I'm looking for a beginner bmx bike, I need help

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2017 9:26 PM

So I've been looking around the forums and it seems like the "hi-ten" bikes aren't that good. Does anyone know a good bmx bike that I can get for under $200 that is chromoly? I'm a complete beginner btw so I don't know much

|

9/11/2017 10:36 PM

Used is your best bet for that price range, problem with used though is people either truly dont know what parts they have or they take stickers on or off and lie about what parts they have.

For instance placing a sunday sticker on a frame does not make it so.

If you go the used route, dont be afraid to ask questions and if anything seems shady, it probably is.

If you are looking for a complete the L100 mongoose seems decent.

From what I researched the dropouts are made from hi-tensil steel not chromoly. But for the price, it is one of the better options imo. Dont worry about the association with walmart bikes. Just take the stickers off and paint the frame if you are concerned about others making fun.

Best of luck!

|

9/11/2017 11:24 PM

Under $200.00 and full ChroMoly, I'd go with the Mongoose Mode 900. It's pretty much exactly that.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/12/2017 5:21 AM

Ditto on the Mongoose. Best bet for a complete other than used. But if you don't know what you are looking at... that could be a problem. Lastly, everyone bags on Hi-Tens steel. It's isn't that it's bad. It's that it isn't as strong or as light. but for your needs as a "complete beginner", I think it'd serve you well. If you decided to choose that route, be sure to buy a reputable brand (I suppose that's a good advice, no matter what you buy). There are a ton of junk bikes out there so feel free to ask here before you buy.

|

9/12/2017 9:13 AM

Yeah, the Mode 900 is the best bet in your price range if you can find it.

The rub on hi-ten is that it is not super strong for jumps and tricks where you will be getting big air or doing large drops. You could learn on hi ten...manuals, beginner bunny hops, carving bowls etc, but you will (possibly) advance quicker than the bike will allow, and have to replace it with a better bike in the end. Or you might not decide you like BMX either.

If you do decide to stick with it, you could do many things with the cheap bike: give it to a younger person in your area who is where you are now when you get better; use it to learn how to do your own bike maintenance (that way when you mess something up, it isn't on a "gem" bike; turn it into "Art"' sell it for cheap to get a new part down the line....

jut think about where you want to go with it, and how to 'invest" the money...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/12/2017 10:34 AM

Id say youre better off with replacing high stress parts like the forks and such over time on a used or new complete bike. You will most likely bend the forks by learning bunny hops and flyouts. It happens pretty quickly too. Save any parts that are still rideable and once you have accumulated enough parts and are ready for a new frame...build a "good" bike with all your aftermaket parts and new frame and use all your old parts that have life left in them to build a bike for sale or beater/loaner bike.

That way you can make small investments over a period of time and not have 2 large purchases. And if you stick with it, you will still end up with 2 bikes.

|

9/12/2017 11:14 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Id say youre better off with replacing high stress parts like the forks and such over time on a used or new complete bike. You will most likely bend the forks by learning bunny hops and flyouts. It happens pretty quickly too. Save any parts that are still rideable and once you have accumulated enough parts and are ready for a new frame...build a "good" bike with all your aftermaket parts and new frame and use all your old parts that have life left in them to build a bike for sale or beater/loaner bike.

That way you can make small investments over a period of time and not have 2 large purchases. And if you stick with it, you will still end up with 2 bikes.

I think the Mode 900 will hold up just fine for a good long while. It's parts match many others in the industry and it's a good deal.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/26/2019 2:25 PM

I'd either go with a mongoose mode 900, a mongoose l100, or a mafiabikes madmain

|

4/26/2019 2:44 PM

Ringo_Scarlett wrote:

I'd either go with a mongoose mode 900, a mongoose l100, or a mafiabikes madmain

Tard...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/26/2019 3:07 PM

Ringo_Scarlett wrote:

The mafiabikes madmain is full hi-ten. Which for that price is not worth it imo. The mongoose is way better

|

4/26/2019 4:13 PM

2017 was awhile ago gentleman, that’s all.

|

4/29/2019 1:10 PM

Mongoose Legion l-100! Check Amazon, I picked up two for 199.00 each, one for my 9 year old, one for me as a back up bike. Full chrome frame, forks, cranks, bars, double wall rims. The parts aren’t the best, but every bike I’ve ever owned I replaced the cheap parts anyways.

|

4/30/2019 4:36 AM

SaltySailor69 wrote:

Mongoose Legion l-100! Check Amazon, I picked up two for 199.00 each, one for my 9 year old, one for me as a back up bike. Full chrome frame, forks, cranks, bars, double wall rims. The parts aren’t the best, but every bike I’ve ever owned I replaced the cheap parts anyways.

Pssst.... Be sure to check the post dates of particular posts. This one is from 2017 & I'm pretty sure the OP got an answer or made a decision. Also, the post above yours states similar. We try not to bump old threads unless they are applicable to keep updated.

|