If you could own your own BMX company!

Related:
Create New Tag

6/23/2013 11:36 PM

If you could own your own BMX company, what would you want to make, what would set you apart from other companies, would you be innovative in any way?, what kind of riders would you sponsor? What would be the company's name?

Well i know my company may either be HardtBikeCo. or MaximusBikeCo. because i think thatd be sweet and not hard to memorize! Haha id wanna make a bunch of hardcore stuff! I would make enough stuff to make a whole bike without using any other companies stuff. I would be entirely original, no catalogue parts at all. The frames would be innovative. Same ideas as Sunday, make the frame last you a lifetime. Completely Rust proof, nice colors for sure, Id have 3 frames, 3 sets of bars to choose from, and lots of other parts. Our specialty would be a new type of street based tire. I would want it to be normal weight, but completely flat proof and would literally last forever, a tire that doesnt have its tread get worn much at all if any. It would be the hardest rubber and id get into that later. But i would sponsor all kinds of riders, id try to make sure they are not cookie cutter in any way. Id want some hardcore, high speed, fearless dudes, and a bunch of real tech creative riders that are setting apart from others! HardtBikeCo! haha (its pronounced like heart) haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/23/2013 11:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2013 11:45 PM

i've thought of this before and the most i could come up with is making a tv and web ad with daft punk's harder better faster stronger showing the production of my company's frames bars hubs etc and the testing they go through then go on skate 3 and making my dream park the name would be TheTribeBmx or something

|

Give props if deserved but know respect is earned.
-Anthony Flores
My Kinky Setup

6/23/2013 11:42 PM

PQ bike co.

Technical shit.
Sprockets
hubs
bbs
heaadsets
spokes
rims
stems
bolts

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

6/23/2013 11:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2013 11:54 PM

Pivotal seat with a new, stronger base, with a dropped nose, then extra padding on the nose so it looks normal (And so it doesn't hurt as bad if you land on your nose), and the back is like a Tree Fat seat, with less foam in the middle. Also with a wider base so there's more to sit on. And the pivotal base is moved up a bit to set the seat back a little and increase the strength of the nose.

Topload and frontload stems with eclat's rear clamping system, machined to fit flush with top caps, and split front plates. Plus some cutouts on the sides that aren't too excessive. Plus the bottom will fit flush with Zodiac dust covers.

6-piece bars, but shaped like a 4 piece bar. One bottom bar, two bend bars, one crossbar, and two investment cast pieces that are welded to the bend bars, and then the cross bar connects them. Might increase the strength. The bends are bigger than normal, and the crossbar is as high up as possible. The bottom bar is as small as possible so the bottom of the bend bars are at less of an angle.

Tire something like you came up with. Silkworm casing and a kevlar strip in the middle like Fly and Revenge tires. It will have a kevlar bead to drop the weight, but the rubber will be way thicker than normal to bring the weight back up to normal or heavier. Also a bit softer rubber for increased grip.

Frame with a longer headtube (5 inches) that has a smooth design. Bottom bracket shaped like the United Beacon's, but more extreme for more grind clearance. The top and downtubes meet at the headtube, and there is an Intrikat style gusset for more front trick clearance. All-around/trail style geometry with a low bottom bracket and high seat tube. Double butted, non-tapered top tube. Single butted, tapered down tube. Internally butted and tapered seat tube. Integrated seat clamp. Brakeless or welded seatstay mounts. Straight gauge tapered seat stays with large diameter curved bridge. Wishbone chainstay junction. Straight gauge, non-tapered chainstays. 6mm thick dropouts that fit entirely flush with a 34mm diameter peg. The axle slot sits lower than normal to decrease the risk of you hitting your bottom bracket or chainstays on grinds. And the dropout has more contact on the stays for increased strength (Like on the Native Street frame).

Then I have a new style freecoaster and braking stuff I'm too tired to go into.

Don't know who I'd sponsor or what the name would be, haha, haven't thought of that.

|

6/23/2013 11:48 PM

It would deffinatly have a little devil, bonedeth, fbm kinda vibe to it.........team who partys hard and goes huge.......huckers, dirt jumpers, couple vert guys, and maybe a couple street guys as long as they hauled ass at everything and werent slow ass barspin tailwhip kids.......lotsa roadtrips and put out full dvds to try to keep the bmx dvd alive

|

6/24/2013 12:07 AM

Oh i forgot about complete bikes. After my company made a good bit of a name id make 3 completes. All 3 would be good quality. They would be decent price too maybe around 400ish and fully sealed, full chromo, full quality. Everything would be made by my company and would be bomb proof. Some of the first completes ever to not be easily broken in any way is the goal really! and the only reason for them to be upgraded or fixed at all would be because you wanna change something to your personal preference!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/24/2013 12:41 AM

Flatland Frame
Streetland Frame
Tech Street Frame

Hydroformed, Offset Butted Tubing, Invest Cast Bits, NO removable Brake Mounts! All Brakeless with a few welded mount runs. Integrated Chain Tensioners through the center of the Drop Outs, Fancy Shit like that.

True Female Cassette/Coaster, 17mm Inner Axle, 14m Bolts, Slide on Hub Guards.

Flatland Bars, Streetland Bars, 4-Piece Street Bars

Fat Padded Pivotal Seat with Hand Holds for Flatland
Longer Seat Post with an Eclat Style Pivotal Bit.

Socket Drive Sprockets, Primo Style Square Spindle with Integrated Socket Drive Adaptor, CNC Machined Crank Arms

My own designed Pegs that i have already done drawings for & I'm hoping to get made at some point anyways.

I'm sure i will think of more stuff at some other point in time too.

|

6/24/2013 1:05 AM

FBM type thing.

Make stuff that wont break.

Original geo

No gay colours, only chrome, black and raw.

I'd make cranks, 24mm spindle, 48 spline, something like the tibia, except bigger.

Big sprockets, 30T+

I'd sponsor people I like, not because they can do more barspins than some other cunt.

Ride fast

Make DVDs

Go on trips.

Drink beer.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.
I got refs

6/24/2013 1:21 AM

Topsey wrote:

Flatland Frame
Streetland Frame
Tech Street Frame

Hydroformed, Offset Butted Tubing, Invest Cast Bits, NO removable Brake ...more

Signature pegs? Tell me more about those! what are they like?

|

6/24/2013 1:33 AM

not sure on the name.. but I'd fuck with chromoly to branch off from the traditional route of mostly aluminum. should name my company Don't be a weight pussy bike co, DBAWPBC haha jk.

I'd have 3 of most parts, 1 for tight budgets, 1 for the "team" line the whole team would ride & would be our better quality parts, and 1 for signature parts, maybe more signature parts down the road too. I won't list the signature parts cause obviously they'd be specific to whatever ride they belonged to.

Bars:
-Budget: standard 8x28, no butting or anything special
-Team: 8.5x 29 with notches in the ends for cutting, smaller gauge tubing where it's not needed but thicker where it needs to be, heat treated & life time warranty

Grips:
grips are grips haha. ODI Longneck style but slightly thicker ribs every quarter inch for more grip. Comes with Odyssey parends cause those are the best barends I've ever ridden and I don't wanna just steal their design so I'll have to pay some sort of royalty I guess.

Stem:
-Budget: Standard aluminum, 52mm reach, 6mm rise, solid bolts.
-Team-: Made from chromoly, slimmed down to save weight but retain strength, 52mm reach, 6mm rise, hollow face plate bolts, recessed compression cap area. heat treated & life time warranty

Headset:
just a plain old headset, spacers same color as the cap

Fork:
-Budget: straight gauged tubing all the way, no built in race, ugly standard freestyle compression bolt/star nut
-Team: tapered legs (thicker towards the top, skinnier towards the bottom), integrated race, H24 compression bolt with slim top to it. tightens with a 6mm or an 8mm. heat treated & life time warranty

Seat/Post:
-Budget: 1 piece combo, aluminum post with non-padded seat
-Team: Slim padded seat with standard short pivotal post

Seat clamp:
Chromoly & slimmed down to almost nothing

Bottom Bracket:
Just a regular bottom bracket, available in 19mm/22mm & Spanish/Mid

Cranks:
-Budget: 8 spline 175mm, 1 pinch bolt, solid 19mm spindle
-Team: 48 spline 165mm-180mm(increments of 5), hollow 22mm spindle with hollow chromoly bolts, wrap around bosses

Sprocket:
-Budget: 25t only, 19mm bore
-Team: 22t-30t, 15/16th bore with included 19mm/22mm adapters, made of chromoly but 4mm thick for excellent weight/strength, a few cutouts idk, 3 sprocket bolt locations. heat treated & life time warranty

Pedals:
just plastic, unsealed ones. fuck it.

Rims:
-Budget: 36h double walled, pinned rim. 6k series aluminum. nothing special, probably similar in shape to the Rhynolite rims
-Team: 36h double walled, welded rim. 7k series aluminum, cross laced, don't know about shape yet. low profile walls though

Front Hubs:
-Budget: 2 sealed bearings, male axle, aluminum shell, nothing at all fancy.
-Team: 2 6902 sealed bearings, threaded 14 female axle with 3/8 chromoly bolts, aluminum shell & chromoly hardware.

Rear Hubs:
-Budget: Joytech style, 14mm, male axle. 2 6902 bearings in the hub, 9t driver with wraparound spring design & 3 pawls with 6802 driver bearings
-Team: 4 6902 sealed bearings in the hub, male axle broached for a 6mm,with chromoly hardware, 1 nut on the non-drive side, aluminum shell with smaller flange on the non-drive side, 9t driver with 6802 bearing & needle bearing assembly. 3 pawl, leaf spring design. Basically a revised primo mix, with remix style shell kinda.

both will be available in complete Budget/Team wheels.

