Idea...

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2009 3:16 PM

Say I have an idea for a product, what do I do to make it happen?
Its a whole new invention so I'd imagine I need to get a patent on it before I go around and try to sell it right? I don't want my stuff stolen, but I don't even know if it will work as good as I think or if anyone(companies) would even want to buy it. But I dont have the resources to produce a prototype. Ive already drawn it out and have the design perfect although it isnt scaled right but that could be easily be fixed by someone who knew what they were doing. So yeah how do I present my idea to people with out getting it taken and still make me money lol?

|

9/7/2009 3:21 PM

gonna have to get a prototype and a patent, then market it to an innovative company like eastern or odyssey that are likely to pick up a new idea. then if they decided to buy it they pay you for rights to your patent and can use it all they want. you would definatley want royalties for any other parts it spawns with a similar design as well.

good luck.

|

BMX riding Cop... Let that sink in for a minute.

9/7/2009 3:25 PM

ridebmxnc wrote:

gonna have to get a prototype and a patent, then market it to an innovative company like eastern or odyssey that are likely to pick up a new idea. then if they decided to buy it they pay you for rights to your patent and can use it all they want. you would definatley want royalties for any other parts it spawns with a similar design as well.

good luck.

can I get paid percentage on every one they sell? or do I get paid for the rights and then thats it.
What are royalties? lol sorry idk... but I want something like how the pivotal seat was made and now every company sells them but then pays the original creator(I can't remember who that was) for every seat they sell(if thats even how it works)

|

9/7/2009 3:46 PM

ridebmxnc wrote:

good luck.

motofreak2772 wrote:

can I get paid percentage on every one they sell? or do I get paid for the rights and then thats it.
What are royalties? lol sorry idk... but I want something like how the pivotal seat was made and now every company sells them but then pays the original creator(I can't remember who that was) for every seat they sell(if thats even how it works)

royalties as i understand them are like getting paid for something similar created. like all of the character stuff made from disney characters. disney gets paid by all the companies that make stuff featuring their character. make sense?

and i dont believe you can get paid for every single part they sell featuring your design, but you could ask for it when you write the contract with the company. more than likely if they did agree to it you would get a check cut once a year with a percentage of everything sold featuring your design.

|

9/7/2009 3:51 PM

where do I get a patent? and can I get it on just my idea not the actual product so that way I dont need a prototype?

|

9/7/2009 3:53 PM

motofreak2772 wrote:

where do I get a patent? and can I get it on just my idea not the actual product so that way I dont need a prototype?

the us patent office

http://www.uspto.gov/

you'd have more luck selling it with a prototype that's already been shown to work.

|

9/7/2009 3:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2016 9:45 PM

ridebmxnc wrote:

good luck.

yes great idea... i realize eastern isnt a bad company they dont suck blah blah blah..but. some people like me who 100% hate eastern (and ther are more than me i promise) wont buy the product feturing your idea so i would go with a bigger company that is more trust worthy and has been around for a while ex. s&m,odysy, fit, shadow, or any bigger company that hasnt had quite so many "problems" with ther product

|

ref(s): evenwest94

9/7/2009 4:04 PM

ridebmxnc wrote:

good luck.

kinkyfit7777 wrote:

yes great idea... i realize eastern isnt a bad company they dont suck blah blah blah..but. some people like me who 100% hate eastern (and ther are more than me i promise) wont buy the product feturing your idea so i would go with a bigger company that is more trust worthy and has been around for a while ex. s&m,odysy, fit, shadow, or any bigger company that hasnt had quite so many "problems" with ther product

If it works out I'll go with the company that pays the most obviously. But profile racing/madera is here in florida so maybe they might be my first atempt. But like I said I want rights on my product before I go around showing everyone my idea.

|

9/7/2009 4:05 PM

ya that makes sense can i aske what part of the bike its near?

|

ref(s): evenwest94

9/7/2009 4:05 PM

Naw, you should atleast try to make some sort of prototype. It doesn't have to work 100%
Me and My buddy who works with metal are still trying to ''reinvent'' the chain. lol
I won't explain how my idea works, but I have high hopes for it so far.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

9/7/2009 4:09 PM

I wish I could make a prototype but I dont have anything to make it with. I might try to make one just to show how the mechanics work but it wont be ridable. Its a hub "reinvention" lol but I wont say more than that. I already have a bitchin name for it(I could see it being used commonly) Hopefully you guys will be riding it one day.

|

9/7/2009 4:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2009 4:14 PM

Yeah, thats what i ment... make a none working prototype, So that you atleast have something concrete. Good luck with ur invention too!

