I need advice after a serious injury

Related:
Create New Tag

5/2/2018 11:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/2/2018 11:39 PM

I have have been suffering from sciatica for almost a year (which is a pinched nerve in you lower back) and it was serious pain but i would push through the pain and ride through the pain and wore a back brace to help but the pain begun getting worse and had to stop riding 8 months ago, then after the christmas break i went back to work and my back got ten times worse and would result in me being in tears every day at work, then i started needing to take codeine to get through the day as a stonemason.

I had been seeing a chiropractor but it wasnt doing anything so i got a MRI and found i had a bulged disk in my L5 S1 (tear in a disk in my lower back resulting in the inside of the disk being squished out the back into the sciatic nerve). It is the most excruciating pain and iv been bed ridden for the past few months because i havnt been able to stand up without incredible pain and in order for it to heal im not aloud to move basically. This is a life long injury which results in a weaker back for life. i have to quit my career because i will not be able to do manual labour again. In order for my back to not give way again i must keep my body strong

This injury was more than likely caused by poor lifting technique from 6 years of manual labour and maybe a bit from from riding but im not sure about the riding effecting it. I've ridden BMX everyday since i was 4 years old and it is my life and dont want to stop, but i cant go through this pain again and being bed ridden and out of work.

So my question is has anyone got any experience with disk bulges and BMX????
Will i be able ride again once i get stronger??

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...

5/3/2018 12:14 AM

Yup.

I had the same thing happen to me 8.5 years ago. I did the same thing you did and pushed through the pain until one day I couldn't put my pants and socks on without using extra long BBQ tongs. I could NOT bend down far enough to touch my feet without EXTREME levels of pain.

I had surgery and that didn't fix it. MRI's after the surgery showed that the disc was no longer pushing into the nerve but the doctors thought that because the nerve had been irritated for so long, it was maybe 'stuck' that way...

I saw a bunch of physical therapists. They all sucked (just push through the pain / no pain no gain). WRONG. nerves don't work like that.

I started doing doing Bikram yoga every day. (it sucks) I did it for 6 weeks and suddenly my pain was gone. I was able to ride again. A few times I would case a decent sized dirt jump (20+ footer) and the pain would come back. I'd stop physical activity, maybe do yoga again (bikram yoga, the other styles never did anything for me). Eventually, the pain would go away and I could get back to riding.

HOWEVER... I've been dealing with the same pain AGAIN, for the last six weeks. I have stopped all physical activity other than work and it is SLOWLY improving. I plan to start yoga again soon.

I am HOPING the pain will go away.

My core is strong. I'm not overweight (under, if anything)

fuck chiropractors. They're worthless if you're into sports.

Find a sports doctor and sports therapists. Someone that understands how you are abusing your body.

Good luck.

|

5/3/2018 12:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering with this. I am in the same boat. I have a disc bulge at L5/S1 and osteoarthritis of the Facet joints at L4/L5 with foraminal stenosis (narrowing of the nerve canal). The cause of this is much the same as yours, years of lifting and carrying.

The worst thing you can do is nothing at all, as your muscles will start to weaken and stiffen which will make your symptoms worse. Some moving around and trying to do normal tasks e.g. Hoovering and other household things will certainly help.

Getting a firmer mattress and lying flat on your back with no pillow will help. As will working on your posture while sitting, standing and walking. Also working on your core and lower back strength will help to support your lower back and will take some of the pain away and in the long run maybe most of it.

I know people have a bad view of pain killers but if taken correctly they do help. There are drugs that help with nerve pain (pregaballin) which is an opioid and it will help you to move around more comfortably which will help your rocover quicker, if your in too much pain you won't move normally and that compensation for pain will weaken your muscles further.

There are surgical procedures that help in extreme cases possibly like yours. These are all options that you should speak to your Dr about. Maybe going to see a good Chiropractor might help as he may be able to spot a mechanical problem with your spine that is adding to your condition. I have recently seen one you spotted that I had a twist and tilt and my lower spine. Since correcting it I have become more comfortable not perfect but I feel like I can stand up straighter and with work on my core/lower back strength, I will hopefully become more so.

I can't ride the way I would like to anymore but I can still ride, pumping around a BMX has almost know problems for me.

In summary things that will help -

-Swimming
-Working on posture while sitting, standing and walking.
-Yoga and stretching.
-Core and lower exercises.
-Trying to move normally and complete as many day to day tasks as possible.
-Eating a good varied and healthy diet.
-Keep hydrated.
-Get a firmer mattress and try to sleep flat on your back.
-Trying to stay as positive as your can.

It is hard work and frustrating but if you keep with it and seek medical help where needed you will certainly make an improvement to your quality of life.

Good luck and if you ever need some advice with it, I'm sure someone on here will always be willing to help.

|

5/3/2018 12:27 AM

I feel your pain, literally. I went through this EXACT thing 4 years ago and let me preface this by saying you will ride again, but that's all on you. Skip to the last paragraph under the _________ for help, I'm just gonna write up my experience too cause it fucking sucks so feel free to ignore it and skip right to the bottom haha

over 10 years ago I developed sciatica. It shot down my left leg. it was unbearable, and my lower back was hurting like hell. Like an idiot, I ignored it till it got pretty bad. My gym teacher told me to do some stretches, so I did, and I figured out cracking my lower back REALLY helped (don't recommend that, cause if you try to force it to crack you can make it worse. if it feels like it'll crack, crack it. don't force it) but then it went away until around this time 4 years ago (2014)

I let it get bad this time. Tried the stretches I did before, tried cracking it, nothing worked. It got so bad to the point where I could barely walk without being in pain and my left foot was slightly numb. Finally I got it checked out, doctor wasn't a lot of help but did tell me to stretch my hamstrings. I thought wtf good is that gonna do, so I didn't and it got worse. Eventually I got prescribed prednisone (small dosage steroids) which worked wonders, my pain was gone! ....aaaand it's back. shortly after I finished them all, it came back.

Finally, I got an MRI which confirms my l5s1 herniation, so they set me up to get an epidural injection shot (basically a steroid shot directly into the spinal column) and holy fuck that worked even more wonders. the pain was gone nearly instantly and my sciatica literally felt like it was a fire that had just been frozen at once. week or 2 later I went riding and took it VERY easy. didn't do anything besides hop up curbs, although I couldn't resist 1 footjam whip haha. Weeks went by, pain started slowly coming back but nothing like it was before at least. Opted for another shot, took the pain away again but some of it still persisted, like a jagged knife being jammed in my lower back. Luckily the sciatica was completely gone at this point. Saw my doctor again and he opted for the pills this time and unlike the first doctor I saw, he explained WHY I should be stretching my hamstrings and stuff. I'll get to that in a minute, but he gave me exercises to do to stretch my hamstrings/lower back, and strengthen my lower back/core. I did those, kept up on it, and it took months but I was soon back to near 100%. Even more time went by, and I was back to where I was before the injury took place

Sadly... last year (like around March) my back started acting up again, hurt like fuck, even though I'd been doing my stretches and shit BUT I did get a bit lazy with it so maybe that's why. Got jerked around by a dumbass doctor so I had to wait to see my regular doctor, who then OK'd me to get another shot which fixed me right up. Ended up getting a second one after another MRI which showed my bulging disc was actually a little better. It's been fine since then, still hurts from time to time but nothing like it was. Some lingering pain/popping from landing funny and hurting it shortly after all that too, but it's manageable.

________________________________________________________





so to get your back better, stop doing things that harm it. improve your posture, lift with your legs and not your back, stop sitting on your wallet, kneel down when picking something up. You can pick up heavy items still, but only if you do it properly.

Stretch your hamstrings. Stretch your whole body actually, it's good for it. But stretching your hamstrings will improve your lower back with time. it seems like it won't, but after being explained why, it makes sense. I forget the exact explanation so you'll have to look it up if you wanna know, but basically tight hamstrings make your lower back work more when doing things like walking/standing. so stretch them hammys.

Strengthen your core/lower back muscles. This is key to ensure it won't relapse. You want your muscles to do the work, plus everybody likes abs. AVOID SIT UPS/CRUNCHES! They just made mine worse so I got rid of that out of my mental workout plan. Some people say they work for them still, some say if you do them "properly" they work, but I did them properly and they still irritated my back so I avoid them

Lastly, everybody's back is different. No, we're not all mutants and have different structured backs. I mean what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. For instance the sit ups/crunches. It works for some, but for me it doesn't. Figure out what feels best for you

What I do is stretch first. I stand next to my bed and bring one leg up at a time onto the bed and get a good stretch, then I slightly bend my knee and lean in to get a good stretch in my upper leg. Then I do standing toe touches, this is another that hurts some but works for me. I then lie on my back and place a towel wrapped up in the curve of my foot, then pull my leg towards me while slightly bent. I do this a couple times for each leg. Then I do cobra stretches (I feel like this one helps the most but idk) where you lie face down then use your arms to raise your upper body to get a good stretch in your lower back.

Then for strengthening, all I do right now are planks and oblique planks. They seem to work, but I'm sure there are other ones to try.

Obviously for all this, a visual is helpful so be sure to Google like "hamstring stretches" and whatnot. Just do some Googling and keep at it, but remember it's not gonna feel better overnight. Gonna take some time, weeks, months, maybe even a year.

|

5/3/2018 2:03 AM

Great effort and great info in these responses. Hope all have a return to good health.

|

5/3/2018 5:07 AM

About 2 years ago i had the same thing happen to me. I had a herniated disc in my L4/L5. An MRI confirmed this. The nerve pain was so bad that I wasn't able to stand for more than 5 minutes at a time. Doctor recommended surgery to fix the problem. At the time I had really good health insurance so I opted in for the surgery. Easiest one I've ever had. I was up walking the very next day, by doctors orders. The 2nd day after I went on a 1 mile walk. The recovery is simple no lifting of anything over 10 pounds for 2 months. After the full recovery I have been able to get back on my bike pain free!!! Good luck with your situation. Back injuries and getting old are no joke. Shoot me a DM if you want any more details. "Rubber side down"

|

5/3/2018 5:42 AM

I was well on my way to that, I believe. I had dealt with back pain & back spasms from sciatica for about 7 years until I was in a car accident. I was given physical therapy that just didn't seem to be doing much when I asked my doctor and phys therapists if a chiropractor would be helpful.... or at least not do any harm. They said it would be fine but, of course, that treatment was not covered under the current conditions. So, I go anyway & pay out of pocket. While I had x-rays after my accident, they weren't looking for anything other than broken bones & the like. It wasn't until my chiropractor took comprehensive spine x-rays from all angles that I found out that my spine was misaligned by about 1/2" where my spine met my hips... and it was just getting worse. This misalignment was pulling on one part of my spine & pushing on my discs causing them to bulge out & cause my sciatica issues and spasms. I'd be walking & suddenly freeze up in excruciating pain... unable to move until my muscles relaxed. It was sort of like getting an immediate sudden muscle cramp in your back. Anyway, I began weeks of therapy & traction in which they would pull my hips in one directing and my lower spine in the other. That, combined with standard adjustments put my spine/hips/discs back into a normal alignment. Looking back, I still can't believe it took me so long to get proper treatment. I always just listened to my doctor who told me it was muscular & I just needed to "stretch more".

|

5/3/2018 6:45 AM

SteezOnLock wrote:

I have have been suffering from sciatica for almost a year (which is a pinched nerve in you lower back) and it was serious pain but i would push through the pain and ride through the pain and wore a back brace to help but the pain begun getting worse and had to stop riding 8 months ago, then after the christmas break i went back to work and my back got ten times worse and would result in me being in tears every day at work, then i started needing to take codeine to get through the day as a stonemason.

I had been seeing a chiropractor but it wasnt doing anything so i got a MRI and found i had a bulged disk in my L5 S1 (tear in a disk in my lower back resulting in the inside of the disk being squished out the back into the sciatic nerve). It is the most excruciating pain and iv been bed ridden for the past few months because i havnt been able to stand up without incredible pain and in order for it to heal im not aloud to move basically. This is a life long injury which results in a weaker back for life. i have to quit my career because i will not be able to do manual labour again. In order for my back to not give way again i must keep my body strong

This injury was more than likely caused by poor lifting technique from 6 years of manual labour and maybe a bit from from riding but im not sure about the riding effecting it. I've ridden BMX everyday since i was 4 years old and it is my life and dont want to stop, but i cant go through this pain again and being bed ridden and out of work.

So my question is has anyone got any experience with disk bulges and BMX????
Will i be able ride again once i get stronger??

You will absolutely be able to ride again, but you've got a lot work ahead.

As others have said, stretching is a huge part of it. You could also look into getting a TENS/EMS device. These are the handheld little electronic things with pads you stick on parts of your body. They stimulate muscles, massage, and help relieve pain. Look into one for sure. They can give you enough relief to live a normal life.

Don't get down on yourself, but start taking care of yourself. Get into a stretching regimen. Eat healthy, and like others have said, don't do things that aggravate your back. I pretty much landed myself in the ER 3 times from bulging disks, so I know the feeling.

BUT...I started to BMX seriously about 2 years after those trips to the ER. So it is possible to get better. Ironically, a chiropractor is what saved me. My body responds extremely well to adjustments.

You basically will have to find what works for you, but stretching and keeping yourself flexible and limber is something you can do every day to maintain. Good luck man, and like I said, you WILL ride again.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/3/2018 7:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/3/2018 8:29 AM

Thx for all the replies. I really didnt think i would get much on this topic here. Sounds like all our conditions have been very similar. I am a lot more confident after reading all your stories that i will ride again. At 24 yrs i would hate nothing more than having to stop so early.

I've seen a physio twice and they gave me an exercise to do ( like the cobra stretch sundaybmxRR mentions) but came back the second time and she told me to stop doing it coz it was making it worse and gave me another one where i lay on my back with my knees up and someone puts a towel behind my knees and gently pulls so its pulling my legs towards them to traction the disk, and was told to not do anything because I couldn't stand up for more 15 mins before i was in agony and needed to lay down, sometimes a few minutes depending on the day and sitting down has been a no go since January. So not to aggravate it i was told to lay down whenever it hurt which was in 10 -15mins....so im bed ridden basically, apart from my walks around the block untill it hurts, but im on the 9th week on bed rest and i can start to walk around a bit longer now, im close to pain free, but still got a numb left foot. I'm so unbelievably tired of having to eat everything laying down, it's so awkward haha

I wish i did something about it last year before it got so bad i had to stop working, There's a lot of things i know now i wish i didn't do. If i saw a physio like i wanted to it would of been fixed and i would still be working. If i learnt anything it's dont procrastinate which I am a black belt in haha.

Ive seen two doctors but doctors are useless and wernt any help. My physio refereed me to book a (it started with ''C'' but cant remember) ''cortisol'' injection to rid the inflammation because thats why i still feel pain apparently. Been waiting a month for it and get it in 2 weeks. All my savings are gone now and I'm broke and on government benefits which is fuck all. I cant even afford food this week. My chiropractor has been seeing me twice a week for free for the past few months because the first 2 months did nothing and i guess he felt guilty i was paying for nothing, which is good, i still feel it takes pressure off of the nerve and he gives me exercises to help.Yes TheDarkEnergist He has been using a TENS device and it helps, they are good.

Iv always stretched a lot, before this i could bend over and put my palms on the ground, cant even touch my knees ATM though lol. I will definitely look at bikram yoga pnj does. I stopped stretching a few weeks ago, i gotta start again.

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...

5/3/2018 8:54 AM

I had two bulged discs in my neck 2 yrs ago. I was unable to do anything from the nerve pain. I was on pain pills and couldn't work. I received a shot to reduce the swelling and it immediately relieved the pressure from the 2 nerve bundles that were affected. I started taking naproxen and stretching carefully. The biggest improvement for me was to switch to a buckwheat pillow to get better spinal alignment while I was sleeping. I still have weeks where my neck gets stiff and I have less range of motion. I just lighten the load for a short time and go back to the naproxen. Usually happens when I am working on spins and get a little whiplashed. Doesn't stop me from riding most of the time.

|

5/3/2018 9:12 AM

The Cobra is a stretch that MANY say works for them.

I find it does not work and it actually makes my condition worse.

So take everything that people (especially 'professionals' ) with a grain of salt. The one position that gives me relief is Downward Dog. But i have to stay in that position for 2-3 minutes. Doing it for 30 seconds isn't enough.

I use a stop watch and do 3 minutes at at time of downward dog. I try to do it as many times as I can.

|

5/3/2018 9:36 AM

SteezOnLock wrote:

Thx for all the replies. I really didnt think i would get much on this topic here. Sounds like all our conditions have been very similar. I am a lot more confident after reading all your stories that i will ride again. At 24 yrs i would hate nothing more than having to stop so early.

I've seen a physio twice and they gave me an exercise to do ( like the cobra stretch sundaybmxRR mentions) but came back the second time and she told me to stop doing it coz it was making it worse and gave me another one where i lay on my back with my knees up and someone puts a towel behind my knees and gently pulls so its pulling my legs towards them to traction the disk, and was told to not do anything because I couldn't stand up for more 15 mins before i was in agony and needed to lay down, sometimes a few minutes depending on the day and sitting down has been a no go since January. So not to aggravate it i was told to lay down whenever it hurt which was in 10 -15mins....so im bed ridden basically, apart from my walks around the block untill it hurts, but im on the 9th week on bed rest and i can start to walk around a bit longer now, im close to pain free, but still got a numb left foot. I'm so unbelievably tired of having to eat everything laying down, it's so awkward haha

I wish i did something about it last year before it got so bad i had to stop working, There's a lot of things i know now i wish i didn't do. If i saw a physio like i wanted to it would of been fixed and i would still be working. If i learnt anything it's dont procrastinate which I am a black belt in haha.

Ive seen two doctors but doctors are useless and wernt any help. My physio refereed me to book a (it started with ''C'' but cant remember) ''cortisol'' injection to rid the inflammation because thats why i still feel pain apparently. Been waiting a month for it and get it in 2 weeks. All my savings are gone now and I'm broke and on government benefits which is fuck all. I cant even afford food this week. My chiropractor has been seeing me twice a week for free for the past few months because the first 2 months did nothing and i guess he felt guilty i was paying for nothing, which is good, i still feel it takes pressure off of the nerve and he gives me exercises to help.Yes TheDarkEnergist He has been using a TENS device and it helps, they are good.

Iv always stretched a lot, before this i could bend over and put my palms on the ground, cant even touch my knees ATM though lol. I will definitely look at bikram yoga pnj does. I stopped stretching a few weeks ago, i gotta start again.

I'm glad to hear you are getting help. Doctors can be a nightmare sometimes and be very disinterested in your condition. It took 3 different Doctors for me to get a full diagnosis.

The cortisol is a steroid and I'd imagine they'll inject it into the epidural space behind the affected disc. I had the same injection for my lower back but for me it made my symptoms worse which can happen.

It's hard and frustrating and at times depressing but it will get better if you do your best to follow what your physio says and also do a lot of research on your condition. I've found that understanding mine has helped me a lot. Discovering what you can/can't do is a big thing as well because if you don't try something you'll never know if you can or can't do it.

When your feeling slightly better and able to do more I would highly recommend swimming or just being in a pool as the water supports your body and allows you to move and use muscles relatively pain free. Breast stroke would likely aggravate your back but most other strokes and just walking/moving in the pool would be good.



|

5/3/2018 7:00 PM

SteezOnLock wrote:

Thx for all the replies. I really didnt think i would get much on this topic here. Sounds like all our conditions have been very similar. I am a lot more confident after reading all your stories that i will ride again. At 24 yrs i would hate nothing more than having to stop so early.

I've seen a physio twice and they gave me an exercise to do ( like the cobra stretch sundaybmxRR mentions) but came back the second time and she told me to stop doing it coz it was making it worse and gave me another one where i lay on my back with my knees up and someone puts a towel behind my knees and gently pulls so its pulling my legs towards them to traction the disk, and was told to not do anything because I couldn't stand up for more 15 mins before i was in agony and needed to lay down, sometimes a few minutes depending on the day and sitting down has been a no go since January. So not to aggravate it i was told to lay down whenever it hurt which was in 10 -15mins....so im bed ridden basically, apart from my walks around the block untill it hurts, but im on the 9th week on bed rest and i can start to walk around a bit longer now, im close to pain free, but still got a numb left foot. I'm so unbelievably tired of having to eat everything laying down, it's so awkward haha

I wish i did something about it last year before it got so bad i had to stop working, There's a lot of things i know now i wish i didn't do. If i saw a physio like i wanted to it would of been fixed and i would still be working. If i learnt anything it's dont procrastinate which I am a black belt in haha.

Ive seen two doctors but doctors are useless and wernt any help. My physio refereed me to book a (it started with ''C'' but cant remember) ''cortisol'' injection to rid the inflammation because thats why i still feel pain apparently. Been waiting a month for it and get it in 2 weeks. All my savings are gone now and I'm broke and on government benefits which is fuck all. I cant even afford food this week. My chiropractor has been seeing me twice a week for free for the past few months because the first 2 months did nothing and i guess he felt guilty i was paying for nothing, which is good, i still feel it takes pressure off of the nerve and he gives me exercises to help.Yes TheDarkEnergist He has been using a TENS device and it helps, they are good.

Iv always stretched a lot, before this i could bend over and put my palms on the ground, cant even touch my knees ATM though lol. I will definitely look at bikram yoga pnj does. I stopped stretching a few weeks ago, i gotta start again.

yep, cobra stretch is one that works for some and not for others. I find that sometimes lying halfway on my bed with my back on the bed and my legs hanging off the bed touching the ground helps relieve pain in the lower area. I like to lie there like that for a few minutes then ease myself back up and it usually always helps. Again, everyone's different. You'll have to figure out what works best for you.

and you probably mean cortisone injection, like Fraser said above it's injected in the epidural space where the affected disc is. they had an x-ray machine or something over my lower back so they could guide the needle into the right spot and I could see it on the screen, it was kinda neat. hurt like fuck for a second but obviously the pros outweigh the cons here. Keep in mind what Fraser said is true also, sometimes these shots can make the symptoms worse, and sometimes they get worse then get better in the following days. It's hit or miss which sucks, and sometimes it takes more than 1 shot to do the trick so I hope it works for you. I'd never wish that sort of pain on anyone.

Also one more thing to keep in mind, if the shot does work and relieves your pain... You're not out of the woods yet. You need to keep up on strengthening your core/back and stretching if you want it to get better and stay better.

|

5/3/2018 9:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/3/2018 11:19 PM

Yea its a Cat scan guided injection that im getting, the doctor said that it has a good success rate. I dont plan on doing anything for at least a month or two after feeling better. I'll just be treating my back gently and working on core exercises, thats what my chiropractor recommends as well.

I do have one concern about riding, and that is twisting motions like spin tricks. I love to do 360's, 540's and 5 cabs and they require a lot or torque/twisting, and i would really miss doing spin tricks.

Do spin tricks affect your backs at all?

Do any of you ride motorbikes, specifically dirt bikes, because iv been waiting for years to be able to afford a dual sport dirt bike to ride around on and do jumps and stuff.

Does riding moto's hurt at all?
They have suspension but will jumps on them hurt?
What about picking them up coz they weigh around 150kg/300+lb

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...

5/3/2018 11:23 PM

SteezOnLock wrote:

Yea its a Cat scan guided injection that im getting, the doctor said that it has a good success rate. I dont plan on doing anything for at least a month or two after feeling better. I'll just be treating my back gently and working on core exercises, thats what my chiropractor recommends as well.

I do have one concern about riding, and that is twisting motions like spin tricks. I love to do 360's, 540's and 5 cabs and they require a lot or torque/twisting, and i would really miss doing spin tricks.

Do spin tricks affect your backs at all?

Do any of you ride motorbikes, specifically dirt bikes, because iv been waiting for years to be able to afford a dual sport dirt bike to ride around on and do jumps and stuff.

Does riding moto's hurt at all?
They have suspension but will jumps on them hurt?
What about picking them up coz they weigh around 150kg/300+lb

just make sure you don't do nothing. too much rest can be bad for it, you wanna stay mobile but within limits obviously.

360s, 540s, 540 cabs, even 540/720 tire taps don't really bother my back. 540 cabs used to, and sometimes I feel a small pain when hucking them instead of doing them properly, but they're usually okay. I don't do them that often though out of fear that they WILL make it hurt. Same with hop 360s, I can do them fine still but if we're just riding down the road I won't hop 3 just for the hell of it just in case haha idk it's weird.

I do 180 smith full cabs, manual 180s, feeble hard 180s, wallride 180s, and other spin tricks without issue. The only things I can think of that bother it are when I do manuals up slanted things. like if I manual up a hubba or something, it hurts sometimes, so I just stopped doing that altogether. grinding up things is fine, just manuals up hurt it for some reason.

|

5/4/2018 1:53 AM

SteezOnLock wrote:

Yea its a Cat scan guided injection that im getting, the doctor said that it has a good success rate. I dont plan on doing anything for at least a month or two after feeling better. I'll just be treating my back gently and working on core exercises, thats what my chiropractor recommends as well.

I do have one concern about riding, and that is twisting motions like spin tricks. I love to do 360's, 540's and 5 cabs and they require a lot or torque/twisting, and i would really miss doing spin tricks.

Do spin tricks affect your backs at all?

Do any of you ride motorbikes, specifically dirt bikes, because iv been waiting for years to be able to afford a dual sport dirt bike to ride around on and do jumps and stuff.

Does riding moto's hurt at all?
They have suspension but will jumps on them hurt?
What about picking them up coz they weigh around 150kg/300+lb

sundaybmxRR wrote:

just make sure you don't do nothing. too much rest can be bad for it, you wanna stay mobile but within limits obviously.

360s, 540s, 540 cabs, even 540/720 tire taps don't really bother my back. 540 cabs used to, and sometimes I feel a small pain when hucking them instead of doing them properly, but they're usually okay. I don't do them that often though out of fear that they WILL make it hurt. Same with hop 360s, I can do them fine still but if we're just riding down the road I won't hop 3 just for the hell of it just in case haha idk it's weird.

I do 180 smith full cabs, manual 180s, feeble hard 180s, wallride 180s, and other spin tricks without issue. The only things I can think of that bother it are when I do manuals up slanted things. like if I manual up a hubba or something, it hurts sometimes, so I just stopped doing that altogether. grinding up things is fine, just manuals up hurt it for some reason.

Ah yea ok fair enough, i always do 5 cabs a shit ton its my favourite trick. I'm just gona have to see. You brought up manuals, i remember they bothered me the most when i was riding through the pain, the last time i rode i put my back out trying to manual. Looking back at it that was one of the worst things to do with a disk bulge coz hunching your body forwards would of squished the disk out the back into the nerve like hell while holding yourself and the bike up, it hurts thinking about it.

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...

5/4/2018 5:09 AM

I have a question for those dealing/have dealt with Sciatica/bulging discs..

I had sciatica really bad last year, to the point where I woke up one day and physically couldn't move my leg. At the time, it was so bad that I was unable to stretch even (could hardly reach my knees, let alone my toes.)

I started undergoing therapy for it but had to quit early on due to having to quit work for wrist complications after a surgery.

I was basically a couch potato for 6+ months, so naturally all the sciatic pains went away for the most part, other than a slight uncomfort that I was able to ignore.

Fast forward to now, I've been back at work for a little over a week now (counting inventory in a lumber yard, havent been doing much lifting at all.) I have been stretching multiple times a day, in the morning, before bed, and plenty of times in between. Initially, I was able to get fully into my stretches with no issues (could reach past my toes even, for example.)

Now it seems like every day, I wake up & my sciatica is worse than the day before. My morning stretches are progressively getting much harder to do, & this morning I even had to skip a stretch because I couldn't get into it without severe pain (even though I was able to do it last night nearly pain-free.)

So my question for you guys is, should I be looking into if I have a bulging disc? Or would I know if that's the case (i.e. If I have said bulging disc, would it just feel like Sciatica, or is there other pains/feelings to accompany it that I should be looking for?) I definitely feel like I've been doing enough stretching to keep my Sciatica at bay, so I cant help but wonder if there's something else going on in there working against me.

Thanks in advance.. I need to put an end to this once & for all, so it helps to hear back from people who've already been through the medical nightmares that I'm sure are waiting for me..


P.S. I'm 99% sure my Sciatica (left side) was initially caused by riding BMX with a broken right wrist for so long. I've noticed that when I absorb any impact into my body, i lean to the left to keep from hurting my wrist. I pretty much take all the impact into my left side. That + van dwelling + potentially bad lifting technique at work seem to have done me in.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


5/4/2018 6:40 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I have a question for those dealing/have dealt with Sciatica/bulging discs..

I had sciatica really bad last year, to the point where I woke up one day and physically couldn't move my leg. At the time, it was so bad that I was unable to stretch even (could hardly reach my knees, let alone my toes.)

I started undergoing therapy for it but had to quit early on due to having to quit work for wrist complications after a surgery.

I was basically a couch potato for 6+ months, so naturally all the sciatic pains went away for the most part, other than a slight uncomfort that I was able to ignore.

Fast forward to now, I've been back at work for a little over a week now (counting inventory in a lumber yard, havent been doing much lifting at all.) I have been stretching multiple times a day, in the morning, before bed, and plenty of times in between. Initially, I was able to get fully into my stretches with no issues (could reach past my toes even, for example.)

Now it seems like every day, I wake up & my sciatica is worse than the day before. My morning stretches are progressively getting much harder to do, & this morning I even had to skip a stretch because I couldn't get into it without severe pain (even though I was able to do it last night nearly pain-free.)

So my question for you guys is, should I be looking into if I have a bulging disc? Or would I know if that's the case (i.e. If I have said bulging disc, would it just feel like Sciatica, or is there other pains/feelings to accompany it that I should be looking for?) I definitely feel like I've been doing enough stretching to keep my Sciatica at bay, so I cant help but wonder if there's something else going on in there working against me.

Thanks in advance.. I need to put an end to this once & for all, so it helps to hear back from people who've already been through the medical nightmares that I'm sure are waiting for me..


P.S. I'm 99% sure my Sciatica (left side) was initially caused by riding BMX with a broken right wrist for so long. I've noticed that when I absorb any impact into my body, i lean to the left to keep from hurting my wrist. I pretty much take all the impact into my left side. That + van dwelling + potentially bad lifting technique at work seem to have done me in.

I'm gonna try to be as quick as possible:

1 - Re-evaluate how you sleep. When I wake up and I'm sore, stiff, or whatever, I KNOW I slept wrong. Sleep is supposed to be when your body recovers, but many times I would wake up feeling like I just worked 8 hours on my feet. So if you sleep on your stomach, stop immediately. Try to sleep either on your back, or on your side with your knees stacked and pulled up close to your chest (as close as possible) Also make sure your head is as level as possible with your spine.

