I need to lighten my bike!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/10/2009 9:10 PM

Black Pearl 2 2008. What's the best way to make it lighter? I already go plastic petals and a pivotal seat. Any advice would be great!

|

1/10/2009 9:11 PM

wheels.

|

*buybuybuy*

refs: too many to remember

1/10/2009 9:12 PM

poop before you ride? it cant be that heavy. just ride it as it is. dont get all caught up on how heavy it is. i can ride my 27 pound bike, then hop on my 37 pound bike and do the same shit i can on the 27 pound one. its all in your head.

|

(\__/)
(='.'=)
( .Y. )
(")v(")

09 Kink Transition...yes...i ride a tranny.

Im the CLIT commander of the sexy army.

1/10/2009 9:55 PM

just start pumping iron... if you got some muscle, you wouldn't be complaining

my bike's like 30 lbs, ya just gotta learn to move it and everything's good

|

chuck norris rides little kid's bikes!!!

1/10/2009 10:01 PM

if you really want a lighter bike then get folding tires and get smaller gearing that should help a little

|

I KNOW PEOPLE PROBALY THINK I SUCK.
I DONT CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF ME.
I DO BMX TO HAVE FUN.

1/10/2009 10:25 PM

Really guys, he wants to know how to lighten a bike not how to gain muscles.
If he wants to be a weight weenie let him.
I rode a "light" bike for the first time(22 lbs) and it was amazing.
I would say get a a small drive system some light wieght cranks and a new wheel set.
If you not looking spend money then cut down your set post to like 3 inches long,pull all the padding off your seat, cut down your steerer tube so you can slam your stem, cut down your axles flush with your bolt if you dont ride pegs, take out the links in your chain so your axle is touching your frame, shave down your drop outs to a cm longer then your axle and finnaly if you know someone that is good at cutting tubing then cut a slit in your seat tube like what eastern does.
all this done should save you ike a pound and a half. Yay!

|

I'm the 1% ressler711 cant beat the shit out of.

1/10/2009 10:30 PM

I think some people are taking it way too seriously. Cutting down axles and seatposts is fine and all (I did it) but removing the padding on your seat? That's the last thing I'd ever want to do.

My first bmx bike had a plastic seat and it was the worst thing ever. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

|

This message is brought to you by JonathanAllen.

[LINK TO IMAGE]
This is Red Panda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda

MOTW 5/17/2010 - 5/23/2010

1/10/2009 11:26 PM

drill holes every where u can under ur grips . get on a lathe and drill out all of the bolts

|

-if ur a bike chucker put it to good use and throw it at a skaters face. -

1/10/2009 11:27 PM

JOSH_ride wrote:

drill holes every where u can under ur grips . get on a lathe and drill out all of the bolts

hahah dont tell him tht.it makes ur bike weaker.

|

*buybuybuy*

1/10/2009 11:32 PM

take 13 spokes off of each wheel..take your valve caps off..run less air in your tires, drill holes all over your frame/bars/rims/cranks....ride without grips,take your seat off.

|

FI

1/10/2009 11:33 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

take 13 spokes off of each wheel..take your valve caps off..run less air in your tires, drill holes all over your frame/bars/rims/cranks....ride without grips,take your seat off.

what the fuck

|

1/10/2009 11:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 6:09 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

my hero

|

*buybuybuy*

1/10/2009 11:36 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

goride4 wrote:

my hero

GAY 8==D........ JK

|

1/10/2009 11:37 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

goride4 wrote:

my hero

bikes r cool wrote:

GAY 8==D........ JK

NO MOTHER FUCKING HOMO
|

*buybuybuy*

1/10/2009 11:38 PM

Thanks! Heard some good stuff guys, and some retarded stuff. And no I don't need to work out hahaha but thanks anyways!

|

1/11/2009 3:04 AM

and drill holes on ur top tube thats the new trend apparently i thimk it would make it way weaker. dont forget titanium parts pricey but light. go single wall on the front maby.

|

-if ur a bike chucker put it to good use and throw it at a skaters face. -

1/11/2009 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/11/2009 8:17 AM

Some of this depends on how much you weigh and how hard you ride. Find some 13 butted light bars. Get a lighter front wheel, that helps alot when you pull up. Lighter forks also, Odysseys are strong and light. Lighter stem. I basically just lightened up the front end of my bike with quality parts, I wouldnt skimp on the back wheel, plus there arent as many components on the back end as opposed to the front. Smaller gearing will result in a shorter chain, so when you take those links out ur saving weight on the chain.Lighter tires can make a big difference too, it helps lighten the rotational weight. There are plenty of pedals out there that are metal that are just as light as plastics. I wouldnt cut your steerer tube down, unless you KNOW that you're never gonna change stems or take out or add spacers. I cut mine down and got a different stem and now the tube sits lower down in the stem then i'd like and i have no spacers in. The only things i would cut shorter are bars if you want them shorter, steerer tube if it sits too high, and the seat post if its longer than you need it. Cutting axles shorter isnt going so save you enough to notice, and if you ever want to run pegs on the other side you'll be screwed cuz there wont be enough room.

|

If you wanna know about the TRUTH of the country and world we live in, watch these videos.
9/11 Press for Truth by Families of the Victims
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
The Obama Deception
EndGame - Blueprint for Global Enslavement

1/11/2009 8:19 AM

stop being a vag, making your bike lighter will not make you a better rider.
RIDING makes you a better rider.

|

boobs on a hot plate

1/11/2009 8:27 AM

dude just ride the damn bike. befor tight pants and overly light bikes were the thing people were doing basicly the same stuff people were doing now. real men ride heavy bikes

|

1/23/2009 11:52 PM

as weird as this sounds i dont like light bikes

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

1/24/2009 12:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 6:16 PM

yeah its about comfort. not fuckin weight but its k i just bought a light bike>>

|

Want more inches?, Stroke it!!