Hub Guards:
Full chromoly heat treated & life time warranty, threads on & replaces hardware. Big enough to cover a little bit more over the flanges too

I think that's it. It'll make most everything except for tires, brake shit, spokes, chains, nipples, & frames. that way the riders have a frame sponsor open to them. As for what riders I'd sponsor, ones that I like being around and not just in it for the parts & to say they're sponsored. I'm tired as fuck now that I typed all that out so I'm out.

|

6/24/2013 2:07 AM

I wouldn't own a BMX company because there's already so many legit companies that already exist and see no point in competing.

|

6/24/2013 3:04 AM

If I could make one thing, It'd be forks. I have broken every pair of forks I've owned. Tapered/straight gauge. H24 compression, 25-32mm offset (for various preferences) thick investment cast dropouts with absolute grind clearance. Basically kink forks with thick ass tubing.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

6/24/2013 4:37 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Signature pegs? Tell me more about those! what are they like?

I don't want to say a huge amount about them right now. They are designed for Flatland & there are a couple of neat features that i am pretty sure haven't been done before. I have been trawling the internet trying to find any sort of peg with a similar design nothing yet!

|

6/24/2013 5:01 AM

I would provide the highest quality 22" rims and tires. I would also have bars, sprockets, tripod seats and posts. Down the road I would add a 22" frame and some grips.

|

6/24/2013 5:58 AM

My company name would be/ is Blood Life, reason for the name my last name is Blood, I would only sponsor over looked riders that don't get the credit they deserve, definitely would have to start off as a clothing brand before any hard parts could be made, right now I have a face book page started up again, I originally started blood life a few years ago but didn't go through with anything I plan on making some kick ass Tshirts late this summer after I get the blood life edit together, I'm gonna put a link to my page in the sig so go hit that like button (=

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

6/24/2013 7:27 AM

I like what Fondue said about 22" products.

I would start with a few products. An aftermarket frame, and maybe two completes. No Hi tensile stuff, just chromo. My frames would have investment cast dropouts like my current frame, 6-7 mm thick, welded to the cs/ss a little way away from the dropout. Maybe wishbone type for wider tire clearance. Nice heavy gussets at the ht junctions welded after the tt/dt were completely welded, like Sunday does. None of this trendy offset headtube crap, just straight guage everything, thicker walls where it matters, like cs so they aren't as easily dented. Post weld heat treated and shot peened is a must. Maybe bring back the plate type gussets like the old school mongoose and Roger Decoster frames have, with company logo laser cut into it. There would be multiple brake options, but on each frame, without the looks of the threaded holes like frames have today. Maybe go back to the older style brakes to eliminate 990 mounts all together. Redesign them with a beefier pivot so they hold up better, more leverage for increased stopping power. No more 990 studs though, that's for sure. Bring back some old school type options, like Skyway Tuff cassettes.

For the top of the line complete, it would have Gsport wheels, and I would try and get them to start machining some 48h hubs and rims again, since they are running scarce everywhere. If I didn't go with their wheel components, they would be made similar. Heavy duty everything.

For frames, there would be a few tt length options, not at every increment on the scale though. That seems overkill. Also, we wouldn't charge an extra $300 for a custom build, just have an adjustable jig for custom fab stuff, with a few hard points so it would be right. Color options would be vast. We would just mix our colors on the spot. Frames would be corrosion treated inside and out, like Redline Device and Sunday frames. Stems would be something different. Like a skull front plate or something.

Testing would be done like Odyssey did with forks. Buy competitors frames, put them in a jig, and test them against ours. That video alone sold 50,000 units for them I'm sure, and it would prove our stuff is no joke. Stuff will break, there's no way around that. But there are new kids getting into BMX every day. There's no point in engineering failure into every part to ensure more parts are bought. Reputation and a solid warranty should bring more buisiness on their own.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

6/24/2013 11:26 AM

Thanks Chuck.

S&M is the 22" king in my book followed by Faction, but there still should be some options on rims and tires. I figure my brand will top out any where from 10-15 products to maintain quality and service. I got all my roll out phases figured out in a general sense.

