Info on Sunday 2015 AM plus galaxy

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2016 7:55 AM

I'm a 33 year old former rider who has been out of the game for 15 years or so. Recently my 8 year old son has taken up riding and now I'm wanting to get a bike so I can ride the park and streets with him. I've found a really good deal on a 2015 Sunday AM plus galaxy and I'm wanting to pull the trigger on it but the weight and the fact that the bike is not full chromoly are holding me back. It weighs almost 27 lbs and that seems pretty heavy compared to other bikes in the same price point. Since I know I'll only be riding a couple days a week at best I really don't want to drop more than $400 on a complete bike and it seems there are plenty of deals on 2015 bikes still out there to where I can pick up a $500-600 bike for $300-400. Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

|

2/26/2016 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2016 9:48 AM

Craigslist can be a good option depending on where you're located. You're kind of in the same boat as me, I'm 33 and got back riding about a year ago. I ride mostly Street, pretty basic stuff though grinds, ledges, small gaps, 180s, nothing crazy and my Subrosa frame holds up just fine. It's a chromoly TT, DT and wishbone. Plenty of folks will chime in and disagree but full chromoly isn't a necessity for most riders (that being said I'm picking up a full chromoly frame this weekend but it's a good deal and I wanted something with a longer TT). There's kids tearing shit up on full hi tensile steel bikes that hold up just fine. These days it's all Geo, picking a frame based on your height and type of riding. Long story short find a good deal on a used bike and make adjustments along the way as you get back into it. That's my advice anyway.

|

2/26/2016 10:05 AM

Good advice. Unfortunately there aren't any good used bikes on the local craigslist. That was the first place I went looking. There are so many different manufacturers and models these days. When I was younger there were just a few good companies out there making quality bikes.

|

2/26/2016 11:27 AM

Also what do you think about the cult gateway or fit prospect? They seem like decent bikes for the price.

|

2/26/2016 12:13 PM

ccraver82 wrote:

Good advice. Unfortunately there aren't any good used bikes on the local craigslist. That was the first place I went looking. ...more

Yeah, the market is saturated with brands now. It gets overwhelming trying to make a choice sometimes. I still like the old guys that have been in the game a long time. GT has some good completes and so does Haro and Mongoose. Shit, I think Mongoose has a full chromoly complete for around $300??? With a complete you get a good foundation to get started. You also could buy a used frame and piece it together. If you go complete just pick the one that gives you the most bang for your buck as in components and chromoly, sealed bearings etc...

|