I need help picking a good complete bike.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/11/2018 7:50 PM

Hey guys,
Like many new members I want to get back into bmx riding. Bumped into an old friend from when I was a kid and he's still riding after all these years. I have a couple of old school bikes (GT, Haro, Mongoose) but they are vintage and I don't want to mess them up shredding in NYC. I know full chromo is still the norm for quality. A few choices I've narrowed it down to is a Fly Proton, WTP Crysis (doesnt have a freecoaster) or something else you guys can suggest. I want a 21" top tube and a freecoaster in the $600 range. Any help would be great.

|

1/11/2018 8:04 PM

in that price range you are pretty much good to go with most companies. I am an old school rider (70's and 80's) as well who got back into it about 5 years ago. I am still using my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro for now.

Don't worry about the freecoaster at first I say. I ahve narrowed my search down to a Verde Luxe or possibly a custom build based on a Lairdframe frame.

The other companies I like are
Colony
Sunday
FBM
S&M
Cult
Fiend

in your price range, anything from these companies will be good

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/11/2018 8:17 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

in that price range you are pretty much good to go with most companies. I am an old school rider (70's and 80's) as well who ...more

Are the GTs and Haros complete trash now? I mean I'm sure they got bought up by big name companies and are probably produced in the same factories as Toys r Us bikes. I'm leaning toward a WTP but I hear they got too big as well.

|

1/11/2018 8:25 PM

Wtp aren't rider owned. But they make good completes. I wouldn't say haro or gt are trash now, but they sold out in the dark days, and haven't really done anything to prove their worth in bmx since.

You should keep your eyes open on the second hand market. Google will be your friend! If you see a nice bike for sale, get a spec list, Google the parts to see if they're good, and compare images to make sure you're not being lied to. There's loads of groups on Facebook that are good for picking up good used bikes and parts

|

1/11/2018 8:29 PM

The Crysis is a great bike. WTP are a great brand and they've earned it over the years.

If you really need a freecoaster. Check these out.

Kink Downside or SXTN. Fiend Type A+. Subrosa Letum.

|

1/11/2018 8:29 PM

we have a place in town that stocks Haro's and they seem real...klunky to me, for lack of a better term. no other bikes to ride around here, except if people at the park let you try theirs. I have been on a Verde, Fit, WTP and Kink in that way...they felt better than the Haro did, but were also set up better b/c they were active riders, not a floor model.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/11/2018 8:46 PM

It's hard finding something with a 21" TT and a FC in my price range.

|

1/11/2018 9:21 PM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

I don't know about that. For that money, I.think you can find something with a fc... If you really feel you need one. But you should look at used. I just picked up a '15 Fit PKG with a freecoaster for $140! The deals are out there... You just have to look.

|

1/11/2018 9:29 PM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Here a bike for $600 with everything you want in it, 2018 Kink SXTN complete.
https://www.danscomp.com/products/102910/2018_Kink_SXTN_Bike_(Sean_Sexton).html

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/11/2018 9:36 PM

They are out of stock at the moment but there's also this:

http://www.easternbikes.com/Natural-2018

|

1/11/2018 9:48 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

...more

That sexton has a LHD freecoaster

|

1/11/2018 10:58 PM

Go with a wtp crysis. Awesome 21" bike. Solid components. Great skeleton. Cant go wrong.

|

1/11/2018 11:51 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Go with a wtp crysis. Awesome 21" bike. Solid components. Great skeleton. Cant go wrong.

Is it possible to build something as good or better for the same price? Thanks in advance

|

1/12/2018 12:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2018 12:40 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Is it possible to build something as good or better for the same price? Thanks in advance

Buying parts aftermarket will let you fine tune what parts you start off with and possibly could be better quality but a frame is gonna set you back 200-300+ bucks, bars 50-100, fork 50-150, stem 20-80, grips 10-15, cranks 50-200, pedals 15-100ish, bb 20, headset 15-20, wheelset 200-400, tires 30-80, seat 15-40, post 10-50, chain 5-60, sprocket 15-40, tubes 5, brakes 30-A lot, pegs 15-50, hub guards 30-more, etc...very rough numbers keep in mind, but you get the point.

You could get close price-wise if you went with some used parts or got some killer deals on new but it would take a good while to get all the parts together, most likely.