Phase One: bars, seat, post
Phase Two: 22" rims and tires
Phase Three: 22" frame, sprocket, grips
Phase Four: introduce new color options
Phase Five: other parts and frames

Products:
2-3 different 22" frames
22" rims
all terrain and slick 22" tires
2 different bars
2 grips
sprocket
mid size tripod seat
tripod seatpost
topload stem

|

6/24/2013 3:32 PM

I would make shoes since I'm tired of seeing fucking vans clones everywhere.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/24/2013 5:56 PM

Id make Young Bmx Co we would make good am and pro complete bikes and have young shredders on our team it would be mostly street riders though.

unbreakable frames with no standard headsets, breakable bars but not easily breakable, and indestructible cranks (this is a must.).

the team would be made up of alot of street riders but they would do crankflips instead of barspins.

i would have a signature bike called the law and it would be sparkly blue and red

|

making half retarded post at the moment

6/24/2013 6:23 PM

@Chuck is there like a link to the video? I would like to watch it

|

Summer rustles my jimmies (:

6/24/2013 8:33 PM

ToEndTheRapture wrote:

Here it is.
|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

6/24/2013 8:42 PM

ToEndTheRapture wrote:

they did the same with the cranks too here

|

6/24/2013 8:49 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

they did the same with the cranks too here

Damn straight!

|

6/24/2013 9:59 PM

FEEL BMX. And my friend and I have a diabolical plan. I work at a machine shop as a shop hand, but I'm learning to machine too. Eventually, I'd like to hire the people that know their shit there to make some parts, hubguards, sprockets, stems, stuff like that. then, once I have some capitol from that, get some frames and bars going there too, since they have a TIG welder and are all certified. And, MAYBE, if I learn enough and can get my certifications, get the shop to hire me to make the stuff I hire them to make for me. Brilliant.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

6/25/2013 1:07 AM

it would be called

sketchy bike co.

i do not know what i would make, probably start off with parts and branch from there

do like some really strong shit, locally type stuff, and probs a little bit of ti like RNC type shit

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/25/2013 12:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2013 12:15 PM

don't know about the name but we would just make frames forks and cranks

frames would mostly be trails geo. strong as fuck (weight weenies beware were talking about more then 4 pounds shocked )
would also have street and flatland geo frames available, they would be designed to be the last frames youll even need and of course 100% warranty

forks would be available in all off sets for all styles of riding and have thick dropouts and again strong as fuck and 100% warranty on them

cranks available in all sizes beefy to take abuse and also 100% warranty

custom parts would be available for alittle extra cost, you could basically design your own shit and we would try to make it if we cant make it we will send you a cake of your choice

we would just be about having fun and riding none of that big business shit parts made for the rider

and of course all the parts made locally and always American made

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

6/25/2013 1:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/25/2013 1:12 PM

I know what my Frame, Fork & Bars will/would be called. Although i pretty much have to commit to just Flatland now because of my shoulder my signature frame would be a TRUE streetland frame there are a few Flat companies that say their 3.8lbs Flatland frames are street ready PFFFFT!! B.S!!

My Streetland frame would be AT LEAST 4.5lbs It would have a Straight Gauge Down Tube & Chain Stays (Which are ovalized) Butted Top Tube. I had toyed with the idea of offset butted tubing so it is thicker where its welded so it doesn't need gussets but i was thinking a frame that WILL be used for street too with no gussets is taking a bit of a chance that i don't think i'm willing to take. Gusset wise i am having to re-think what i want.

Forks, They will have an Integrated bearing race, be offered with & without brake mounts. The legs with be pressed so they are flattened slightly which makes it easier for hand clearance. They will also feature Invest cast drop outs so the legs will flatten out then meet up with the drop out a bit like the Eclat Stream Fork actually. However this is where they get Funky! They will have Horizontal drop outs like a Frame!

Bars, Now i have reeeally toyed with the idea of what i want. 4 Piece, 2 Piece even 6 piece. When i say 6 piece don't think of a funky flatland bars they will have a little tiny pieces of tubing to make them narrower at the stem tube.But i think i will more than likely go with 4 piece. Upsweep wise anything from 3 to 5 i haven't decided yet & Backsweep will be more than your oaverage flatland bar but less than your average street bars. something like 8 or 9 sweep.

I'm sure i have a few other bits in the works like my signature pegs but i am having trouble finding someone to make them for me. I don't really want to share my design & then have it stolen without any credit given to me. Its a sweet design & i know it will work just have to find a company i trust & get them to make them for me!

|

6/25/2013 9:49 PM

Topsey wrote:

I know what my Frame, Fork & Bars will/would be called. Although i pretty much have to commit to just Flatland now because ...more

Why dont you get with a few companies and pitch a few ideas? You seem to be in the loop pretty well and i think a lot of this stuff a lot of people would benefit from!

|

6/26/2013 4:10 AM

I am currently talking with a couple of companies. I'm hoping to order some new parts from one for the new bike & i know the owner fairly well so i will have a little back n forth with him & see what he thinks! smile

|

6/26/2013 11:43 AM

Topsey wrote:

I am currently talking with a couple of companies. I'm hoping to order some new parts from one for the new bike & i know ...more

Thats sick man! Let us all know what goes down! Itd be cool to rep one of our vital friends parts! haha

|