In case you never saw it (Nigel Sylvester)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/13/2010 9:11 PM

Now this may be old to some (and if it is, then cool), but I bet many other's haven’t seen it before. I was watching Nigel's video again (Feature) when I was reminded of an article about him in "Inked Magazine" that was published a little while ago. I am a tattoo enthusiast and I know there are a few members that share the same passion. I thought I would take the time to post it seeing as there has been alot of Nigel videos running with the contest and all and seeing as how he's influenced so many of you with his amazing style. Enjoy:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Credit: Ben Leuner (photographer), Casey Lynch (writer)

Ask pro BMX freestyle rider Nigel Sylvester which hurts more-getting a chest piece shaded or taking a header into the ground after missing a toothpick grind-and he'll say neither: It's all about mind over matter. "Riding bikes is physical-you're gonna fall down and get hurt," says Sylvester. "Same with tattoos. Yeah, some of 'em hurt, but I think if you brainwash yourself to think it doesn't hurt, then it doesn't." Judging by his success, Sylvester has mastered the power of positive thinking. Sponsored by Nike 6.0 and riding for Mirraco (legendary BMX champion Dave Mirra's outfit), the 21-year-old Queens, NY, native just celebrated the premiere of his latest Nike 6.0 movie, Writing on the Walls, which saw him tearing up streets across Europe, Australia, and Dubai. But his real passion lately is Format, a BMX and fashion boutique he launched earlier this year.

"It was always an idea to have a store when I was kid, like a BMX clubhouse with a homeboy-type vibe where you can hang out, watch videos, and get clothes," he says. "It's all about the kids that come in and say they started riding because of the store or an event we put on." Sylvester wasn't too different from those kids when he started seriously riding at 14, and it wasn't long after that he got the itch for ink at 16. "When I was growing up I loved drawing. I took art classes, and I would always doodle in class. I always wanted to get [a tattoo] but I knew if I went home and asked or something, it wouldn't fly. One day in high school when I was 16, I saw my friend had one and I just decided I was going to get a tattoo that day."

Nowadays, Sylvester almost exclusively gets his work done by Derrick "D'TatStar," the owner of One Stroke Tattoos in Rosedale, NY. "He's one of the best artists around," Sylvester brags. Of the athlete's nine-plus tattoos, most are script, including the aforementioned chest piece that reads "I am what I am." Says Sylvester, "It reminds me of myself and what I need to do so I can stay on my path."

http://www.inkedmag.com/inked-people/nigel-sylvester/

|

Atlanta Made, ATL Paid
[LINK TO IMAGE]

7/13/2010 9:14 PM

+1 for nigel

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

7/13/2010 9:15 PM

carjakester wrote:

+1 for nigel

+2 for nigel

|

7/13/2010 9:18 PM

Sick. My dad would kill me if I even got a piercing. He says all that stuffs ugly and pointless.

|

7/13/2010 9:20 PM

im gonna get a tattoo when i turn 18
the winged profile p with my dads or grandmothers inititals my dads are ecp, my grandmothers tcp so that would work out well
and then a ladybug for my mom somewhere
they would both be small and relatively out of sight

|

ferthebirdz wrote: my pegs are called cranks..

7/13/2010 9:30 PM

his face looks like it was burned.

|

REFS:

Traded: meowmoo68, kevinl, martinnn1004, RideTemec

Sold to: RyanMC (x2), Dennis916, Dave805, sunday.bmx21, brendon1207, kevinl

Bought: Brock Larson

email: scwright99@hotmail.com

7/13/2010 9:33 PM

I'm into looking clean but some people with tattoos look sick.

If I am ever gonna get a tattoo it's gonna be my last name in some sick script on my left shoulder blade and maybe a couple cool looking graphics(undecided on wat yet) around it.

|

MY NAME IS NOLAN, NOT JIM
MOTW 06/28/10 - 07/04/10
Refs: spikez5, dallybiker45

7/13/2010 9:35 PM

scwright99 wrote:

his face looks like it was burned.

thats called thug face. only with thug face does real shit happen.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?