Imo its best to start off with a decent complete that you like the feel of and replace parts as they fail.

|

1/12/2018 12:47 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

This . I run / ran tons of their parts and they’ve given me zero issues . I’ll ride anything they make and trust it 100% . The complete bikes are incredible for what you pay for , easily the most thought out bikes on the market . My local had some and I’m constantly in awe from how good they make bikes for the price they ask .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/12/2018 1:05 AM

Thanks guys, that was my first choice anyways.

|

1/12/2018 6:51 AM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Thanks guys, that was my first choice anyways.

Hey man, I'm relatively local to you so I'd be willing to help out! I actually have an unused free coaster for sale that I'm trying to get rid of. Check the for sale forum. If you buy the WTP complete and have it shipped to a store for assembly you could ask them to lace that hub into your rear wheel.

Plus, I don't have many people my age that ride around me, so maybe we could meet up someday and ride! I live by the new skate park in East Harlem.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/12/2018 9:51 AM

jbales wrote:

The Crysis is a great bike. WTP are a great brand and they've earned it over the years.

If you really need a freecoaster. ...more

This.

The 2014 WTP Crysis was my first ever BMX bike, and I've never regretted the choice. In fact I waited half a year for the next BMX shipment to arrive (back when I was still living in laos).

The WTP Crysis has now evolved into an ever better shred machine with good quality parts for as low a price as you will get (the 2016 version was exactly the same, size-wise, as the one I had-perfect size bars, etc). It's not only my opinion- the completes people always swear by are WeThePeople's.

WTP is also a very good company as for it's reputation. Whereas other bikes will have bars that constantly slip, stem face plates that crack around holes, or slippery grips and cheap tires, the WTP completes come out of the box ready to shred- and ready to shred hard.

And that fc can be swapped to a cassette. Just a quick 30 minutes and you can change the rear hub.

I've carried my parts over to my new frame- because they are still going strong (after all the bad landings, cased jumps).

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

1/12/2018 10:39 AM

Such a newb question but back when I was riding we didn't look at this....is the front hub supposed to be sealed?

Size: TT 20.5 & 21" CS: 13.2" HT 75º ST 71º
Frame: 4130 full crmo frame, tapered SS & CS removable pivots & guides
Forks: SALTPLUS “EX” fork, full 4130 crmo , 1pc formed crmo steerer, 28mm offset
Bars: 9" rise
Headset: Integrated
Brakes: ÉCLAT “Talon” alloy u-brake rear
Front Hub: SALT “EX” hub, sb, 3/8”s female bolts, 36h
Rear Hub: SALT “EX” cassette hub, full sealed, 9t, 14mm axle
Rims: ÉCLAT "Trippin XL” straight double wall rims, 36h
Tyres: Saltplus “Sting” 2.4" front / 2.3" rear
Gearing: 25t-9t
Cranks: Salt “Comp” tubular 3pc "TSS" crank crmo 170mm, 8 spline
Pedals: ÉCLAT “Slash” loose ball, nylon/fiberglass pedals
Seat: WTP "Crysis" fat padded pivotal seat
Stem: Saltplus “Center” top loading stem, 50mm reach
Weight: 26.6lbs

|

1/12/2018 10:42 AM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Such a newb question but back when I was riding we didn't look at this....is the front hub supposed to be sealed?

Size: TT ...more

Almost positive the crysis is fully sealed. It would be hard to believe if it wasnt...

|

1/12/2018 10:46 AM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Size: TT ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Almost positive the crysis is fully sealed. It would be hard to believe if it wasnt...

http://saltbmx.com/salt/products/hubs-spareparts/88-salt-ex-front-hub

This is it

|

1/12/2018 10:49 AM

Yeah.... it says right there that it's a sealed hub. & like Bullet said... It'sd be hard to imagine them not having a sealed front hub. Any complete worth it's weight will have sealed everything.

|

1/12/2018 3:26 PM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

...more

BrooklynGoon wrote:

That sexton has a LHD freecoaster

If you're looking for RHD coaster then, I believe the Fiend Type A+ is a RHD freecoaster...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/12/2018 3:37 PM

I was randomly browsing around the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see how decent looking the free agent complete line is these days

|

1/12/2018 4:07 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I was randomly browsing around the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see how decent looking the free agent complete ...more

Disappointed the cheapest full chromoly bike is $809.00. They dont look bad at all though.

I used to have a chromed out free agent when i was a kid. Couldnt do any tricks but It had pegs with the knurling and the hole at the end on them, they were threaded as well.

|