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

9/7/2009 4:20 PM

lol i have an idea to reinvent the fork and stem market

|

9/7/2009 4:25 PM

hey. get a patent lawyer. your gonna neeed to make a prototype. if not your idea wont get close to as much money. all you gotta do it have a lawyer draw up the contract after you get patent and tell him what you want in it.

and the paid per everyne sold. i dont think it works in that way. i belive usally you get stocks for every say 100 sold.

|

9/7/2009 4:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2009 4:42 PM

Damn, I guess id be real parinoid on who I can trust if i was going about trying to get a patent. Life is fuckin sketchy.

|

9/7/2009 4:48 PM

BMXism wrote:

Damn, I guess id be real parinoid on who I can trust if i was going about trying to get a patent. Life is fuckin sketchy.

lol yeah dont talk about it to loadly at the patent office i know a few people who have had there ideas stolen there.

|

9/7/2009 5:46 PM

re-invent the hub? im sorry, but i doubt it. and it would take close to 2 years for your product to even be made, and probably 3-5 for it to be used by the public

|

My nigga Ressler, stay up!
My nigga Babysatan, stay up!
My nigga Copiolet, stay up!
My nigga DakAttack, stay up!
My nigga NCDave, stay up!
My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

9/7/2009 6:11 PM

JustRideBMX wrote:

re-invent the hub? im sorry, but i doubt it. and it would take close to 2 years for your product to even be made, and probably 3-5 for it to be used by the public

and your point? he's not gonna mass produce and sell it in 2 days ... inventing takes time

|

Boxman for President

9/7/2009 6:12 PM

JustRideBMX wrote:

I ride fit wrote:

and your point? he's not gonna mass produce and sell it in 2 days ... inventing takes time

i know but what im saying is. hes probably planning on automatic success

|

My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

9/7/2009 6:30 PM

kwbike.co wrote:

and what would that idea be cuz i had one too but im not gonna go anywhere with it cuz i have other ideas and my idea would really change everything and everyone would have to change their parts and i dont wanna be the burden of changing parts

|

-Let me tell you something about you that you don't know...
-I don't like Fit.
-BLRBMX thought I was 23. Silly kid.
-Facebook

9/7/2009 6:32 PM

and dude i wanna say go for it do what ever you can the dude that made those "life are good" t shirts is now millionaire and when he started the idea he was living in his car and made the first out of his trunk so anybody can do anything they want if you put your mind to it

|

-I don't like Fit.
-Facebook

9/7/2009 6:53 PM

kwbike.co wrote:

dirtbmx33 wrote:

and what would that idea be cuz i had one too but im not gonna go anywhere with it cuz i have other ideas and my idea would really change everything and everyone would have to change their parts and i dont wanna be the burden of changing parts

i might tell you guys after odyssey emails me back but it depends on their answer

|

9/7/2009 6:56 PM

kwbike.co wrote:

dirtbmx33 wrote:

kwbike.co wrote:

i might tell you guys after odyssey emails me back but it depends on their answer

haha ok its cool dude i understand your confidentiality

|

-I don't like Fit.
-Facebook

9/7/2009 6:58 PM

kwbike.co wrote:

dirtbmx33 wrote:

kwbike.co wrote:

is it to put a notch in the middle of the fork steer tube so that your stem will be perfectly aligned with your front wheel?

|

My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas

9/7/2009 6:59 PM

dirtbmx33 wrote:

kwbike.co wrote:

JustRideBMX wrote:

is it to put a notch in the middle of the fork steer tube so that your stem will be perfectly aligned with your front wheel?

haha i remember hearing all this when i posted my idea if anyone remembers

|

-I don't like Fit.
-Facebook

9/7/2009 7:00 PM

JustRideBMX wrote:

similar

|

9/7/2009 7:04 PM

kwbike.co wrote:

JustRideBMX wrote:

kwbike.co wrote:

similar

is it what i came up make the top of the steer tube square and the inside of the stem square? if it is you can say no i understand your confidentiality

|

-I don't like Fit.
-Facebook

9/7/2009 7:04 PM

I hope not, cuz either way its gona wobble. It should be splined like a profile crank on the spindle. If thats ur BIG idea... I think companies have already considered it. Its not good cuz you would need new forks and stem sad

|

9/7/2009 7:06 PM

BMXism wrote:

I hope not, cuz either way its gona wobble. It should be splined like a profile crank on the spindle. If thats ur BIG idea... I think companies have already considered it. Its not good cuz you would need new forks and stem sad

your wrong its wombolt style wedges in a fork and stem style thing

|

9/7/2009 7:06 PM

BMXism wrote:

exactlyy, and that shit aint cheep...

|

My nigga Enzo, stay up!

And I ride for my niggas