I'm gonna be that guy

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2015 6:57 AM

I got some savings bonds that were Christmas gifts a bunch of years ago, and I am on the fence on getting a chrome fork with brake mounts, a pair of brakes, or a coaster.

I have functional (yet kinda crappy) brakes, but I would probably get Demolition Vulcans or some other cheaper ones in Red and a pair of Red Ano levers (found online somewhere).

An Odyssey F25 in Chrome.

OR a coaster (Ideally Red Shell, don't really care brand-wise).

That being said, I know a lot of you would say Coaster all the way, and to "ditch the brakes". Thoughts?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/22/2015 7:00 AM

Brakes. Coasters don't really freshen up riding as much as brakes.

|

5/22/2015 7:04 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

I have some, I just want red ones that work better tongue

But my fork has 11 MM offset, and with a 75.5 HT angle that makes for a squirelly front end tongue

GAH! I want all but do not have the cashish for it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/22/2015 8:04 AM

My opinion wouldn't really be that helpful here, because I am a brakeless rider, and have a brakeless frame. Therefore, I would get the coaster. But if I was in your position, definitely the brakes.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

5/22/2015 9:04 AM

Front brakes AND freecoaster

|

It’s all bmx

5/22/2015 9:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2015 9:28 AM

Cheap coaster sprayed red and used brakes

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

5/22/2015 9:28 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

But my fork has 11 MM offset, and with a 75.5 HT angle that makes for a squirelly front end tongue

Well, I'd go for the brakes, then sell something or work overtime for the coaster later. Unless you can fine a nice ano red coaster now, seeming as that it's impossible to find one. Does demolition do theirs in red?

|

5/22/2015 9:54 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

Well, I'd go for the brakes, then sell something or work overtime for the coaster later. Unless you can fine a nice ano red coaster now, seeming as that it's impossible to find one. Does demolition do theirs in red?

They don't.

Kink seems to be the only one out there with one. I suppose I could get any really and take them to a shop that could ano it red for me...

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/22/2015 9:55 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Cheap coaster sprayed red and used brakes

I'm not spray bombing my setup. Just no.

And I have brakes currently, I want some that have less flex. Mine are around 8 years old and flex pretty badly.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/22/2015 10:13 AM

Buy some used brakes on here and then get the coaster new. I guarantee if you post something on the For Sale section, someone will have brakes they will sell cheaper than regular. You could get like nice ass brakes for 30$ and then get the new coaster on Dans or whatever!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

5/22/2015 11:16 AM

I threw my back out again, so it is gonna be heal, lose weight and get back to strength before I ride, so this is going to be on the backburner a while. Thanks guys!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/22/2015 11:28 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Front brakes AND freecoaster

Fuck Yeah !
So much things to do with brakes and coaster.

|

5/22/2015 1:33 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I threw my back out again, so it is gonna be heal, lose weight and get back to strength before I ride, so this is going to be on the backburner a while. Thanks guys!

Get yourself some pain medication and go riding.

|

WTP Atlas 24"
Specialized P3
SE OM Flyer 26"
SE Big Ripper 29"
DK Pro Elite XXL 20"
Powerlite P61 XL 20"

5/22/2015 3:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2015 3:21 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Troy Carter wrote:

I'm going to guess you think it means just a bit sore, and that advil and a few hours and it's fine. SO wrong.

It's not just a soreness. It is a severe sharp pain shooting down my leg, and my legs give out. Walking is a challenge. Right now I can barely sit up without leaning on one of my elbows.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/22/2015 9:09 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Troy Carter wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I'm going to guess you think it means just a bit sore, and that advil and a few hours and it's fine. SO wrong.

It's not just a soreness. It is a severe sharp pain shooting down my leg, and my legs give out. Walking is a challenge. Right now I can barely sit up without leaning on one of my elbows.

Have you tried back rollers before? Use it before and after riding, along with stretches and stuff. And if you want to heal faster, go vegan and whatnot like JJ Palmere. My dad tried it, it works.

|

5/23/2015 7:32 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Troy Carter wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

No, I was just giving you a hard time because I know very well how you feel. I have a bad back myself and it's just no fun at all. I'm regularly on medication to either relieve the pain or hold it off so that I can go out and do something.

For a long time I tried to deal with the pain in more "natural" ways but the reality is that medicating the pain is far better for me. If I don't then when pain spikes I lock up and generally fall which makes things worse. But, while medicated the pain spikes are minimized to the point that I can ride through them pretty well. At this point, I pre-medicate to ensure that I don't suddenly have an issue while i'm doing something physical.

|

WTP Atlas 24"
Specialized P3
SE OM Flyer 26"
SE Big Ripper 29"
DK Pro Elite XXL 20"
Powerlite P61 XL 20"

5/23/2015 5:49 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Troy Carter wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

That shooting pain sounds a lot like sciatica or you pinched your sciatic nerve. The rest I'm not so sure about. I have/had my fair share of back issues

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

5/24/2015 6:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2015 6:59 PM

ive always loved riding with brakes, my shoes too. with brakes you can do so much more and much more efficient . i love them old school flows foot plants, tire taps mad fun mix a little trials style into it and boom solid as for healing lol mad protein bunch of chicken eat lean and prohormones (banned last year but can still get em mild steroid)

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton