I squirted some oil onto my stem bolts bars moving?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/19/2020 6:25 AM

Is it possible for grease, wd40, oil to weaker bolt tightness and bar steadiness? I squirted some oil (just like this olive oil mixture I have) onto the stem bolts and bars after a session in the rain. Next day my bars moved forward whil doing hops, wth?

|

Control of my bars helps me feel in control of my life.

6/19/2020 6:45 AM

Probably some oil traveled down the bars into the stem where it clamps the bars. You probably need to open up the stem and clean the bars and stem contact surfaces really well. There definitely shouldn't be any oil in there.

|

6/19/2020 8:51 AM

Oil seem like a bad idea, clean that shit and use ketchup instead.

|

6/19/2020 9:11 AM

😂😂😂

|

It’s all bmx

6/19/2020 9:20 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

😂😂😂

This is the most appropriate reply to my post. What the f was I thinking

|

6/19/2020 9:28 AM

I've hear KY Jelly will do that....

|

Husky Nation Member

6/20/2020 2:25 AM

KevoW wrote:

Probably some oil traveled down the bars into the stem where it clamps the bars. You probably need to open up the stem and clean the bars and stem contact surfaces really well. There definitely shouldn't be any oil in there.

Thanks did what you suggested all good now

|

6/20/2020 6:17 AM

KevoW wrote:

Mad Mars wrote:

Thanks did what you suggested all good now

You can use automotive degreaser or even some dishwashing soap in a pinch to remove oil residue.

|

6/20/2020 2:19 PM

Haha. XD

Just to clarify, things like WD-40 aren’t lubricants, they’re degreasers. Use it to clean, then use proper grease after. But WD-40, IMO, shouldn’t be used on a bike regularly.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/21/2020 4:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2020 4:10 PM

Mad Mars wrote:

Is it possible for grease, wd40, oil to weaker bolt tightness and bar steadiness? I squirted some oil (just like this olive oil mixture I have) onto the stem bolts and bars after a session in the rain. Next day my bars moved forward whil doing hops, wth?

If you got grease in it, open it up and spray it all down with wd40. wd40 is a degreaser and will work a lot better than water or a dry rag, let it soak some and rub it off with a rag. Thats what I do for parts at least. If you have to, brush it, but I got some grease in a seat post last night, couldnt get the shit to stay still for anythug, so i opened it up and did the above, afterward I left it to dry in the 100+ degree sun, then wiped it down again and shoved that bitch back in. make sure you get ALL of it off first or else it'll just get trapped inside and may rust.

|

Speed, I am speed... -Lightning McQueen
Fuck money get bitches... I think?