I have no idea what I'm doing...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/10/2019 11:01 PM

...hen it comes to BMX. I've been riding mountain bikes for almost 20 years, I've worked in bike shops for the past 6 (albeit at a gravity park, very MTB specific), but have never had any exposure to BMX. I want to get into it for something new and fun to learn, and hopefully some will carry over to the big bike (and maybe even to skiing).

So I come to you for help! I've gathered that at 6'2"I need a 21.5/ProXL frame, probably 24" or maybe 20" wheels, and that hi-ten is bad (not really something I've encountered in the mtb world, especially now that everyone has a boner for carbon ). I'm a pretty solidly built dude, around 245lb right now, and I tend to have more power than finesse, so I'm guessing I really want to steer clear of hiten frames and components.
I want to primarily ride street, DJ and pump track (we have a pretty bangin' bike park in town here), probably won't ever get into flatland or racing.

I'm also currently building another endurbro mtb and building out a Sprinter, so budget is a little lower than ideal.

I have no idea what to look for in a bike, or really where for that matter. I've Googled a bit, but am still lost.
HELLLLLLLP!

Thanks in advance!

|

I do cool stuff

6/10/2019 11:28 PM

4130 chromoly is the best material you can get when it comes to BMX (unless you want to spend an absolute fortune on titanium). If you're wanting to ride proper BMX (jumping and doing tricks and stuff) I would definitely stick to 20" wheels.

Depends on your budget really. Are you after getting a complete in the 2-400$ range? 4-800? Or do you have the money to go custom and spend upwards of 1000? The Mongoose L100 is a good entry level BMX which I believe is around 3-400$ and I think it has a 21" top tube. That's by far the best bang for your buck within that price range. There's also the Eastern Shovelhead which is around 500 I think, a step up from the mongoose quality wise and also the best within its price range.

However if you have the money to go custom I would suggest the Mutiny Death grip frame, top tube sizes range from 21 up to 21.8 which would probably make the transition from MTB to BMX a little easier for you.

Let us know your budget and I'm sure we can recommend some good parts/completes that suit what you're after!

|

6/10/2019 11:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2019 11:48 PM

I'm 6'2 myself and I currently ride a 21.5 frame and it works well for me. 20" wheels work fine for our height as well imo however try riding different frame sizes, you may want to go even larger, but 21.5 is the lowest I'd settle for.

If you're jumping, please don't skimp out on rims, get double wall rims. I've seen people eat death tacos on cheaper rims. Given your height and size 4130 chromoly is also a must. You want to feel confident that your bike isn't going to bend or break if you go off some decent air and all 240 lbs of you lands hard on the frame.

I'm not sure what your budget is, however I would agree with RumHam that the Mongoose L100 is your safest bet, it won't break the bank and it has all of the important components you need, plus they look great. This way, if you find out BMX isn't for you, you won't have much buyers remorse. My only issue with the L100 is it is only a 21" frame. Which may feel and look small for you.

|

6/10/2019 11:47 PM

Realistically, I have to stay under $450. I wish I had more to sink into a better bike, but at the moment thats the way it is. I'm also not opposed to a used bike.

|

I do cool stuff

6/10/2019 11:54 PM

For that price you can't go wrong with the L100, you would even have some cash left over to spend on any upgrades that you wanted. There's the possibility that the 21" top tube may be too small for you given your height and MTB background but you never know. Some short guys like riding huge frames and some huge guys like riding tiny frames, recommended sizes for your height are just guidelines, it all depends on how you feel comfortable

|

6/10/2019 11:59 PM

I'd first narrow it down to if you want a 20 or 24 inch first. Also 22 inch does exist. In the scale of popularity right now from most to least:

20 inch: Huuuuge amount to chose from.
24 inch: Quite a few options.
22 inch: Less available, harder to find.

|

6/11/2019 1:34 AM

There is this GT Conway Team Signature that is being recommended in other threads at 21.25" TT which would have you covered.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/conway-team-signature-1817

The other Conway variants are an even 21" according to the specs online.

