Illegal riding

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2013 7:17 PM

So apparently it is illegal me ride at my skate park, I got harassed by the cops and threatened yo have my bike impounded. So I started a petition!

|

9/26/2013 7:27 PM

Talk to whoever owns the skate park and see if they can work something out to allow bikes in.. Unless it's shitty material, the park ramps/boxes/whatever else should do okay with bike riding too.

|

9/26/2013 7:27 PM

yes! start a petition! but illegal to ride in a park? it's bullshit. i get kicked outta lots of street spots. it's serious bullshit. i'm just riding my fucking bike, is there a fucking problem?? fuck authority,

|

This week's Sweet Shoutout goes to: biggybuggy!

9/26/2013 7:59 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Talk to whoever owns the skate park and see if they can work something out to allow bikes in.. Unless it's shitty material, the park ramps/boxes/whatever else should do okay with bike riding too.

The city owns it, they say that my pedals will gouge the concrete, making it "unsafe" for skaters. I ride no pegs, plastic bar ends, and pc pedals. WTF?

|

9/26/2013 8:03 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

The city owns it, they say that my pedals will gouge the concrete, making it "unsafe" for skaters. I ride no pegs, plastic bar ends, and pc pedals. WTF?

Do they have coping on the quarter pipes? If no, then they're correct. Pegs would destroy the concrete overtime. BUT, skateboard trucks will do the same. Just talk to the city and make them aware that pegs can possibly cause the damage yes, but if you work with them, then you'll agree to just take your pegs off or something. Better pegless park riding than no park riding.

If they do have metal coping on the quarters though then what the fuck, it's not gonna hurt it

|

9/26/2013 8:04 PM

too bad it is not CA, any park that was built via public funds that were not by choice (city/state taxation, not donation basis)... it is illegal to bar users of any type [read: BMX]

check your state laws. Knowledge IS power

|

United0Cult0

9/26/2013 8:16 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Do they have coping on the quarter pipes? If no, then they're correct. Pegs would destroy the concrete overtime. BUT, skateboard trucks will do the same. Just talk to the city and make them aware that pegs can possibly cause the damage yes, but if you work with them, then you'll agree to just take your pegs off or something. Better pegless park riding than no park riding.

If they do have metal coping on the quarters though then what the fuck, it's not gonna hurt it

Yep, in fact, the coping is heat treated steel coated in tungsten (tungsten is the strongest metal in the world, the only thing stronger than it is diamond)

|

9/26/2013 8:23 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Yep, in fact, the coping is heat treated steel coated in tungsten (tungsten is the strongest metal in the world, the only thing stronger than it is diamond)

Then bring that up. Hold a meeting of some kind, gather people & get signatures, whatever it takes, and explain to them what coping is, what pegs do, and why it won't harm it. If the skaters can grind it with their trucks, then it can be grinded with pegs and hold up

|

9/26/2013 8:25 PM

Ok, thanks.

|

9/26/2013 10:28 PM

Good for you man. They are going to be building a bad ass PUBLIC park by the university here soon and on the park FAQ web page, it states that bikes won't be allowed. It makes my blood boil. Just about every town around me has parks, but it's rare that bikes are allowed, and there's some damn good parks. We get the same shit as skaters for riding street and add insult to injury, we aren't even allowed to ride a quarter of the so-called public parks. Such BS but I feel a big part of the problem stems from 3 reasons:

1. We are such a minority, that we are forgotten about
2. We aren't included in the planning phase because we don't unite like the skaters do and go to the city/town hall meetings
3. Our under-representation leads to ignorant and false thoughts about the supposed damage we'd cause to these parks

I'm currently trying to get in contact with the officials in charge of the park so I can get involved with representing the BMX riders around here, but can't go at it alone. If anyone here knows of any organizations who lobby for these types of issues, it'd be greatly appreciated so I can go in there with some backing. Thanks and good luck biggy!

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/26/2013 10:48 PM

Madtown608 wrote:

Good for you man. They are going to be building a bad ass PUBLIC park by the university here soon and on the park FAQ web page, it states that bikes won't be allowed. It makes my blood boil. Just about every town around me has parks, but it's rare that bikes are allowed, and there's some damn good parks. We get the same shit as skaters for riding street and add insult to injury, we aren't even allowed to ride a quarter of the so-called public parks. Such BS but I feel a big part of the problem stems from 3 reasons:

1. We are such a minority, that we are forgotten about
2. We aren't included in the planning phase because we don't unite like the skaters do and go to the city/town hall meetings
3. Our under-representation leads to ignorant and false thoughts about the supposed damage we'd cause to these parks

I'm currently trying to get in contact with the officials in charge of the park so I can get involved with representing the BMX riders around here, but can't go at it alone. If anyone here knows of any organizations who lobby for these types of issues, it'd be greatly appreciated so I can go in there with some backing. Thanks and good luck biggy!

Thanks man, some kids say to just ride it, but I cant be getting arrested.

|

9/26/2013 11:26 PM

You don't need that mess, especially if you're trying to get BMX allowed there. It'd hurt your credibility.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/26/2013 11:36 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Thanks man, some kids say to just ride it, but I cant be getting arrested.

Do not do this. It will make you look bad, especially if parents are nearby and see you getting yelled at/arrested by police. It'll make them think you're just a hoodlum up to no good or something.

What you CAN do is stand just off the property, and hand out flyers or something explaining why bmx should be allowed in the park and how they can help. Just hand them out to anyone who walks by and if someone asks you to leave, don't. As long as you're not on anybody's property, you're not trespassing and not breaking any laws.

|

9/27/2013 4:52 AM

tremelo wrote:

too bad it is not CA, any park that was built via public funds that were not by choice (city/state taxation, not donation basis)... it is illegal to bar users of any type [read: BMX]

^this. Definitely read up on the laws and cite them specifically. It might take some time, but it'll definitely be worth it.

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/27/2013 5:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2013 5:38 AM

tremelo wrote:

bmxfromma wrote:

^this. Definitely read up on the laws and cite them specifically. It might take some time, but it'll definitely be worth it.

Exactly. If the park was built using public funds and they ban bmx, it's a civil rights issue. They are essentially discriminating against you JUST because you ride a bike.

While you're at it, talk to the SPA USA to see if they can help/advise you.

|

9/27/2013 7:05 AM

Would it make any difference that the people of my town came together and had a fundraiser to build the park? The city owns it but didn't pay for it.

|

9/27/2013 8:05 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Would it make any difference that the people of my town came together and had a fundraiser to build the park? The city owns it but didn't pay for it.

Well if the citizens funded the park then they can make the rules too!

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

9/27/2013 8:10 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

Is the park free for the skaters to use. If it is, I don't see how a fundraiser would matter.

|

9/27/2013 10:12 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

this was built on purely donation $$$s? Make sure that is the case.The contrast is taxation, that means the people in your area didn't have a choice... they had to give money to build it. If your parents, or your's, was forcefully taxed & used for this park? It is a solid legal premise to start with.

If it was built from donations, see who the managing organization was that handled the monies/accounting. Look at their scope & mission statement that was used to get the donations. Try & work with them to help you lobby the city. Go to a city council meeting if the managing organization handed it off to them. Take a well written write-up about your intentions & why.

Briefly explain, the very good point raised here, about skateboard trucks versus pegs in relation to coping. Don't forget to include the positive aspect of athleticism compared to obesity. Close with a soft pedal about discrimination & your interest to find a lawyer that would look into this pro bono.

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 10:16 AM

oh yeah. Props help old people (aka, city council members) visualize what you're talking about. Take in a skateboard truck & a plastic peg (hehe). Show them each application with a small piece of coping. Don't drop the lawyer card unless it is going very poorly

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 11:18 AM

tremelo wrote:

bmxfromma wrote:

For future reference, nobody listen to these people. In CA bikes are banned mostly because insurance doesn't cover bike collisions. (Check places like the santa cruz fun spot for example, which is a bike only park because the city negotiated a deal to be able to waive liability)

If you think about it this way, tax dollars are spent on public playgrounds which means yes we have access to them, yet if you get caught grinding a ledge you might get arrested for destruction of property. Youre supposed to use public space the way it was intended to be used, and unfortunately skateparks means using skateboards. I'm not supportive of this but do people seriously have a problem with not being able to ride parks? Even at my home park in berkeley, the city hires skaters to stay there all day long and kick people out, but if you just be cool with them and don't get in the way they really don't care. And if they do say something, worst they can do is call the cops and you leave

|

9/27/2013 11:34 AM

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

For future reference, nobody listen to these people. In CA bikes are banned mostly because insurance doesn't cover bike collisions. (Check places like the santa cruz fun spot for example, which is a bike only park because the city negotiated a deal to be able to waive liability)

If you think about it this way, tax dollars are spent on public playgrounds which means yes we have access to them, yet if you get caught grinding a ledge you might get arrested for destruction of property. Youre supposed to use public space the way it was intended to be used, and unfortunately skateparks means using skateboards. I'm not supportive of this but do people seriously have a problem with not being able to ride parks? Even at my home park in berkeley, the city hires skaters to stay there all day long and kick people out, but if you just be cool with them and don't get in the way they really don't care. And if they do say something, worst they can do is call the cops and you leave

discrimination was used to leverage bike only sessions in Palm Desert. Hmmm

|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 11:35 AM

tremelo wrote:

bmxfromma wrote:

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

I guess that means no jogging on the side "walk" then. Oh, and no hopscotch either. Jump rope? Nope! Only walking because sidewalks are for walking only.

|

9/27/2013 11:37 AM

Oh, almost forgot. You softball players....get off the BASEBALL diamond.

|

9/27/2013 11:47 AM

RAD Riders Against Discrimination

^Facebook. This group has mostly worked in the deserts of SoCal. It would be a great place to get tips from if city council doesn't seem cooperative
|

United0Cult0

9/27/2013 11:53 AM

i got tired of not having places to ride near by and getting harassed at parks so I'm just riding flatland lol

once you go flat, you never go back

|

fack off

9/27/2013 1:08 PM

tremelo wrote:

bmxfromma wrote:

FEDEXdoobie wrote:

california passed a law that said that the state was not liable for any injuries... hence why there are so many skateparks..

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/27/2013 2:18 PM

My local park here says no bikes allowed but it's full of bikes all day... So I can't give you my expertise.. Im a lucky bastard

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

9/27/2013 2:57 PM

It was all donation money and the plastic peg thing sounds good.

|

9/27/2013 3:20 PM

Haha fuck dat. I just snake everyone on a scooter if bikes aren't allowed in the park.

|