I want your opinions on which bike I should choose...

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2018 1:18 PM

Hey guys, I used to ride a lot of BMX and Motocross when I was a teenager. All of my friends had new BMX bikes and without putting much thought into it, my dad bought me a Fit TRL 3 in 2010 for my birthday. 8 years later and with countless hours on that bike, I'm looking for opinions on a new bike. Since I rode a Fit for so long, I figured I'd get another. My budget is around $400-450, and I don't really do too many tricks besides the basic 180, 360, t-boggin, simple beginner stuff, but I usually cruise around the city a lot and try to find fun lines to do around town. I'm 5'7, 180 lbs, 25 years old, so based on that information I've been trying to figure out what the best top tube size is, and which bike I should get. I don't really know a lot about parts to go completely custom and build from the ground up, so I've just been looking at complete bikes. I've only ridden cassette, too, so I'm not looking to switch to free-coaster since I don't do tricks like tailwhips.

Here's the bikes I'm looking at buying:

Although it's a bit over my budget, I'd be willing to spend the extra money if it's as good as it looks: Fit Augue $480 https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/augie/

Fit Dugan $400 https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/dugan/

Fit Hango $400 https://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2018/hango/

|

8/12/2018 1:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 1:29 PM

Out of what you picked, the Fit Augie... but for $480 you can get the 2018 Eastern Shovelhead which is way better than the Fit Augie.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/12/2018 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 3:11 PM

I.agree with Honda. But if you are stuck on fit, the Augie is the better bike. The Dugan is too small for you. Honestly, those fits are all about the same with different parts. The less expensive bikes have single wall rims as opposed to double wall. Even the Augie had a single wall front rim. The Eastern shovelhead has double wall front and rear, 48 splined heat treated Chromoly cranks and forged stem and brakes for 459 delivered.

|

8/12/2018 3:22 PM

https://fitbikeco.com/shop/clearance/2018-corriere-fc/

GET IT BEFORE THE SALE IS DONE!!!!!!!

|

8/12/2018 3:29 PM

I've been looking at other bike brands and came across the Kink Whip.. thoughts/opinions/suggestions on this one?

https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2019/whip

|

8/12/2018 4:08 PM

Ddavis wrote:

I've been looking at other bike brands and came across the Kink Whip.. thoughts/opinions/suggestions on this one?

...more

If you can swing it dude go fir the Eastern Shovelhead dude.... you won't regret it trust me...

|

8/12/2018 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 4:32 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Meh. It's a little cheaper than the shovelhead but it's also got a single wall front rim and 8-splined cranks as opposed to the shovels double wall (front and rear) and 48 splined cranks.

Specs-wise, the shovel is better than any of those fits and the kink.

|

8/12/2018 4:35 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Meh. It's a little cheaper than the shovelhead but it's also got a single wall front rim and 8-splined cranks as opposed to ...more

I was just posting it because I thought he wanted a Fit. I agree though.

|

8/12/2018 6:48 PM

Ddavis wrote:

...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If you can swing it dude go fir the Eastern Shovelhead dude.... you won't regret it trust me...

Agreed, the shovelhead is honestly a more critically acclaimed bike than even the eastern natural, which STILL HASNT COME OUT THIS YEAR YET.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/13/2018 11:00 AM

Ddavis wrote:

...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Agreed, the shovelhead is honestly a more critically acclaimed bike than even the eastern natural, which STILL HASNT COME OUT ...more

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that (the Eastern Natural not being available). It's possible that Eastern isn't doing that well... like a lot of other BMX companies right now.

|

8/13/2018 4:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 4:32 PM

At this point I've narrowed it down to these two bikes.

https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2019/whip/
http://wethepeoplebmx.de/arcade

Both are similar in price, and roughly the same quality.

If I need to upgrade parts, I can do that later down the road. At the moment I'm just trying to get two wheels underneath me, and not worrying about building a bike from the ground up.

|

8/13/2018 5:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 5:04 PM

Whip. Not even a question

|

8/13/2018 5:17 PM

Definitely the Kink Whip

|

8/13/2018 5:34 PM

Ddavis wrote:

At this point I've narrowed it down to these two bikes.

https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2019/whip/
...more

No, the whip is definitely better than the arcade. I’m serious, the arcade is a basic level bike, the whip is an AM level, go with that.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/14/2018 1:33 AM

I'll go with the whip. Plus, I'm in love with the look and color of the whip. Thanks guys

|

8/14/2018 5:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/14/2018 6:00 AM

Yep..... get the Kink Whip. If you get the WTP Arcade, you will be shunned. Seriously.

|

8/14/2018 7:26 AM

Just replace the parts you need to. You'll have a rad custom build in no time

|

8/14/2018 7:33 AM

Ddavis wrote:

I'll go with the whip. Plus, I'm in love with the look and color of the whip. Thanks guys

That color is fucking sweet!

|

8/20/2018 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2018 9:57 AM

Alright so I've been doing some more research since I haven't gotten the money yet to buy a bike. I've been reading the specs of the Eastern Shovelhead now that I've learned a bit more on what all the parts mean and what is important on a bike, and $460 is definitely a good deal for a bike with 100% Chromoly frame/bars/forks, practically everything sealed, 48-Splined Spindle cranks, double wall rims on both, but my only concern is the 20.85" top-tube for a short guy like myself (5'7). I've been looking at 20.5" top tubes, but 20.85" seems like it might be fine, right?