|

6/11/2019 4:42 AM

The smallest frame I'd be willing to ride at your height would be 21.25". But I like a bigger bike. There are people your height who ride 20.75 & even 20.5. But with your background, a 21.25 or 21.5 would suit you. Either way, with your background it will take some getting used to. There are some decent bikes out there in your price range but like you said, used is a great way to get into a better bike for less. You might have more trouble finding a size you like in the used market, however. I did find this bike, which I think is a great deal:

https://www.amazon.com/2019-Harti-Trans-Black-Bike/dp/B07KBWBKPB/ref=asc_df_B07KBWBKPB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312131999963&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10710904497388842587&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018803&hvtargid=aud-643330155750:pla-647083882461&psc=1

It does have single wall rims but if you aren't riding hard, trying to pull spin tricks, etc... they would probably be fine until you were ready to upgrade.

|

6/11/2019 10:35 AM

Thanks for all the input! Is there a reason most of you have suggested 20" wheels? Not challenging, just curious (or oblivious, maybe)

|

I do cool stuff

6/11/2019 10:53 AM

ADudeOnSkis wrote:

Thanks for all the input! Is there a reason most of you have suggested 20" wheels? Not challenging, just curious (or oblivious, maybe)

top tube size matters...

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

6/11/2019 10:57 AM

ADudeOnSkis wrote:

20" wheels are really just stronger. That is not to say that you can't ride street on a 22 or 24 but the wheel size starts getting awkward the bigger they get.... particularly with any sort of spin tricks, etc...

|

6/11/2019 11:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2019 11:59 AM

In regards to the L100, if you are going to ride street (I assume grinds?) I would recommend buying a spare front wheel (or hub if you lace) and fork. A new stem, pedals, chain and sprocket shortly after will get you where you need to be for a good while.

|

6/11/2019 12:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2019 12:37 PM

I am 6'2". I currently ride a 21in top tube 20 wheeled BMX coming from MTB (but not as long as you). I'd personally like a bit longer frame but a 21in top tube isn't the end of the world for me with taller bars (running 9.5in rise bars).

Maybe look for a used custom build.

|

6/11/2019 12:53 PM

|

6/11/2019 2:03 PM

Funny you should suggest that; I almost bought one years ago. Although it was a 24 or maybe 26 wheel.

|

I do cool stuff

6/12/2019 7:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 7:35 AM

Newb to BMX or at least modern BMX. I've been searching for a similar bike, haven't purchased yet, but the Fit TRL Harti looks like an option. It's the only Complete 21.25 that I've found so far.

https://fitbikeco.com/shop/bikes/2019-trl-harti/

Local shop had this bike, a 21" complete and a 22" wheel bike. Just sitting on/standing over the 22 felt "big", not MTB big, but big. The 21.25 felt a little better, less small, compared to the 21. My only comparison is coming from my Vintage Mongoose, just used for tooling around at events or MTB/Road Bikes that I ride more often. I'm 6ft for reference.

|

6/12/2019 9:31 AM

325racer wrote:

Newb to BMX or at least modern BMX. I've been searching for a similar bike, haven't purchased yet, but the Fit TRL Harti looks like an option. It's the only Complete 21.25 that I've found so far.

https://fitbikeco.com/shop/bikes/2019-trl-harti/

Local shop had this bike, a 21" complete and a 22" wheel bike. Just sitting on/standing over the 22 felt "big", not MTB big, but big. The 21.25 felt a little better, less small, compared to the 21. My only comparison is coming from my Vintage Mongoose, just used for tooling around at events or MTB/Road Bikes that I ride more often. I'm 6ft for reference.

GT does a 21.25 complete. The Conway Team. It has a more responsive geometry than the Harti.

|

7/4/2019 6:49 PM

Decided to bump this instead of starting a new one...

So I've narrowed it down to:
Conway Team or Mercado Comp
Legion 100
Gap XL

I work at a GT dealer so that's an added bonus for them. I have no idea how to decide aside from with my wallet. Thanks again for the help everyone!

|

I do cool stuff

7/5/2019 4:02 AM

ADudeOnSkis wrote:

Decided to bump this instead of starting a new one...

So I've narrowed it down to:
Conway Team or Mercado Comp
Legion 100
Gap XL

I work at a GT dealer so that's an added bonus for them. I have no idea how to decide aside from with my wallet. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Honestly the best things to look for in a complete:

As much chromoly as your budget allows (frame, fork, bars, cranks)

sealed bearings

double wall rims (ideally welded seam)

The size of frame you want

the color you want.

Have at it outside of that!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/5/2019 10:48 AM

The Conway has the longest TT. It ticks all the boxes Dave mentioned. I'd go for that especially with you working at a dealer.

|