Injury of the day...

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2018 11:38 AM

This isn't an injury but actually good news...I went for my knee X-rays yesterday, fully expecting to be diagnosed with osteo-arthritis (Dad had it, Brother has it, Sister has it)

NOTHING. For a 33 year old former skateboarder/fruitbooter/current BMXer, the doctor said I have no restrictions on activities and for my age my knees are extremely healthy and have plenty of cartilage.

Such a freaking relief since I walk about 5 miles a day just doing normal shit.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/15/2018 12:09 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

This isn't an injury but actually good news...I went for my knee X-rays yesterday, fully expecting to be diagnosed with osteo-arthritis (Dad had it, Brother has it, Sister has it)

NOTHING. For a 33 year old former skateboarder/fruitbooter/current BMXer, the doctor said I have no restrictions on activities and for my age my knees are extremely healthy and have plenty of cartilage.

Such a freaking relief since I walk about 5 miles a day just doing normal shit.

Nice! Thats great news!

|

5/25/2018 1:58 PM

Just got back from the doctors. Saw them about my leg...havent been able to ride and do tricks since the 8th of this month. Really frustrating.

Doctor ordered an mri, hopefully insurance approves it. Sucks...lol

|

5/25/2018 2:16 PM

Not really related but can you get an MRI with a plate and screws in the area? I saw a video of metal things getting pulled into an MRI scanner

|

Hmmm

5/25/2018 7:49 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Not really related but can you get an MRI with a plate and screws in the area? I saw a video of metal things getting pulled into an MRI scanner

No, I dont think you can.

|

5/27/2018 9:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/27/2018 9:16 AM

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now, I just had a look at my leg in the shower today and it's literally 1/3 of the size it was, and this is with me doing twice the recommended physio which just made me depressed as fuck.

I fucking wish I would have just landed on that kid.

|

Hmmm

5/27/2018 9:57 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now, I just had a look at my leg in the shower today and it's literally 1/3 of the size it was, and this is with me doing twice the recommended physio which just made me depressed as fuck.

Next time, let someone else deal with the bodily harm laughing

But seriously, you’ll recover and it’ll get better. Most of the muscle mass you have in your leg is stabilizer muscles that will build back up when you’re walking again for several months. I hear you though, the psychological aspect of recovery is so frustrating.

If it makes you feel any better I rode for 4 hours yesterday, laid down to rest and when I put my hands behind my head I dislocated my shoulder really bad. Fucking pathetic man. I can pull my 25lbs bike, swing around, do all this shit and laying down to take a rest took me out for the day.

The biggest problem is I know it’s fucked past the point of natural recovery. I’m 100% going to need surgery. It came out of its socket 14 times in 2015. unsure

|

5/27/2018 11:05 AM

Edman123 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Next time, let someone else deal with the bodily harm laughing

But seriously, you’ll recover and it’ll get better. Most of the muscle mass you have in your leg is stabilizer muscles that will build back up when you’re walking again for several months. I hear you though, the psychological aspect of recovery is so frustrating.

If it makes you feel any better I rode for 4 hours yesterday, laid down to rest and when I put my hands behind my head I dislocated my shoulder really bad. Fucking pathetic man. I can pull my 25lbs bike, swing around, do all this shit and laying down to take a rest took me out for the day.

The biggest problem is I know it’s fucked past the point of natural recovery. I’m 100% going to need surgery. It came out of its socket 14 times in 2015. unsure

O shit

|

Hmmm

5/27/2018 7:07 PM

Man some of you guys are dealing with some nasty damage, wishing for the best healing possible for everyone.

Crashed at the trails yesterday, managed to land like entirely on my finger, it's a slightly purple sausage finger now. I don't think it's broken luckily, though if it's still bad in a few days I guess I'll go get it looked at. Luckily not my writing hand so that's nice.

|

5/27/2018 8:34 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I know that feeling exactly...more than one time. Perhaps another soon.

|

5/27/2018 10:00 PM

Edman123 wrote:

I got out of my cast around the end of March and I was in the exact same boat. I started cycling to work(7km) again every day as soon as I got out of it and by mid April, it was just about back to normal and I've built it up quite a bit more than it used to be now. Point is, you can easily build your leg up with a good amount of the right exercise, especially if you couple that with a good diet. If you can, I'd highly recommend you try swimming; it'll really help your range of motion, help to rebuild whatever muscle has atrophied and improve your blood circulation which will help healing a huge amount.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/28/2018 2:17 AM

Yeah I'll try swimming, I'm planning on cycling 3 miles to the pump track doing some laps (25 maybe I'm not sure how many I'll be able to do) and the cycling home everyday after college.

|

Hmmm

5/28/2018 11:57 AM

Update: everything is getting better except my wrist doesn't seem to want to get any better (sprained it in that crash I guess). Sucks because they finally re opened the dirt track like a week later. pinch Shit happens I guess lol.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

5/28/2018 12:56 PM

Photo
Thought I would add a photo of the larger scar I now have, you can see how it swells around the brace at the front and looks all kinds of fucked up, they also shaved my whole leg pretty much down to the ankle before the surgery which make my leg look even paler than normal lol
|

Hmmm

5/30/2018 10:51 PM

Update on my sitch.

Been doing physical therapy while I wait for insurance to approve my MRI Scan.

Seems to be improving pain-wise. The physical therapist has pointed out I have a bit of imbalance of musculature usage. I tend to use my quadriceps in place of my hip and butt muscles...She asked if I ride bikes a lot. Lol

Other than that nothing new to report, still been taking it easy and not doing tricks. Just riding, its not as fun but at least this is making me take some time off to let my wrists heal hopefully. I am itching to get back to learning new stuff...

|

6/5/2018 12:06 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Update on my sitch.

Been doing physical therapy while I wait for insurance to approve my MRI Scan.

Seems to be improving pain-wise. The physical therapist has pointed out I have a bit of imbalance of musculature usage. I tend to use my quadriceps in place of my hip and butt muscles...She asked if I ride bikes a lot. Lol

Other than that nothing new to report, still been taking it easy and not doing tricks. Just riding, its not as fun but at least this is making me take some time off to let my wrists heal hopefully. I am itching to get back to learning new stuff...

I have a pretty serious hip flexor imbalance that's fucking my back up something fierce. Sucks that it takes so much work to correct.

Speaking of which, I saw a new chiropractor last night, he took 2 quick X-Rays and said verbatim -

"Okay...L4 and L5 are definitely displaced/bulging...and uh....I would diagnose an issue with S1 disk...but it's not there"

So...2 of my verterbra are touching.

Not good.

|

6/5/2018 12:14 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Pinched a nerve in my back but that's just my getting-back-into-regular-riding technique coming in. Getting quickly better with stretches but I gotta watch it. Ankle finally stopped hurting which was being a bitch for the past 2 weeks. Knee kills from riding Hadley yesterday. Otherwise im glad to be back at challenging myself with new tricks.

Kinda helps but I am a personal trainer I will make an injury prevention and home treatment thread.

Since I turned 18 (43now) I only have broken a finger and still at times my back is stiff. But it is due to following a few simple things that keep me in pretty good shape and keep my joints healthy.

|

6/6/2018 1:16 AM

Shit, gotta join on this thread. My left knee popped yesterday, it tried bending sideways. Went to do a newly learned flyout barspin and landed no-handed. Bike went sideways and god damn I kept my feet on the pedals. I might call in to work because walking isn't going well. Don't really want to get it checked out because what are they gonna do? Tell me to wear a brace, ice it, ibuprofen, rest it for a bit...

|

6/6/2018 5:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2018 5:08 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

Shit, gotta join on this thread. My left knee popped yesterday, it tried bending sideways. Went to do a newly learned flyout barspin and landed no-handed. Bike went sideways and god damn I kept my feet on the pedals. I might call in to work because walking isn't going well. Don't really want to get it checked out because what are they gonna do? Tell me to wear a brace, ice it, ibuprofen, rest it for a bit...

