I want to ride with brakes but...

Related:
Create New Tag

6/25/2013 8:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2013 8:47 PM

I mean I want to ride with brakes when I get my bike but, I just can't get over the feeling of brake rub, I know you guys will say, well just adjust it. Another thing is it wearing on the rim and making brake marks and making it look bad, I was wondering if clear break pads would solve that problem (my rims are anodized).

I'm a beginner and I know brakes will make me feel more confident in trying stuff, knowing I can bail if needed.

|

Why be the same when you can be different?
Official Vital Buddy: Chrisaustin

6/25/2013 8:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2013 8:54 PM

Clear brakes still affect the rim. But they rip off the color and don't leave scuff marks. They don't rub off the color as fast though. Chrome rim = no brake marks. Wear and tear happens. No bike stays pretty forever

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

6/25/2013 8:55 PM

I'm no brake expert, and I don't know your current situation, but I'll give you my opinion. I would suggest just going brakeless. I feel that being a brakeless rider has helped me so much! I no longer have to hear the annoying sound of my brake pads and I don't have my brake pads marking up my rims either! Plus I no longer hesitate as much at all! Overall I have become a better rider ever since I took my damned brakes off! I hope this helped! smile

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/25/2013 8:58 PM

Stocksy wrote:

I'm no brake expert, and I don't know your current situation, but I'll give you my opinion. I would suggest just going brakeless. I feel that being a brakeless rider has helped me so much! I no longer have to hear the annoying sound of my brake pads and I don't have my brake pads marking up my rims either! Plus I no longer hesitate as much at all! Overall I have become a better rider ever since I took my damned brakes off! I hope this helped! smile

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but I haven't been on a bike for 3 years.

|

6/25/2013 9:02 PM

tomdon wrote:

Clear brakes still affect the rim. But they rip off the color and don't leave scuff marks. They don't rub off the color as fast though. Chrome rim = no brake marks. Wear and tear happens. No bike stays pretty forever

This, and if you keep your rim/brake pads clean and not covered in dirt and shit, the paint will last longer as well since it won't be scraping in between the pad and the rim.

|

6/25/2013 9:05 PM

Stocksy wrote:

LDewey wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but I haven't been on a bike for 3 years.

Oh wow! Well then it's really up to you dude! You probably know more than me being that I've only been riding seriously for about 9 months! But, you can get as many opinions as you want, but in the end you will have to decide what's more comfortable and what you want to do.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock
Bike Check
YouTube
Edit
FaceBook (Still Wock)
Twitter (@WillStockSucks)
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/25/2013 9:09 PM

who cares, its functions not looks brahhh

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/25/2013 9:15 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

who cares, its functions not looks brahhh

This. The only reason I try to keep my parts looking decent is so kids will buy it if I want to sell it. I know I'm keeping my wheels so I don't give a shit if I scratch the paint.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/25/2013 11:00 PM

tomdon wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This, and if you keep your rim/brake pads clean and not covered in dirt and shit, the paint will last longer as well since it won't be scraping in between the pad and the rim.

This is very true, when I got a new Back Rim the Finish stayed on pretty much completely for about a week, then rode to an Indoor Park 3 Miles away in the pouring rain, with part of it through a dirt track, and the entire side of my rim was silver. I don't care though.

|

6/26/2013 6:47 AM

Ride a gyro and front brakes

|

fack off

6/26/2013 7:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2013 7:04 AM

Most people are going to suggest Chrome rims if you want to run brakes. I have suggested this in another thread on here. Chrome rims nowadays are no where near as good as they used to be years ago! Due to tightened laws on chrome the quality has slipped, they don't last as long & eventually begin to flake off. As you mentioned the brake wear on Black rims doesn't look too great, i know its purely aesthetics but i TOTALLY understand where you are coming from i personally want my bike to look amazing, pretty, beautiful even & huge brake wear is not beautiful haha. A few companies have begun to battle the Chrome issues with Polished Rims. I do not know if the braking power is comparable to chrome rims but you get the Chrome look without the flaking & eventual destruction of the rim & have to replace it. I personally do not run any brakes & it just feels right for me, i can flow around & transition between tricks & not have to worry about levers & cables getting tangled up in my way or around my head tube without running a gyro. Mr. Mexican has a sweet brake set up though, Fronts & Rears with a Gyro, if you want to run brakes take a look as his set up because its BOSS! I would run Brakeless & save up for a new wheelset myself. Odyssey Aerospace & Eclat Polar Rims come in Polished options, take a look at those. I mean Odyssey offer some of the best wheelsets on the market!

Odyssey Aerospace Rim - Antigram Front Hub - HGS Spokes & G-Sport Taper Hex Nipples
(You can run duel hub guards from Odyssey to protect your hub!)
Odyssey Aerospace Rim - Antigram Rear Hub - HGS Spokes & G-Sport Taper Hex Nipples
(Once again you can get a hub guard from Odyssey & If you want to run a DSG I suggest you look into Foundation)

That is one hell of a dialed wheelset & it will last you for all eternity haha. You can take that wheelset with you onto every bike you ever own & with the Polished rims you never have to worry about brake wear or flaking Chrome!

|

6/26/2013 8:55 AM

I just took my brakes off, I used black pads on my anodized rim and it was fine

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

6/26/2013 9:43 AM

People recommending a noob o go brakeless are dumb.

You need to build some bike control before you start with shit like that. Also learn how to maintain brakes it's a good hung to know

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

6/26/2013 9:52 AM

Gump wrote:

People recommending a noob o go brakeless are dumb.

You need to build some bike control before you start with shit like that. Also learn how to maintain brakes it's a good hung to know

It's been 3 years as I said, when I rode I rode a lot! I was able to throw down bar spins out of bowls. I just want to run brakes until I get my groove back.

|

6/26/2013 10:01 AM

Photo

About 6 months if braking using black or red pads. You should be fine.
|

| Temper Tantrum | Instagram | Tumblr | Xbox - Slow Miatas |