

Cool, but the actual verbiage states front and rear brake for my area, so arguing a foot is a brake would be a tall order.

Besides, brakes are fun. And they don't actually enforce it as almost all bikes would break the law, plus skidding doesn't make you stop faster.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/13/2019 12:56 PM

Lmfao you don’t know me

I just checked out crime rates of Akron compared to my area, and it is about the same per capita. SO that said, you are exaggerating a LOT to make it seem so bad.

Seriously. Why would those "rap brains" as you call them want anything to do with a kid on a bike? Why wouldn't they go after someone who clearly has money?

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/13/2019 2:41 PM

Lmfao you don’t know me

dave lawrence wrote:

I just checked out crime rates of Akron compared to my area, and it is about the same per capita. SO that said, you are exaggerating a LOT to make it seem so bad.

Seriously. Why would those "rap brains" as you call them want anything to do with a kid on a bike? Why wouldn't they go after someone who clearly has money?

I wouldn’t go by statistics there are plenty of unsolved assaults, shootings, murders, missing people ect around here that won’t make it into the statistics for the area, and im sure that can go for any area the world is a fucked up place and you should always be aware and ready to fight for your life

|

Testimony and apologies

instagram

old edit

8/13/2019 3:07 PM

Not helmet related, bell related. Why would you need a bell when you can just shout 'move b*tch'? I'm sure that could do a better job

|

8/13/2019 6:55 PM

Aussie comedians talk about how shit health and safety is in Australia , we need to stop bubble wrapping everything for safety to protect the weak and stupid , humanity’s starting to go against evolution

|

8/13/2019 7:44 PM

SirCaseAlot wrote:

I think you are also supposed to have reflectors and a light for night riding by law but I could be wrong.

Good reason to wear a helmet if for no other reason!

|

8/14/2019 5:01 AM

I wouldn’t go by statistics there are plenty of unsolved assaults, shootings, murders, missing people ect around here that won’t make it into the statistics for the area, and im sure that can go for any area the world is a fucked up place and you should always be aware and ready to fight for your life

Well statistics are reported issues, which is a tangible piece of evidence VS some random dude who e-thugs around a BMX forum making claims that it is "so much worse than the stats show" (paraphrasing)

Pretty sure I will go with tangible evidence all day on that one.

Also, if you spend your whole life looking over your shoulder and nervous, you miss out on a lot of fun.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/17/2019 10:00 PM

Popping back in to say i ran from the cops on my bike tonight and i got away. They got on their loud speaker and said they were going to arrest me and if i didn’t stop now they were going to put me down. Weaved in and out of alleys on my bike so they would have a hard time following in their car. Glad i got away.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/19/2019 5:32 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Popping back in to say i ran from the cops on my bike tonight and i got away. They got on their loud speaker and said they were going to arrest me and if i didn’t stop now they were going to put me down. Weaved in and out of alleys on my bike so they would have a hard time following in their car. Glad i got away.

"Put you down"...curious what that means...taser? Shot? Tackled?

I would hope at MOST, the last one (tackled).

But ultimately, running from police is stupid. I've had one encounter that was bad locally (long story), otherwise they tend to be like "Look I don't care that you are on your bike-beats being inside playing video games 100% of the day, but you can't do it here". And then I leave politely.

My experience would have me try to interact in a similar way each time-acknowledge that I got busted riding, and talking nicely. Most cops are just doing their jobs and would rather not deal with a shitty kid smarting off or being a wanna-be tough guy.

Polite actions tend to make future encounters better as well. If you are a bastard to them and they recognize you, they will be less lenient each time they run into you. If you are polite etc, they may be more likely to just tell you to go somewhere else.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura