I need new parts, suggestions?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2016 4:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2016 4:19 PM

Hey guys
As i stated before, ive been out of bmx for a few years...about 9 to be exact.
I have a 2001-2002 Atom Series Eastern Jane. The tires are Kenda K-Rads, Shadow Conspiracy grips, MX front and rear double wall rims, extended (10mm longer) cranks, and Primo Platform pedals. The rest is stock.

My riding style: I used to be into dirt and freestyle. I believe now ill mostly be freestyle with occasional dirt. I like gaps, stairs, etc now.

Im needing some advice:

1) First of all, i need new rims. These things are way off balance and bent. Still rideable, but annoying. Also, im pretty sure front are rear hub bearings are shot. The front doesnt roll long before coming to a stop. The rear hub is very loose and wobbles to the side a bit. Ive tried tightening it, but its either too loose or too tight, no middle ground.
Im looking for a complete rim in Red/Black 20X2.125-2.2. Also,must be double wall because i plan to abuse my bike. 14t Casette.
Heres and example of the color i want : https://www.danscomp.com/products/401271/Stolen_Rampage_Cassette_Wheel.html
Red rims with black spokes, or black rim with red spokes are fine.
Im looking to spend around 70-120$ for the rear rim.

2) Id like to replace my headset bearings. They are integrated, caged bearings, threadless fork. Id like sealed bearings but dont know if they will work with my setup. Like i said, ive been out of bmx quite a while. If someone could point me in the direction of good sealed or caged bearings, thatd be great. Dont have a price range for this, but not spending an arm and leg on bearings. Would also like to keep the Red/Black theme

3) Whats a good bottom bracket? I remember i got the bike new in 01, the stock BB turned gritty and ground the bearings down within the first 2 years. I replaced it with another one from Eastern that has worked well, but id like to replace them also while im at. I believe they are American. Again, red/black theme

**Notes: I dont care the brand, as long as the parts are decent quality. Also dont care what site the parts are from. I do like Eastern parts, but they seem to be lacking in the parts area and i know for the same money, i may be able to do better than Eastern.

Thanks in advance guys

|

9/20/2016 4:57 PM

The haro hypno rear is a real champ. Ive had it for 8 months and had 0 problems. And it's a double walled rim. Never tried the front tho..

|

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, is there a chance it will kill a squirrel?

9/20/2016 7:08 PM

Shadow conspiracy, G-sport and odyssey rims are all pretty good. I'd personally go with odyssey. As for hubs, shadow conspiracy raptors seem pretty good. A local pro rides them front and back, and they're still holding up for him.

|

9/20/2016 11:10 PM

Your headset won't be integrated if it's unsealed. They don't exist, it will either be external (cups on the outside) or internal (cups on the inside of the frame). Headsets and bb's are all much the same, just a different brands logo on them really. The bearings are the important bit, and as far as I'm aware, they all use the same ones.

I've just got some alienation felon rims and I think they're awesome. The material they're made out of is supposedly 30% stronger than whatever everyone else uses, the nipple holes are drilled at an angle, so the nipple sits at the angle of the spoke, putting less strain on the eyelet. Plus they're a fair bit cheaper than odyssey/g sport.

The hubs you should get depends on what you'll be doing with them. Heavy peg use, a bit of peg use, or pegless. Some female hubs have an alloy axle, which won't last with pegs, but gets rid of a bit of unnecessary weight if you're pegless

|