Im SOOO Confused(180's)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/6/2016 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2016 3:54 PM

I need help desperately about my 180's flat.
.i can 360/180 up a quater pipe to the right(left foot forward btw) just fine
.only 180 up a bank to right
.CANT 180 FLAT (LEFT OR TO THE RIGHT)
.my 180's are better Left than right flat !!!! That doesnt make sense right?
.im so confused on what i should do to get them flat.

I just need tips to get my front end up high enough to get the bike around before it lands on the ground.(i can bunny hop very high btw) i just dont like the feel of them flat.
Please help, thanks.

|

7/6/2016 3:57 PM

Don't do them flat if you don't like them?

If you can hop "very high" then it is clearly an issue with rotation. Post a video with what you can do and we can more easily give you tips.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/6/2016 4:14 PM

I cannot upload a video it says error, but i can tell you that my rotation is like a g-turn looking kind of way flat. So my front end barely gets off the ground but my whole back end does. (In the video my head doesnt turn all the way and my upper body doesnt rotate either) that may be the problem but idrk)

|

7/6/2016 8:56 PM

Jacob_Bowen wrote:

I cannot upload a video it says error, but i can tell you that my rotation is like a g-turn looking kind of way flat. So my ...more

Put the video on YouTube as unlisted and post a link here.

You're probably just "fuck-footed" like me. Right foot forward but 180s to the right have always been easier anywhere except quarters. You don't have to spin a certain way because of your footing, just go with whatever's more comfortable. If anything, being "fuck-footed" will help you for learning to 180 both ways.

I'd recommend you try to learn them both ways on a bank rather than out of it. It'll make learning them both ways on flat easier, should fix any rotation problems and you won't be relying on something to give you pop.

From start to finish:
Avoid carving: You shouldn't have to carve for a 180 and it'll usually make it harder to fakie from 180s(especially down drops as you'll probably over-rotate).
Pull up the front: This is where you get pop, the beginning of the bunnyhop.
Start turning your head and your shoulders: You could turn your head the full way around but if your shoulders don't follow you're going to find it pretty hard to spin.
Tuck up the back end and finish the rotation.

This should all be done in one fluid motion, if you try to do each part separately you'll probably land on your ass.

Good luck smile

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/6/2016 10:45 PM

I went into BMX not knowing my natural turning direction, so now quarter airs and flat 180's feel perfect whether left or right. 360's feel slightly better turning right for me, though, so I like to say I do ride my "natural" way better.

Like p1 said, turn the way that feels natural. Just because logic tells you otherwise, your body may not.

I'm left foot front, by the way. I guess I just wanted to learn the trick no matter what and just did it while not keeping my directions consistent when I was learning them, which explains why it took me nearly a year to learn flat 180's. Now I have a good understanding of learning tricks my way, and I'm sure you will find your own techniques here and there, too. These things also come in handy in games of B.I.K.E. as to when opposite tricks are called, they're no problem, haha!

Good luck, you got it!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/7/2016 12:06 PM

so you DO NOT carve? Everything I have seen, and everyone I know says you have to carve first. I started learning with out carving b/c I thought it was "cheating". Am planning on going to the park tonight for the first time in 2 weeks (vacation) so it will technically be like starting over for me. 180's (and fakies) are my goal for the end of summer...

For 180's off the quarter pipe...do you carve there too? I feel like that would cause you to F-up the jump by not hitting it straight...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/7/2016 3:35 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Put the video on YouTube as unlisted and post a link here.

You're probably just "fuck-footed" like me. Right foot forward but ...more

Thanks for the help from both of you. My 180s flat are getting there but i just need a little more height and rotation. Your tips really helped and i really do think i am fuck footed btw lol. I just have to deal with it i guess thankssmile

|

7/8/2016 1:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2016 5:21 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

so you DO NOT carve? Everything I have seen, and everyone I know says you have to carve first. I started learning with out ...more

I was told to by a lot of people to carve as well but trying to carve in always just caused me to end up in a really low turning fakie if I tried it slow. If I tried it fast I'd get no pop and quite often get bucked off. I just got tired of trying to carve in one day, tried a straight hop 180 and landed it. Next day I was doing 180s both ways.

Easiest way to learn 180s is on a bank, easiest way to learn to fakie is to push away from a wall or something solid and fakie down a very slight decline. A pivot is the easiest way out of a fakie and it's probably the easiest way to start towards half-cabs.

Flyout 180s, you can carve a little but there should be no need.
Airing a quarter(at least in my experience), is nothing like a 180. If you try to air the way you'd 180 on flat or on a bank, you'll likely get no air at all or you'll case hard.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/15/2016 8:27 AM

Sup, yo I started riding in October this year.

I finally managed to land a flat 180 a month ago, best advice I could give you is to hop in circles without any speed, like a clock until you land the 180s constantly, then you do 10 in a row, then you try to send it with moderate speed, do 10 more without speed and then just keep increasing the speed. After a couple tries you should figure out that turning your head as you do it greatly improves the rotation...

Don't focus on getting your front wheel high enough, focus on turning your whole body with the bike.

Hope this helps !

Please excuse the english, not my main language!

|