1/24/2009 7:57 AM

make a bike out of balsa wood and dowl rods
at most it will be 5-10 pounds

|

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

1/24/2009 8:05 AM

titanium parts will help, folding tires, plastic petals, and a pivitol seat

|

live to ride, ride to live

1/24/2009 8:11 AM

drill holes in your top and down tube, replace your seat and seatpost with a dildo, and cut off your entire seat tube

|

1/24/2009 8:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 6:16 PM

EisManX wrote:

Some of this depends on how much you weigh and how hard you ride. Find some 13 butted light bars. Get a lighter front wheel, that helps alot when you pull up. Lighter forks also, Odysseys are strong and light. Lighter stem. I basically just lightened up the front end of my bike with quality parts, I wouldnt skimp on the back wheel, plus there arent as many components on the back end as opposed to the front. Smaller gearing will result in a shorter chain, so when you take those links out ur saving weight on the chain.Lighter tires can make a big difference too, it helps lighten the rotational weight. There are plenty of pedals out there that are metal that are just as light as plastics. I wouldnt cut your steerer tube down, unless you KNOW that you're never gonna change stems or take out or add spacers. I cut mine down and got a different stem and now the tube sits lower down in the stem then i'd like and i have no spacers in. The only things i would cut shorter are bars if you want them shorter, steerer tube if it sits too high, and the seat post if its longer than you need it. Cutting axles shorter isnt going so save you enough to notice, and if you ever want to run pegs on the other side you'll be screwed cuz there wont be enough room.

Let me correct myself in sayin that cutting ANYTHING down on your bike wont be enough for you to feel a difference, bars, forks, seatpost, axles. But if you cut them ALL down, you MIGHT save 6-8 onces, which is only half a pound. You can save more than that by just taking your brake setup off, 10-12 ounces.
I was a weight weenie when i first started building my bike, ,but the more i rode, the less the bike weighed to me. Now everytime I upgrade another part, weight isnt even a consideration anymore. I went from Eastern Plastics back to my old Eastern alloys, that added half a pound. I broke my light stem and put on a real old heavy stem that came off an Eastern complete from back in the day. That added a half a pound too. I switched from light bars to S&M Slams, added about 6 ounces, still feels the same to me.
All those heavier parts made the bike heavier by about 1 1/2 pounds, but i ride so much that i get used to it very quickly. I think a decent bike can weigh anywhere from 25 to 30 pounds. Weight weenies these days are making them anywhere from 18-24 pounds, which i have nothing against. Whatever floats your boat. If it works for you, great!

I will say that i feel better knowing my bike will hold up 190 pounds with no problem and not have to worry if one, or all, of my light parts will fail me and get myself hurt.

|

If you wanna know about the TRUTH of the country and world we live in, watch these videos.
9/11 Press for Truth by Families of the Victims
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
The Obama Deception
EndGame - Blueprint for Global Enslavement

1/25/2009 7:52 AM

dont sacrifice strength ever, like BMX has all of these 100lbs scene kids who all they do is bitch about their shit being too heavy, dont be one of them. other than changing to a 25/9 gearing, work on yourself , not your bike

|

Lunchbox man

1/27/2009 4:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 6:19 PM

Theres no point in telling you how unimportant it is to have a ''light'' bike because
you just simply want to know how to make you'res lighter. So i'd stay away from heavy duty inner tubes and thick ass tires. If price isn't really a factor for you then go ahead and start changing bigger parts( like the forks, bars, and frame) Although you're bike will no longer be a Black Pearl 2 2008, will it?? lol
Its time to forget about weight and start focusing on riding.

have fun!

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/27/2009 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 6:19 PM

onetwothreefivex wrote:

dont sacrifice strength ever, like BMX has all of these 100lbs scene kids who all they do is bitch about their shit being too heavy, dont be one of them. other than changing to a 25/9 gearing, work on yourself , not your bike

Could not have said it better myself.

Riders these days grow more and more concerned about their bikes and aprearance and seem to throw some of that pressure onto other riders. People need to be a little less serious and have a little more FUN.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

1/27/2009 4:21 PM

nirvestreetrider wrote:

poop before you ride? it cant be that heavy. just ride it as it is. dont get all caught up on how heavy it is. i can ride my 27 pound bike, then hop on my 37 pound bike and do the same shit i can on the 27 pound one. its all in your head.

do you just have that whole speach like memorized cuz i see it everywhere, where people want to lighten bikes. lol im not "hating on you" i agree with that shit.

|

1/27/2009 4:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2009 4:32 PM

onetwothreefivex wrote:

(ignore me)

|