I need help with choosing wheels and headsets

Related:
Create New Tag

4/22/2018 6:05 PM

Im getting a Sunday Scout complete bike, and im gonna replace the wheels and maybe the headset. The headset is a fsa integrated headset. I have looked into it, but i havent found out anything about it. What is fsa and does it have a sealed bearing? The wheel on the bike is a single wall wheel, and im looking for a double wall. Im looking at wtp rims, is there any other rim i should check out?

|

4/22/2018 6:41 PM

1st off, don't buy the Sunday Scout, it's shit. Buy the Mongoose Legion L100 instead, pretty much the same price, but it's full chromoly and it has double wall rims front and rear, so you won't have a replace the wheels... and it has a sealed headset Im pretty sure... so buy that instead... NOT the Sunday Scout...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/22/2018 6:59 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

1st off, don't buy the Sunday Scout, it's shit. Buy the Mongoose Legion L100 instead, pretty much the same price, but it's ...more

I have two mongoose mountain bikes, and my brother used to ride a mongoose bmx, and all three of them broke constantly

|

4/22/2018 7:16 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

1st off, don't buy the Sunday Scout, it's shit. Buy the Mongoose Legion L100 instead, pretty much the same price, but it's ...more

Walter Harris wrote:

I have two mongoose mountain bikes, and my brother used to ride a mongoose bmx, and all three of them broke constantly

that's probably because he didn't read the specs on the bikes before he purchased. ANY FULL CHROMOLY BIKE is going to blow away a hi-ten bike regardless of brand. The key words here are FULL CHROMOLY, and not Mongoose or Sunday. You will spend what ever on the Sunday, and then at least as much getting better rims...to put on a crap/weak frame.

Do what you want in the end, but your money is better spent on the Legion than the Scout for durability....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/22/2018 7:17 PM

Every brand has good and bad models. The Legion L100 is a good mongoose. Sunday is a brand that is really, really good at the high end but the lower end stuff is bad value. If you do get the Scout, I'd probably just ride the wheels till the rims get a bit bent then upgrade.

|

4/22/2018 7:22 PM

I am looking at another bike, the fly Bikes Proton, which is out of my price range, but its the only bike that has everything im looking for, should i just save a little more money and get it?

|

4/22/2018 7:35 PM

Walter Harris wrote:

I am looking at another bike, the fly Bikes Proton, which is out of my price range, but its the only bike that has everything ...more

I remember that being a pretty hip bike when I first joined the forum about 2 years ago. Looks like it is full chromo everywhere. Sealed bearings. definitely better than the Scout in that aspect.
|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/22/2018 7:46 PM

Walter Harris wrote:

I am looking at another bike, the fly Bikes Proton, which is out of my price range, but its the only bike that has everything ...more

Yeah its better than the Scout, buy why not just go with the Mongoose?

|

4/22/2018 8:26 PM

Walter Harris wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

With all of the problems ive had with mongoose, i dont trust them at all

|

4/22/2018 8:32 PM

Walter Harris wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Walter Harris wrote:

That's because you & your family bought shit Mongoose products from Walmart. If you don't want to take our advice. Don't ask for it.

|

4/22/2018 9:08 PM

dont buy a bike and immediately replace parts, rather use that money as one lump sum and spend that on just a better complete. mongoose makes a good go-to entry complete. one of the first suggestions on any thread, that or an eastern.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

4/22/2018 9:08 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's because you & your family bought shit Mongoose products from Walmart. If you don't want to take our advice. Don't ...more

Exactly this. You're probably now some 13 year old kid who doesn't know anything about BMX bikes... and you know what, that's fine. All of us have been that kid, but some of us are smart, and listen to people who give them solid advice, and others, who learn stuff the hard way... and you know what, if you want to learn the hardway, that's fine with me. But, it would be wise listening to us, experienced BMX riders who know our stuff.

Just becasue you bought some $80 bike at Walmart, doesn't mean you should start basing a company... The Mongoose Legion L100 is a SOLID bike... fourm member @Bulletpup owns 2 Mongoose Legion L100 bikes, and beats the shit out of them and he hasn't had any of the parts fail on him yet... But, like I said, if you want to learn the hard way, that's fine with me. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm really trying to help you. I'm not trying to trick or deceive you dude, I'm only trying to help... I want you to have a solid bike that fits your budget dudesmile

|

4/22/2018 10:36 PM

Isn't this about the same price of a Sunday scout? Photo

|

4/22/2018 11:38 PM

Walter Harris wrote:

Yes, save the money and get the bike you want. Its a poop ton better than the mongoose and the Sunday scout.

Back to the original question. Fsa are a components company, mainly mtb and road, but it's good stuff. And a pair of wheels worth having will be as expensive as a half decent complete. So yeah, you're better off saving smile

|

4/23/2018 5:03 AM

Walter Harris wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

That's because you & your family bought shit Mongoose products from Walmart. If you don't want to take our advice. Don't ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Exactly this. You're probably now some 13 year old kid who doesn't know anything about BMX bikes... and you know what, that's ...more

Thank you for your help. I am young, but ive been researching some of this for close to a month. I don’t know much, compared to some of the people on this form. Its not the frames im worried about on mongoose though, will the parts be able to hold together? The frames on my bikes are still intact, but every other part is replaced or broken at the moment.

|

4/23/2018 5:14 AM

What is your budget? Surely if you can afford a complete AND upgraded wheels you are sitting in the 400-500 ballpark right?

Why not just get yourself something dialed in right away? You can likely score free shipping with Danscomp (Bottom 4). These will all be way more dialed than a Sunday Scout and a set of wheels/headset.

http://www.easternbikes.com/element-2018 this is 400 bucks.

http://www.easternbikes.com/Natural-2018 this is 600 bucks.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/101070/2018_Premium_La_Vida_Bike.html 529.95

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102965/2018_Fit_Corriere_FC_Bike_(Ethan_Corriere).html 539.95

https://www.danscomp.com/products/101070/2018_Premium_La_Vida_Bike.html 529.95

https://www.danscomp.com/products/102963/2018_Fit_Mac_Bike_(Shawn_McIntosh).html 479.95

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/23/2018 5:18 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Exactly this. You're probably now some 13 year old kid who doesn't know anything about BMX bikes... and you know what, that's ...more

Walter Harris wrote:

Thank you for your help. I am young, but ive been researching some of this for close to a month. I don’t know much, compared ...more

Check out Bullet's reviews here:

https://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Everthing-you-need-to-know-about-the-Mongoose-Legion-L100,1318025

In all honesty, the Legion L100 is a pretty impressive bike for the money. But I understand if you are weary... you aren't the first to feel that way & won't be the last. But as Honda said, we aren't trying to mislead you. We are trying to give you the best advice to make you successful on your budget. That said, if you are not into it, so be it.... it's all on you to choose what you want. To Rubio151, point, that Kink Whip is a great beginner bike that is full chromoly &, IMHO, is a way better deal than the Sunday Scout.

Lastly, if you haven't already seen it, check out the BMX Complete Bike Buying Guide (Freestyle)

It is a great resource for what's what in BMX as a starter guide.

|

4/23/2018 6:25 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

What is your budget? Surely if you can afford a complete AND upgraded wheels you are sitting in the 400-500 ballpark right?

...more

Im gonna have to work all summer to afford whatever bike i get, but i think i can maybe make 500 if i work all summer. Whatever bike i get, im trying to get from my local shop(rather they have it in stock or order it).

|

4/23/2018 6:29 AM

Walter Harris wrote:

Thank you for your help. I am young, but ive been researching some of this for close to a month. I don’t know much, compared ...more

That's how it goes, man. Unfortunately. The frame IS what you should worry about because that's more expensive than any other single part you can buy.

Here's my advice for someone looking to get into BMX but with a healthy dose of hesitation to invest in a Mongoose:

- Buy the L100 for as cheap as you can.

- Click Bulletpup's (Doug Thompson on YouTube) review of the bike. He unboxes it and goes over it piece by piece. I've never been in the market for that level bike and still watched. Doug is a great guy and a really vital (ha!) member to this forum. I would listen to his advice on the durability of a product. He breaks stuff on purpose. For science. Identify which parts make you nervous then....

- Scour EmpireBMX, AlbesBMX, Profile/Madera's website, SourceBMX, Odyssey's Website etc for clearance deals or sales. You can get sprockets for $25, stems for $30, etc. Don't be afraid to buy a year-old colorway.

(You would be SHOCKED at what you can get when it's a year old, never sold, and overstock. I got an Odyssey Tommy Dugan Front load stem in a gorgeous bronze finish for $22. That's like half what you pay for some stems. maybe even 1/3rd)

I bought a very expensive SE Complete in 2011 because I didn't really know much better. I ended up replacing literally every part on that bike besides the stem and handlebars. I could've done it cheaper, but I also learned how to work on, maintain, build, and make sure my bike was solid. The frame? Still in near perfect condition 6 years later.

So while you're worried about parts breaking, that stuff will and does happen. What you really don't want to break is your frame. Mostly because it's so expensive, and its considered a catastrophic failure that could really hurt you.

Good luck!

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.