I’m on a 25t sprocket,the style I want is only sold in a 28t will I need a new chain?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/23/2019 7:29 AM

I only ride it around town not to do stunts

|

10/23/2019 7:41 AM

You’ll need a few more links

|

10/23/2019 7:45 AM

Yeah that’s what I thought

|

10/23/2019 11:17 AM

Depends. How old is your old chain? If it is relatively new (and so are the sprocket and cassette), you should be fine with a few extra links.

|

10/23/2019 11:21 AM

It’s about 2 months old that’s what’s annoying about the size difference I’ve thrown the extra links away 🤦🏻‍♂️

|

10/23/2019 1:44 PM

marley wyatt wrote:

It’s about 2 months old that’s what’s annoying about the size difference I’ve thrown the extra links away 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah always keep the spares. Not only to lengthen chains in your case, but also to replace ones that break.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

10/23/2019 2:15 PM

How slammed is your wheel and how loose is your chain now? If it's not slammed or your chain is a little loose currently you might get away with just slamming the axle to make up for the extra few teeth on the front sprocket without having to mess with your chain.

Realistically though, you'll need to add a few links.

And as readybmxer says above, always keep all your spare bits and pieces!

|

10/24/2019 6:30 AM

What sprocket are you looking at that only comes in 28?

I would also recommend getting a 10T Driver or a new rear hub that has one. 28/9 seems a bit ridiculous for someone who only intends on using it to pedal around, and not to do tricks with.

People generally use larger sprockets to help with pedaling at tricks that have minimal run up, or to get a solid crank in before dirt jumps, etc.

Might be okay if you live in a pretty flat area, but pedaling up hills with 28/9 is horrible compared to 25/9.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/24/2019 8:39 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I would also recommend getting a 10T Driver or a new rear hub that has one. 28/9 seems a bit ridiculous for someone who only intends on using it to pedal around, and not to do tricks with.

People generally use larger sprockets to help with pedaling at tricks that have minimal run up, or to get a solid crank in before dirt jumps, etc.

Might be okay if you live in a pretty flat area, but pedaling up hills with 28/9 is horrible compared to 25/9.

The opposite, cranking a 25x9 feels like pedaling for nothing, 28 will feel much better to cruise around the streets.
25 is good for kids and that’s it.

|

10/24/2019 10:12 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I've been running 28/9 for 2 years and it is AWESOME, even for short run ups. Hills always suck. But it isn't anything a person wouldn't get used to.

Typically an easier ratio would be better for short run-ups-kinda like an easy gear on an MTB.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/24/2019 11:17 AM

I prefer 28 for getting up hills. You can keep your speed up rather than putting in loads of effort to slowly crawl.

|

10/24/2019 3:15 PM

I’d get a new chain

|