I’m confused with my riding stance?!?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/5/2020 2:34 PM

So I’ve been riding for quite a while now, however a lot of people have mentioned to me I ride quite a strange stance and it has stopped me from doing certain tricks such as crank arms and I also find feeble hards easier than easies. So I ride (right foot forward & I turn right which is goofy however I grind on my left) which makes things weird cause I turn out of grinds the wrong way, I’m also using a rhd set up atm so I’m thinking of switching but that seems weird to me and I can’t work out what side I would crank arm on? I know there’s not much of a question to this and it’s quite vague but I need to know if I’m doing something wrong or I should change something?

|

4/5/2020 3:04 PM

Sounds like its working for you. Just find tricks that work well with your stance and keep doing em. wink

|

4/6/2020 5:56 AM

Don’t switch to lhd. You grind on your left. So don’t damage more stuff. As for crank arms. Try for your right crank.

|

4/6/2020 6:39 AM

having a weird or different riding stance / style IS A GOOD THING.

You will end up with a different riding style.

this is good.

|

4/6/2020 8:24 AM

There’s no wrong way to get out of a grind, and feeble hards are cooler anyway.
For the lsd setup, go for it, go do some crankarms and do not worry about breaking stuffs, just get a good drive side guard (eclat overguard) and eventually a guard sprocket.

|

4/6/2020 8:29 AM

You turn out of grinds the correct way you just spin unnatural for your stance take it from me having a goofy stance can be a blessing in disguise I love being goofy

|

I believe in hub guard protection

4/6/2020 11:35 AM

Like everyone said, don’t worry about it that much, just focus on riding!

I’m left foot, spin left, grind right. Many riders are like this, from amateur to pro.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/6/2020 12:11 PM

Ollybester2001 wrote:

So I’ve been riding for quite a while now, however a lot of people have mentioned to me I ride quite a strange stance and it has stopped me from doing certain tricks such as crank arms and I also find feeble hards easier than easies. So I ride (right foot forward & I turn right which is goofy however I grind on my left) which makes things weird cause I turn out of grinds the wrong way, I’m also using a rhd set up atm so I’m thinking of switching but that seems weird to me and I can’t work out what side I would crank arm on? I know there’s not much of a question to this and it’s quite vague but I need to know if I’m doing something wrong or I should change something?

I have the exact same stance, you just kind of adapt your stance based on the trick you're doing.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/6/2020 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2020 8:21 PM

People will say to do tricks whichever directions you like, which yeah, you can do that, but if you can switch what direction/side you are comfortable doing tricks, it is worth it. My switch bars were my regular once, but I just sat there spinning them the correct way until that was my comfortable way to throw them, just like whenever I was was at the skatepark waiting for a clear path to do a trick, I would just sit there throwing bars the right way, or when I was just watching other people ride I would do that, eventually it felt more comfortable to throw them the right way, same with grinds, at first I had my pegs on the "wrong" side, I just switched them over and got used to it pretty quickly.
Not gonna say you NEED to start doing tricks the "correct" way, but if you do, riding will be a lot funner and it will allow you to be a better rider.
This is the "correct" way to do tricks.
If left foot forward:
barspins/ all bar-turning/spinning tricks: counter-clockwise
tailwhips: clockwise
spins: clockwise
grinds: left side
edit: if right foot forward, then the opposite of whats above, bars - clockwise, whips - counter, spins - counter, grinds: right side

I think it's worth it to learn your stuff the right way but if you've already been riding for a while, it might not be worth it to relearn your tricks the right way, because if you've already gotten very used to the "wrong" way then I imagine it would be very difficult to switch.

|

4/6/2020 8:40 PM

Nobody can be a better you than you. Ride it like you stole it..

|

5/8/2020 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2020 3:18 PM

im a bit late, but same! im right foot forward spin right and grind on the left! i definitely agree that hardway spins are easier out of my 'regular' side grinds, and i do struggle with crankarms and such too, but as everyone else says, i love my stance as it makes my riding unique and makes me improvise over all the 'normal' tricks people do. also i run rhd and plan to keep it that way but that's just my personal preference.

|

5/9/2020 11:03 AM

Yeah, we're all different. I'm all normal ish, to a point. Right foot forward, spin left. But then I actually prefer to use my left foot for footjaim tailwhips and spin the bike to the left from the rear. Which seems natural but a lot of right foot forward guys will footjam with their right foot and spin the frame the other way. Which just feels all wrong to me.

I do footjam endos with my right foot though. LOL. I don't grind yet. Don't even really plan to. More into riding on the flat ground.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/9/2020 11:09 AM

Ollybester2001 wrote:

I dont skate anymore but I had a similar problem. Skate goofy (right foot forward) but kicked with right foot. It made staying straight when kicking especially difficult lol. I guess your options are to learn to ride left forward, grind right or just deal with it? If you learn either alternative, would probably improve your riding overall

|

5/9/2020 6:49 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I’m left foot, spin left, grind right. Many riders are like this, from amateur to pro.

True to a certain extent. I'm not an avid skateboarder, but nobody ever told me I was skating mongo. Now when I get on a longboard, I wish at least I could push correctly. Maybe I'll get to a parking lot sometime soon and learn a little more. But yeah it's good to catch that shit early, and often times the person finds out they are more ambidextrous than they thought and those riders have serious advantage. So yeah, at least try other styles, and put in work, don't try it for five minutes and write it off.

|

5/9/2020 7:49 PM

yeahdude wrote:

True to a certain extent. I'm not an avid skateboarder, but nobody ever told me I was skating mongo. Now when I get on a longboard, I wish at least I could push correctly. Maybe I'll get to a parking lot sometime soon and learn a little more. But yeah it's good to catch that shit early, and often times the person finds out they are more ambidextrous than they thought and those riders have serious advantage. So yeah, at least try other styles, and put in work, don't try it for five minutes and write it off.

I 100% agree with the skateboard logic, but I feel like on a BMX, and any bike in general, everybody pedals the same. I was unsure of what way I spun when I began riding, and to this day, many years later, I still don't know for sure what my opposite spin is, left and right feel no different.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/9/2020 8:40 PM

Lucky you. I don't ride as seriously as I used to, but I'd click a 180 lookback hard AF before I'd even think about doing a regular oppo 180. Even the rollout, I'd make sure I went backwards til the flat bottom so my Indian giver paid the backwards god enough for it to actually count. I didn't even like carving corners to the right, but that was a little easier

|

5/11/2020 10:50 AM

readybmxer wrote:

yeahdude wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

I 100% agree with the skateboard logic, but I feel like on a BMX, and any bike in general, everybody pedals the same. I was unsure of what way I spun when I began riding, and to this day, many years later, I still don't know for sure what my opposite spin is, left and right feel no different.

Luckeeeey, I'm really one sided. My body is kind of that way. Even when I sit on the left side at church and am looking to the right more it gets uncomfortable and my neck pays for it. I gotta sit on the left.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun