I have a massive tight spot on my chain

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2020 4:25 PM

I took apart my cranks to try and fix the problem and I think what might be the problem is when I tighten down even just a little bit on my sprocket bolt to where my cranks go into my sprocket, it sort of bends the sprocket towards the crank which makes it uneven when I turn the cranks this is a brand new sprocket and cranks

|

7/25/2020 5:12 PM

Is the spacer on the wrong side of the sprocket?

|

7/25/2020 10:13 PM

cky199 wrote:

Is the spacer on the wrong side of the sprocket?

No it’s on the right side

|

7/25/2020 10:55 PM

If tightening the bolt warps the sprocket, that would be an indication that the sprocket isn’t mounted flush like it should be.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/25/2020 10:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2020 10:55 PM

Got a pic of the sprocket attached to the crank?

|

7/26/2020 10:07 AM

Loosen your sprocket bolt, tighten your drive side arm then tighten the sprocket bolt again And see how it goes

|

smile

7/26/2020 12:01 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

If tightening the bolt warps the sprocket, that would be an indication that the sprocket isn’t mounted flush like it should be.

Or the crank arm threaded portion is welded higher or lower than the center part that connects to the spindle. If they are cheaper cranks, its possible. Its happened to me. I had to put a small thin washer between the sprocket and threaded post for it to sit correctly. You could also probably grind whatever is higher flush but I wouldn't recommend that.

|

7/26/2020 6:27 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Or the crank arm threaded portion is welded higher or lower than the center part that connects to the spindle. If they are cheaper cranks, its possible. Its happened to me. I had to put a small thin washer between the sprocket and threaded post for it to sit correctly. You could also probably grind whatever is higher flush but I wouldn't recommend that.

Yes it’s possible but they aren’t cheap cranks they are odyssey calibur v2

|

7/27/2020 7:41 AM

I wonder if it's just the normal amount of imperfectness. I have to keep my chain a bit loose cuz the sprocket or chainring isn't perfectly concentric while pedaling and if I have the chain tight when I set up the rear wheel in the dropouts it gets too tight when pedaling at times. So I have to leave a bit of slack. It's been like that on a few bikes I've worked on and other people say the same thing.

But "massive" sounds like something's wrong. It's just a matter of if you're expecting the chain to be tight the whole time it might not work. Park Tool recommends an amount of 1" up or down flex(or is it 1/2".....). But I end up usually having to give it a bit more cuz it's hard to dial that in exactly and it's just easier to give the gears some room to breathe and not be perfectly concentric or round. However you would say that.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/27/2020 9:09 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I wonder if it's just the normal amount of imperfectness. I have to keep my chain a bit loose cuz the sprocket or chainring isn't perfectly concentric while pedaling and if I have the chain tight when I set up the rear wheel in the dropouts it gets too tight when pedaling at times. So I have to leave a bit of slack. It's been like that on a few bikes I've worked on and other people say the same thing.

But "massive" sounds like something's wrong. It's just a matter of if you're expecting the chain to be tight the whole time it might not work. Park Tool recommends an amount of 1" up or down flex(or is it 1/2".....). But I end up usually having to give it a bit more cuz it's hard to dial that in exactly and it's just easier to give the gears some room to breathe and not be perfectly concentric or round. However you would say that.

same i've never been one for perfect fully tight chains either, and i like to leave some slack in mine too.

|

7/27/2020 11:01 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

When I tension my chain by pulling the wheel back, I can only get it to where the tight spot of my chain isn’t to tight but not loose but then when I turn my cranks to the loose spot, it slightly hits my frame and if I tighten it anymore, the right spot will become to tight

|

7/27/2020 11:02 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

nadexey wrote:

When I tension my chain by pulling the wheel back, I can only get it to where the tight spot of my chain isn’t to tight but not loose but then when I turn my cranks to the loose spot, it slightly hits my frame and if I tighten it anymore, the right spot will become to tight

I did order new cranks and I have a new sprocket laying around somewhere so I can try those and see if it gets better

|

7/27/2020 1:29 PM

How old is your chain?

|

7/27/2020 2:35 PM

4130Junkie wrote:

How old is your chain?

It’s new

|

7/28/2020 8:47 AM

I can check but mine might hit my frame too. Hmmmmmm......

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/28/2020 8:27 PM

mine does the same thing i found out the reason is a bent crank arm and i got chain tentioners on my bike then the tight spot literally disperse

|

7/28/2020 9:15 PM

jesse07bmx wrote:

mine does the same thing i found out the reason is a bent crank arm and i got chain tentioners on my bike then the tight spot literally disperse

Holy shit you did it! A reply to a recent post. Congratulations.

|

7/28/2020 9:20 PM

jesse07bmx wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Holy shit you did it! A reply to a recent post. Congratulations.

thanks mansmile

|

7/28/2020 9:27 PM

jesse07bmx wrote:

thanks mansmile

You’re welcome.

|