2 - If you think you may have a bulging disk, I recommend trying to do what you can to get confirmation of this. I waited for way too long a time to finally go to the doctor to get actual medical confirmation of what was going on. From there, he prescribed a chiropractor and luckily I found one that was able to give me my normal life back. Not saying this happens to everyone, but it's best to know exactly why you're hurting. Not just that you're in pain. Medical imaging is crazy and gets better every week, month, year. So the more information you have about what is wrong, the better you can attack it, and avoid the pitfalls of just popping pills to make the pain go away for a couple hours.

3 - Bulging disks can definitely cause sciatica. Things in the lumbar area of the spine are really fuckin complicated, so one tiny thing being out of whack - ESPECIALLY near a nerve - can do some crazy shit to you.

4 - Regarding your PS - Most likely yes, your sciatica was made worse by bad lifting habits, being young and not giving a fuck, and a physical imbalance. The goal for you should be to get your body, muscles, spine, all balanced. If you look up "deep glute stretch" on google, try that. That's a stretch specific to sciatica pain and might help.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/4/2018 12:47 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I have a question for those dealing/have dealt with Sciatica/bulging discs..

I had sciatica really bad last year, to the point where I woke up one day and physically couldn't move my leg. At the time, it was so bad that I was unable to stretch even (could hardly reach my knees, let alone my toes.)

I started undergoing therapy for it but had to quit early on due to having to quit work for wrist complications after a surgery.

I was basically a couch potato for 6+ months, so naturally all the sciatic pains went away for the most part, other than a slight uncomfort that I was able to ignore.

Fast forward to now, I've been back at work for a little over a week now (counting inventory in a lumber yard, havent been doing much lifting at all.) I have been stretching multiple times a day, in the morning, before bed, and plenty of times in between. Initially, I was able to get fully into my stretches with no issues (could reach past my toes even, for example.)

Now it seems like every day, I wake up & my sciatica is worse than the day before. My morning stretches are progressively getting much harder to do, & this morning I even had to skip a stretch because I couldn't get into it without severe pain (even though I was able to do it last night nearly pain-free.)

So my question for you guys is, should I be looking into if I have a bulging disc? Or would I know if that's the case (i.e. If I have said bulging disc, would it just feel like Sciatica, or is there other pains/feelings to accompany it that I should be looking for?) I definitely feel like I've been doing enough stretching to keep my Sciatica at bay, so I cant help but wonder if there's something else going on in there working against me.

Thanks in advance.. I need to put an end to this once & for all, so it helps to hear back from people who've already been through the medical nightmares that I'm sure are waiting for me..


P.S. I'm 99% sure my Sciatica (left side) was initially caused by riding BMX with a broken right wrist for so long. I've noticed that when I absorb any impact into my body, i lean to the left to keep from hurting my wrist. I pretty much take all the impact into my left side. That + van dwelling + potentially bad lifting technique at work seem to have done me in.

I remember reading something saying that “if you think you have/if you do have sciatica, you should go to the hospital for it, well, yesterday”

get that shit looked at. it’s likely a disc pinching the nerve causing it

|

5/5/2018 11:33 PM

How does doing fly out stuff treat you back? I'm gonna take a guess and say you can no longer do huge jumps that jolt your back.

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...

5/6/2018 2:33 AM

I find fly out tricks jolt my back which is annoying but pumping around, doing airs, jumping boxs and jumps at the race track are absolutely fine. Anything where I can really warm my body up and not have to use a lot of strength to balance or pull and twist myself is absolutely fine, for me anyway. I think it would just be a case of finding what you can and can't do. Riding whenever your back allows you would be good and keep your body semi use to riding. So when you go back to riding more it's not such a huge shock to the system.

|

5/6/2018 5:05 PM

SteezOnLock wrote:

How does doing fly out stuff treat you back? I'm gonna take a guess and say you can no longer do huge jumps that jolt your back.

I do boosted 360s fly out all the time without issue. As long as you compress properly when you land it’s fine. or at least fine for me


Photo

|

5/6/2018 10:06 PM

SteezOnLock wrote:

How does doing fly out stuff treat you back? I'm gonna take a guess and say you can no longer do huge jumps that jolt your back.

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I do boosted 360s fly out all the time without issue. As long as you compress properly when you land it’s fine. or at least fine for me


Photo

Oh mate you're making me a very happy man! Yea that's a boosted 3 alright

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...