Injuries that haunt you

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2021 9:14 AM

For me, I can’t seem to stop jamming my thumb and hurting my ankles. Every time they start feeling good again I manage to hurt myself again and start recovery from the beginning.

|

smile

6/12/2021 9:20 AM

I've had Profile-ankle on and off for the last 20 years....even after trying different brands of cranks.

|

6/12/2021 10:14 AM

Back in 2009 my stripper ex stepped on my lower back in her heels because she thought I was cheating. Since then, at least twice a year I herniate my lower disc. It's usually either hopping to grind high shit or ice picks. This year though it was because my wife used tea tree oil in the shower & I slipped in it. I'm currently on the start of week 2 of the shit.

Also I have tennis elbow on both elbows & arthritis in both wrists. BMX had a hand in it but I also play video games, DJ, & do computer work so that also plays a huge part.

And if we count mental health injuries, Hurricane Katrina fucked be up so my anxiety is crazy off the charts so I can't ride around and look for spots. I usually only ride shit I build around my house or have to be driven to a spot.

I'm fucked up. Lol

|

6/12/2021 11:54 AM

In 2005 I was riding blackout in the lead vehicle of a mounted patrol outside of Ramadi...did not see a contact closure IED on the side of the road. A 60mm mortar round went off right under my feet. Fortunately the blast was shielded mostly by the armor on the underside of the vehicle. I only got minor injuries but my right ankle completely rolled when the vehicle lifted and then slammed back on the ground.

When I ride now, it feels like I can roll an ankle at the drop of a hat. Linear tricks feel ok, but spinning now is pretty high risk for me.

|

6/12/2021 12:03 PM

vagabond wrote:

In 2005 I was riding blackout in the lead vehicle of a mounted patrol outside of Ramadi...did not see a contact closure IED on ...more

Props for fighting for your country ! That had to have been scary , my buddy from high school drove over a roadside IED and the Vehicle behind him got blown up and a reporter was killed , there’s some fucked up shit happening in the Middle East and allot of ptsd because of it

|

6/12/2021 12:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2021 12:25 PM

vagabond wrote:

In 2005 I was riding blackout in the lead vehicle of a mounted patrol outside of Ramadi...did not see a contact closure IED on ...more

eskimojay wrote:

Props for fighting for your country ! That had to have been scary , my buddy from high school drove over a roadside IED and ...more

I was ok, but my gunner pretty much broke his face on the gun shield during the blast. It’s never really that scary when it’s happening...only after when you look back and realize how close you came to death.

Edit: hope your buddy is doing ok. It’s pretty easy to spiral. The biggest thing that has helped me was coming to the realization that I was not alone.

|

6/12/2021 1:12 PM

Waiting for the ballsack guy to post in this thread

|

6/12/2021 1:32 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

I've had Profile-ankle on and off for the last 20 years....even after trying different brands of cranks.

Shadow makes an ankle guard that you don't even notice when riding. Couple years back I randomly started slicing my ankle open on certain tricks that never sliced them open before, and those guards put an end to it asap.

I'd say for me it's probably my lower back issues. Every now & then it flares up, and rarely it'll really hurt and require more attention than just stretching & resting (like right now, unfortunately) shit fucking sucks. And obviously my ACL injuries. Cleared to ride again back in March 2020 but still feeling the effects due to the muscles around the kneecap not being even basically. Still working on it but the last couple times I rode, it barely bothered me at all... Now if only my back would follow suit.

|

6/12/2021 3:20 PM

From riding? Not too much knock on wood, my shins are still a bit rough from pedal bites with metal pedals back in the day

My knee and lower back are currently jacked up but that was from basketball however it has ruined my confidence or willingness to do certain gaps or drops for the meantime

|

6/12/2021 6:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2021 9:36 PM

Some of these stories make me hurt cause I have three sons......jeez, so much to go through. I feel for your fellas.

As far as riding goes, I would say "displacing" my tailbone (as the doctor said and xray showed it bent at a 90deg angle) by missing a grind and scissoring a rail. That was pretty painful, which happened about 8yrs ago and still bothers me when I sit on a hard chair. The other would be my left knee that has had the ACL replaced twice now with a cadaver (thanks goes to whomever they are from). Especially the 2nd rupture as I pulled a stupid move and started riding again way too soon against doctor's orders. I had to step off of a 5ft ledge on a goofed smith grind and twisted my ankle, which then tweaked my weak knee and BOOM...popped the ACL again.. Such pain....for hours. It sucked so bad the pain meds they gave me didn't even help. From what my doctor told me, since I didn't do what I was supposed to do and let it heal up properly, the tissue and vessels were busy grafting in the new replacement and weren't "done" doing their thing. Jeez it killled. Still bothers me to this day. BUT, every ride was worth it and is still worth it. I wouldn't change a thing. I know exactly what you fellas know. We all love BMX and that's why we are doing it. Carry on....Hman

|

6/12/2021 8:39 PM

When I was around 14, I was riding at a school. I was cruising around and bunny hopped off a curb at the corner of the building. I couldn't see around the corner, while I was in the air I was blasted by a van. The bumper of the van hit my knee. My bars went into the grill and radiator. I remember lying on the ground in pain looking up at my bike still stuck to the front of the van. The ER said only bruising. Since then I've had 3 surgeries ACL, MCL, and cartilage removed. Pretty sure it a started with the fucking van fight I lost. Still not perfect but I have more titanium parts than my bike. Lol

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

6/12/2021 10:08 PM

I've smashed my knees riding BMX so much it hurts to bend them for too long, I'm currently off the bike because of a back injury I got riding that kept flaring up and now has stayed for at least two months, this mixed with my motorcycle not having a proper seat and having a shitty broken futon for a bed have turned me into an old man, but lately it feels a lot more flexible that it has been and hopefully I can ride soon.

Interesting to note that before covid I used to pedal to work everyday and practiced Hinduism, thus did Yoga quite often and ate healthy, after I lost my job I started drinking more than I should and eating a lot in-between waiting for Injuries to heal. I'm only 22 and it took one year of poor decisions to reach this point where it feels like my body hates me. Take care of yourself young(er) ones. . .one snapped chain-knee cap slam can affect your life forever.

|

6/12/2021 10:15 PM

I have a fear of taking chunks out of my thumb on brake levers, it happened far too often back in the day. Now, if I put brake on, I can't do anything, and it comes straight back off again.

I always seem to smash my ankles up just after they've healed too. There's nothing fun about having your socks stuck to you after a day of riding.

My knees have good and bad days, ligament and cartilage damage in both. Can't do turndowns or tables properly anymore because of em.

Other than that I've been pretty lucky. I'm a lot more scared of migraine triggers than falling off my bike

|

6/13/2021 12:59 AM

I have this untreated ACL injury for almost 8 years now. Still ride with it but it usually give me anxieties specially when i want to try big and new tricks.

|

6/13/2021 6:40 AM

Fucked up right shoulder from a stupid xup ride. Can't sleep on it in certain ways or it dislocates. The twice-broken jaw or my leg with a plate and screws is fine though.

|

6/13/2021 9:20 AM

My wrist forsure. But it effects me more physically than mentally I think.

Broke my scaphoid 4 times and then finally got it pinned together. Got infected and that caused my wrist to rot away from the inside out. Then I had full fusion of the joint done and got back to riding after 2 years.

About a year back, apparently I hyper extended my thumb and broke a chunk off of my thumb knuckle on that hand.. and it took the main ligament with it. All because my wrist wasn’t there to take the impact.
And apparently I’ve smashed that chunk of bone to dust every other time I’ve taken a gnarly impact since then.

So now I’m getting into phase 2 of ripping the thumb off the human body. Pretty much any time I push my limits, it feels weak, broken, and it throbs for a couple weeks at a time.

And truthfully I fear that my days on the bike are coming to an end if I can’t figure out some type of glove or something to ride it. My thumb is just so loose and so weak that it can’t hang anymore.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

6/13/2021 11:21 AM

three major back surgeries. I will never pedal a bike again and if I can it sure as fuck won't be a bmx bike.

i have broken both my big toes more than once so when I kneel down that injury comes back to haunt me , from time to time.

tore my shoulder apart so sometimes randomly my shoulder hurts for no damn reason.

both my knees are fucked.

broke three bones in my foot and that randomly decides to hurt like a fucker, from time to time..

Arthritis in both my hands from squeezing the shit out of my grips for 35+ years. Some days it is hard to hold an empty coffee cup.

|

6/13/2021 5:42 PM

This.
|

6/13/2021 5:53 PM

420530666 wrote:

This.

Damn! That was you?

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

6/13/2021 6:00 PM

420530666 wrote:

This.
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Damn! That was you?

Yup, the longstanding joke is that I fell because I wasn't drinking lol.

|

6/13/2021 6:10 PM

420530666 wrote:

This.
Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Damn! That was you?

420530666 wrote:

Wow man.. Awesome you got it on film.. Just wicked though, almost as bad or equal to Begin's El Toro.... Congrats, you win!

|

6/13/2021 6:23 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Damn! That was you?

420530666 wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Wow man.. Awesome you got it on film.. Just wicked though, almost as bad or equal to Begin's El Toro.... Congrats, you win!

Chris Bracamonte came out with the Colony team camera to film it and I just had to send it.

|

6/14/2021 4:38 AM

younggotti wrote:

From riding? Not too much knock on wood, my shins are still a bit rough from pedal bites with metal pedals back in the day

...more

Careful with basketball...don't want to end up a dunk champ like Tom Segura...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/14/2021 5:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Careful with basketball...don't want to end up a dunk champ like Tom Segura...

Horrible or hilarious?

|

I get big airs off small things

6/14/2021 7:21 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Fucked up right shoulder from a stupid xup ride. Can't sleep on it in certain ways or it dislocates. The twice-broken jaw or ...more

Dont do X up rides or grinds. not worth it.

|

Husky Nation Member

6/20/2021 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/20/2021 10:19 AM

@420530666
Sliding nap. Savage sick sick sick

Mine is a broken shoulder from getting hit by a gigantic trucks side view mirror.
Some guy with a huge-ass truck, that was covered in famous stars and straps decals, dude was texting, rode up on the sidewalk 25-30 mph, and clipped my shoulder with the side mirror the size of a box fan.
Needed 3 surgeries.
Luckily thank god I was riding on the sidewalk and not in the bike lane because he's probably have killed me if I was in the street.
*Drives monster truck to get gallon of milk. *Uses gallon of gas. Big brain time.

|

6/23/2021 7:04 AM

Elbow. Right.

It was a really strange story tbh. I had been street riding for about four years. I had a crash and broke a finger and my fiancée said she was tired worrying about me. Other than that? few smashes to the shin and bashed knees but nothing bad.

I moved to the USA in 2000. From London. I sold off my bikes and was preparing for the move when my buddy phoned me up and gave me a lead on a NOS 1984 PK Ripper. I figured "That could be worth something some day, and I can ride that without doing anything stupid as it would break !". So I bought it. Boxed it all up and had it sent cargo to Phila.

Got over to the states and about a week later I get a call from cargo. Went and picked it up from Phillie. It was October 3rd 2000 and the weather was beautiful. About 80f with a lovely breeze. I really wanted to ride. My fiancée was out with her mother and the house was empty. Took it down to the barn and started building it. Then I noticed that one of my Gsport lock nuts was missing. IDK if you will remember these, but they looked like a 50p. Huge, to stop alu frames from being chewed on the inside. I figure I will use the one that didn't fall out and use a regular lock nut on the other side. Big mistake.

I got the bike built and took a ride around. It was really light. So I decided to go full pelt up the drive way, here.

Photo

Blue indicates where I built it. Red indicates where I started gunning it and blue is the end of the drive. I soon realised this bike weighed about the same as a subway sandwich, so after roaring up the drive I decided to turn into the street and give it another full send. Just as I was starting to run out of breath the back wheel moved, locked, and threw me over the bars. All I had on was a pair of shorts and a pair of sneakers. This is where it all went into slo mo. First thing I did was put my arms over my face and brace for impact. I got impact alright. All 200lb of me landed directly on my right elbow. I remember lying there dazed and confused, and just moaning from where I was winded. With a 1984 PK Ripper up my arse.

As soon as I could muster the strength I kicked the bike out from under me and just laid there. Then a stranger pulled up in a car, and her husband helped me in. Turns out these were my new neighbours I hadn't met yet. I got back to the garage and they knocked on the door. Thankfully at some point when I was in the barn my wife had returned home with my MIL.

My mother in law took one look and nearly threw up. She gave me a damp wash cloth, and told me I should hold it over my elbow. When I got to the A&E some black dude said "Hey brother, you're leaking !" and I noticed a big blood trail out to the car. I stil had not looked at my elbow because I was kinda in shock.

It turns out that the road I fell on was a farm road, with sharp rock thrown into the asphalt so that tractors and trucks can grip during winter. And it had basically made my elbow explode. There was no skin left anywhere, about 4" from my elbow down my right arm. I had to go into surgery. Awake. They gave me about 10 injections, then started literally cutting skin off with scissors. Then the surgeon started basically pushing his fingers down into my arm under the skin, washing it all out with iodine. The elbow itself was fractured, and had large scrapes to the bones from the impact. After about two hours of this they put a rubber tube down my arm into my wrist so that any infection could weep out, then they sewed that in, stretched the skin from the inside of my elbow around and sewed it all up.

It was about three weeks before I could bend my elbow. The tube was in for about the same. Then I had to have another surgery to remove the tube and plug up the hole (stitches). All in? I could not use my arm for nearly four months. I remember having to wrap it with saran wrap every day just so I could shower.

Now? all that remains of my elbow skin is scar tissue. With bone under it. Hence, if I ever bash my right elbow on a door frame or something? I will fill the air with expletives.

What amazes me was that I wasn't even doing anything particularly stupid or that dangerous, as I had been famed for over the past four years. This however? scared the living shit out of me. I sold the PK and bought a race bike, but I got on it and my bottle was just completely gone. I just kept getting flashbacks of the surgery etc etc. That got sold, and I never rode another bike for 9 years.

I'm back on bikes now, but I wear gloves, helmet and so on. Which is a bit of a passion killer, but yeah like I said I still have nightmares about that elbow injury and every time I look in the mirror I am reminded.

|

6/23/2021 9:53 AM

^Tldr

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/23/2021 12:48 PM

"you're gunna feel that when you're older...."

I must be older 'cause i feel everything.

|

6/23/2021 3:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2021 3:19 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

^Tldr

long story short, he was doing the some not so Christian minecraft server friendly stuff with this girl (or guy he never really specified) and she was on top. He went for the reach around to smack her ass but missed and slapped himself in the nuts full force. To this day he still can't sit down. Not really bmx related but cool story nonetheless

|