I'm building my first bike, and I have a spoke question.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2016 9:32 PM

I'm currently trying to figure out spoke length.
I found a spoke calculator on a website and it's tell me:

Hub: Primo Remix Cassette
Rim: Animal RS
Drive: Side:182mm; Non-Drive Side: 184mm

I looked on Animal's website and the shortest they sell is 184mm spokes. Can the drive side be the same 184mm spoke or will the have problems fitting the spoke?
By the way I plan on doing 36 hole 3 cross spoke pattern, it seems to be what everyone else does.

The same spoke calculator also said that my Primo N4FL V2's will need a 186mm spoke when using a Animal RS rim. Is this correct?

|

7/26/2016 10:32 PM

184's will be fine, it just means each spoke will be a touch too long, so it might stick out the top of the nipple slightly. They're double wall rims so it won't cause punctures.
And yeah, the n4fl's are flangeless so the spokes will need to be a little longer. Although you'll probably get away with 184 on that too

|

7/26/2016 11:51 PM

Message Empire for the best details on spoke lengths. I've found them calculators to be off.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/15/2016 7:31 AM

I need help lacing my N4FL it seems like 186mm spokes are too short to do the third cross(over, over, under). Am I able to just go over the first spoke and into the second hole?
Photo

|

8/15/2016 10:33 AM

The pattern looks off to me

|

8/16/2016 1:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2016 1:10 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

The pattern looks off to me

Yeah, I'm having difficulty with the outer spokes, I'm scared I might snap or bend them when I follow some tutorial I found online. Also when I have the inner spokes in place I cannot turn them counter clockwise at all, is there a fix for this? Am I tightening the spokes too much ?

|

8/16/2016 1:40 AM

You might be, you only need to turn it on a couple of mm, enough to hold the spoke in place until it's laced, then tension the spokes. If you've got a built up wheel, look at that to compare the lacing pattern

|

8/16/2016 9:36 AM

I have given up on my N4FL right now because my 184mm spokes came in. I'm following a kids tutorial I downloaded off of YT (just moved no internet) to lace my rear rim. I've only done the first side and would like to know how badly I messed up the third cross. It looks like the kids in the tutorial but I second guess myself, and would like to know what I could be doing wrong from people who know what they are doing.
Photo

|

8/16/2016 10:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2016 10:25 AM

So I finished the rim but some spokes are a little sideways, could I tighten my spokes as far as they go just to try and even everything out and then loosen my spokes evenly? It seems easier than tightening them evenly

|

8/16/2016 10:30 AM

Sheldon. wrote:

So I finished the rim but some spokes are a little sideways, could I tighten my spokes as far as they go just to try and even ...more

Photo

|

8/16/2016 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2016 11:39 AM

Don't do that man. You might end up stripping nipples or damaging the rim.

Personally I count the turns from when I catch the first thread on each nipple. I go around and around the rim turning each nipple 4 turns to start. Then 2 turns each time. When they start to feel not so loose. Then I go around giving each one a single turn.

When I squeeze the pairs of spokes and start to feel that some are close o the tension I want I will go around squeezing them all and tighten the looser ones so they are even with the tighter ones. There's always a few that end up feeling a little looser than others even if you count the turns. Then I will look at how true it is and make a few tweaks. Then half or quarter turns all the way around until they're at the tension that feels right.

That's my way... when it goes well. Don't know if it's the right way.

|

8/16/2016 2:02 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

I have given up on my N4FL right now because my 184mm spokes came in. I'm following a kids tutorial I downloaded off of YT ...more

From this picture it looks like you've turned the nipples on quite far, they only need to be on enough to stop the spokes coming out of the rim at this stage, so it will feel like you're really struggling to lace the last 9. I could be wrong. But you want an even tension through all the spokes. Don't just start tightening some as you'll end up with with it being out vertically (egged).
There's a couple of different orders you can build wheels. The way I do it is all inbound (starting with drive side) then twist the hub backwards and do the outbound.
Or there's the other way of lacing the drive side, then the non drive side but that confuses the hell out of me

|

8/18/2016 8:46 AM

The N4FL really is demoralizing. You finally get all your spokes in place, it turns counterclockwise, you flip it over while still holding on, start putting in the spokes on the other side and then a nipple comes loose and ruins everything. I went to a bike shop here and the guy wanted $50 just to lace the rim.
End my life.

|