Sorry for being stubborn earlier about sticking to Fit, I just wanted to do my research and with your input I think I figured out what I want to do. Thanks!

|

8/20/2018 10:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2018 11:50 AM

It's really personal preference & each bike is different. For instance, back in the day, I rode a Mongoose Decade Pro with a 19.5" TT without issue & a Hutch Trickstar before that with a longer TT & I'm 6'. I've also known 6'+ tall people ride 20.5" TT, & up to 21.5" TT. A lot depends of seat tube angle as well in that steeper or more shallow angled ST will make the same size TT length feel lijke two completely different sized bikes. That said, I don't think the Shovelhead feels overly large for a 20.85 tt (I have a 2017 Shovel).

Keep in mind the difference between a 20.5" & a 20.85" is .350 or approx. 5 quarters stacked. If you are still worried about it, you could try finding a few examples to try at a LBS. Or look at used bikes... even if you have zero interest in them, you could ask to see them as if you want to buy them, just to try them (sort of a dick move but whatever... lol). If you have a park or local riding spot, you might be able to ask some locals to try their bikes "on for size". If you do that, I just wouldn't do anything crazy & crash. Even if they crash all the time, right in front of you, it's one thing for them to crash their bike & another, altogether, if you do it. So, stick simple bunny hops, etc... & just riding it.

Lastly, If you were a 12 year old looking for a bike, I'd be more concerned with the size difference in that a 12 year old isn't as muscularly developed & would probably have a harder time adapting to a slightly larger TT. You, being an adult, probably shouldn't have those same problems. Also, while changing parts doesn't change the frame size, a shorter stem, taller (or shorter) bars can help "fit" a bike to the user, so keep that in mind.

|

8/20/2018 11:42 AM

Ddavis wrote:

Alright so I've been doing some more research since I haven't gotten the money yet to buy a bike. I've been reading the specs ...more

Go test ride bikes. I've always rode 20.5'', tried a 21'' and hated it.

|

8/20/2018 3:31 PM

Final two questions. Is the Shovelhead made for trails/dirt jumps or street/park? Or all of the above? And it's a cassette, right?

|

8/20/2018 3:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2018 3:47 PM

It is a cassette but it's geo is more street

|

8/20/2018 3:56 PM

Ddavis wrote:

Final two questions. Is the Shovelhead made for trails/dirt jumps or street/park? Or all of the above? And it's a cassette, ...more

To be realistic, it’s just a BMX bike. As long as you like the geo there’s nobody stopping you from riding whatever the hecc you want.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/20/2018 4:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2018 7:52 AM

Ddavis wrote:

Final two questions. Is the Shovelhead made for trails/dirt jumps or street/park? Or all of the above? And it's a cassette, ...more

readybmxer wrote:

To be realistic, it’s just a BMX bike. As long as you like the geo there’s nobody stopping you from riding whatever the hecc ...more

This is very true. Back in the day, you rode what you rode. You didn't even think about what the geo was.

|

8/20/2018 6:07 PM

Agree 100% with the guys above. I ride my bike on anything and everything.

The Shovelhead geo would be suited good for street and park though...

|

8/21/2018 7:42 AM

You guys are going to hate me but I started looking at all of the specs of the bikes I was interested in. The big differences between the Kink Whip and the Shovelhead were the overall look, the 8 vs 48 spline, weight (Shovelhead is like a pound lighter), 410 chain vs 510, single front rim and double rear on the Kink, and double on both for the Shovelhead, and 20.5" (Kink) vs 20.85".

After reviewing everything, I don't get excited looking at the Shovelhead, meanwhile I love the Kink's overall look and vibe I get from it (something your friends will go "ooooo" when they see). The only time I had problems with 8 spline cranks were when I was trying to fakie all day, everyday.. Nowdays I doubt I'll be riding backwards so much, so 8 should be fine. The 1 lbs difference shouldn't be too noticeable for someone like me just getting back into it. I can buy a 510 chain if I ever have problems with the 410. I looked at the rim of my old bike that I put through hell and the rim is completely straight and it's single walled, so I shouldn't have a problem now since I won't be going quite as hard. Also the 20.5" should be better suited since I think my old bike was 20", but if it feels too small I can always try the 20.75" or 20.85" at a later time.

|

8/21/2018 8:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2018 8:07 AM

You can always upgrade your cranks, etc too. smile

|

8/21/2018 8:28 AM

You should definitely get a titanium laird frame with titanium fork , some eastern titanium bars , loaded up with some titaniumed out profile parts and khe foldable tires , that’s my opinion on this

|

8/21/2018 10:04 AM

Ddavis wrote:

You guys are going to hate me but I started looking at all of the specs of the bikes I was interested in. The big differences ...more

I know some people might hate me for this but in the end choosing the bike comes down to what "feels right". If the Kink floats your boat and the Shovelhead doesn't then that's what you buy. You know it's not as good as the Shovelhead but you clearly can live with that. However, if you choose a bike just based on specs and it gives you a "meh" feel everytime you think about going riding then you won't do shit with the better parts. Buy a bike that gets your ass out and riding and puts a smile on your face.

|