I'M BACK YO! What's gone down in 10 years?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/20/2019 9:07 PM

So I haven't been around the scene for TEN YEARS! 

Checking my last post on (the now very quiet) bmx-forum, I sold my beloved WeThePeople custom street/flatland build in December 2009. Well ten years have passed, a lot of road cycling, MTB and general life, until last week when I picked up a Verde BMX on Gumtree for cheap. Nothing fancy. So yes! I'm back, but my skills? No so much, haha!

Now aside from tyres getting super fat, what's been going on in the world of street BMX over the last decade?

|

10/20/2019 9:52 PM

I don't keep up with the street side that often, but way too much has happened, I'll let others who actually ride street fill ya in.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

10/20/2019 11:08 PM

Everyone has a freecoaster, and massive bars

|

10/20/2019 11:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2019 11:34 PM

VLOGS

|

10/21/2019 5:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2019 5:25 AM

Street chainstays are really short now.

There probably aren't as many changes this decade as there were between 1999-2009.

|

10/21/2019 6:11 AM

Does the term "scooter-bike" mean anything to you? Lol.

Some of these things may have been happening already by the time you stopped riding but in general; bars have gotten bigger, chain stays have gotten shorter, free coasters are much more ubiquitous, and as you mentioned fat tires are the norm now and steep head tubes (75 deg).

|

Licensed Desk Jockey

10/21/2019 8:27 AM

d-Herz wrote:

Some of these things may have been happening already by the time you stopped riding but in general; bars have gotten bigger, chain stays have gotten shorter, free coasters are much more ubiquitous, and as you mentioned fat tires are the norm now and steep head tubes (75 deg).

edit: 75.5°-75.75°

|

10/21/2019 4:36 PM

d-Herz wrote:

Damn scooters everywhere! What's with that? Haha!

I think I was the only one with a freecoaster around my scene back then. Bars were starting to get wider, now the bars on the bike I just bought seem way higher and wider than I remember. No idea about the frame geo, too busy riding to measure it! Seems alright, pops well.

|

10/21/2019 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2019 7:30 PM

tempocyclist wrote:

I think I was the only one with a freecoaster around my scene back then. Bars were starting to get wider, now the bars on the bike I just bought seem way higher and wider than I remember. No idea about the frame geo, too busy riding to measure it! Seems alright, pops well.

It seems that it’s a big numbers game now. Everyone cares a lot about their geometry for good reason, but sometimes I feel that people overthink things.

Like, saying nose manuals became easier when going from a 75 to a 75.2 degree headtube angle or how a 12.8” slammed rear makes spins easier than a 13” rear. Sometimes I think it’s all in riders’ heads, but I dunno. Just seems a little overly critical nowadays.

I mean, I went from a 20.5” toptube to a 19.69” and now it just feels normal.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

10/22/2019 3:49 AM

Very little gyro users out there, lots if brakeless users nowadays. And people are pushing 2.4+ inch tires now.

|

I like riding my bike.

10/22/2019 9:25 AM

el toro bangers on Instagram lol

|

Ride everything

10/22/2019 11:02 AM

tempocyclist wrote:

So I haven't been around the scene for TEN YEARS! 

Checking my last post on (the now very quiet) bmx-forum, I sold my beloved WeThePeople custom street/flatland build in December 2009. Well ten years have passed, a lot of road cycling, MTB and general life, until last week when I picked up a Verde BMX on Gumtree for cheap. Nothing fancy. So yes! I'm back, but my skills? No so much, haha!

Now aside from tyres getting super fat, what's been going on in the world of street BMX over the last decade?

To answer your post Title.....

"Your Mom!"

LOL. JK. Figured you were from the old school forum & would appreciate the trolling.

|

10/23/2019 2:09 PM

^^ Haha course! Also, glad to see wearing ya girlfriend's skinny jeans is no longer a thing!

I'm not gonna get bogged down in the techy details, then it becomes too much like road cycling with shaving 4 grams here or decreasing my drag coefficient by 0.003 there. I just like to kick around on the BMX and have fun!

|

10/23/2019 7:14 PM

readybmxer wrote:

It seems that it’s a big numbers game now. Everyone cares a lot about their geometry for good reason, but sometimes I feel that people overthink things.

Like, saying nose manuals became easier when going from a 75 to a 75.2 degree headtube angle or how a 12.8” slammed rear makes spins easier than a 13” rear. Sometimes I think it’s all in riders’ heads, but I dunno. Just seems a little overly critical nowadays.

You’d really like mountain biking

|

10/23/2019 7:36 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

You’d really like mountain biking

|

10/25/2019 7:11 AM

Where abouts in aus are you?

|

10/25/2019 9:29 AM

d-Herz wrote:

tempocyclist wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

Right!

http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/support/rideuktech/steering-geometry.html

There are valid points to looking into it, but at the end of the day, most kids are WAY overthinking it.

You could legit get two of the same tires, same size etc, and put them on the same wheel and inflate to the same PSI, and their inflated size could be noticeably different-which will factor in your HT angle (which is measured based on the ground), effecting your nose wheelie game.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/25/2019 10:28 AM

Short frames. lots of em. im talkin 19 inch top tubes and the standover is like 7 inches. the park rats like it, tho

|

10/26/2019 3:02 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Waaaaaaaay down south...

|

10/26/2019 4:25 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

tempocyclist wrote:

Waaaaaaaay down south...

Hobart or Launceston?