You got medical insurance? A pop could mean a ligament rupture if its super painful.

|

6/6/2018 6:12 AM

My foot hurts when I walk now, I tried to walk it off but then realised that it probably needs to rest more than anything else ATM.

|

Hmmm

6/6/2018 6:52 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

You got medical insurance? A pop could mean a ligament rupture if its super painful.

Yeah I do, I might get it checked this afternoon, walking isn't happening, plus if I'm off work more than a few days, I'll need a doctor's note.

|

6/7/2018 4:13 PM

Anybody ever injured their peroneal tendons? I've got a small split tear in my peroneus longus on my left ankle. Had a bad heel impact about a month ago. Couldn't hardly walk the day of the injury, now I can walk and jump a little but still have pain just moving around. I don't know if I'll be able to get back on the bike after this one.

|

6/9/2018 7:54 AM

This is going to be expensive, got x-rayed Wednesday, nothing broken, gave me a brace and crutches and told me to get checked by an orthopedic surgeon. Went Thursday and he said it's likely torn ACL, LCL and possibly meniscus, offered to drain it but said I'd hold off. Did MRI that afternoon, follow up is Monday. Started PT yesterday, ortho said he couldn't slice me until I could bend it better. I'm hoping no cutting will be involved. Lame!

|

6/9/2018 9:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2018 9:25 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

This is going to be expensive, got x-rayed Wednesday, nothing broken, gave me a brace and crutches and told me to get checked by an orthopedic surgeon. Went Thursday and he said it's likely torn ACL, LCL and possibly meniscus, offered to drain it but said I'd hold off. Did MRI that afternoon, follow up is Monday. Started PT yesterday, ortho said he couldn't slice me until I could bend it better. I'm hoping no cutting will be involved. Lame!

Ive had a torn acl for quite some time. Years. You can get by. May swell up some times but the best thing you can do to avoid suregery is your hamstring strength to counter the bad acl.

|

6/9/2018 9:48 AM

I've been dealing with a legit herniated disc in my lower back for months now. Those of you that have had this issue know how painful it is. I'd take broken bones and torn ligaments over disc/nerve pain every time.

I am trying to get insurance and that is proving impossible (despite Trump saying he removed the health care restrictions. he did not. at. all)

I'm struggling just to put my pants and socks on my feet.

These types of injuries don't heal on their own. One needs medical help. Which i can't get...

|

6/9/2018 10:03 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

mikebottolfson236 wrote:

Ive had a torn acl for quite some time. Years. You can get by. May swell up some times but the best thing you can do to avoid suregery is your hamstring strength to counter the bad acl.

Yeah, my ACL disconnected at both ends and the doctor says to just build up my leg muscles and I won't need surgery unless the knee is unstable.

|

Hmmm

6/9/2018 10:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/9/2018 10:12 AM

pnj wrote:

I've been dealing with a legit herniated disc in my lower back for months now. Those of you that have had this issue know how painful it is. I'd take broken bones and torn ligaments over disc/nerve pain every time.

I am trying to get insurance and that is proving impossible (despite Trump saying he removed the health care restrictions. he did not. at. all)

I'm struggling just to put my pants and socks on my feet.

These types of injuries don't heal on their own. One needs medical help. Which i can't get...

Stretching and yoga. Listen to Dennis Enarson on the Rollback Podcast. He talks about being laid out several times and recovering without surgery/meds. Also do you know what disk is herniated?

I’ve landed myself in the ER twice because of my issues and both times they did absolutely nothing for me. I got mri/x rays, a diagnosis from a primary care doctor, and was referred to a chiropractor.

I hobbled into her office, got adjusted, and practically danced out. She mentioned one thing to me that really stuck out and helped me was thinking of my hips, quads and hamstrings as pulleys. If your quads are tighter than hamstrings your hips dip forward and fuck your spine up. If your hamstrings are tighter than your quads your hips dip back and fuck your spine up. So concentrate on strengthening your core, back, hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings. Build those muscles up to begin taking more of the load rather than your spine. This approach has kept me going.

so, don’t resign yourself to being totally screwed. Look up these stretches/exercises to do when you start to improve:

deep glute stretch
bird dog
cobra stretch
shell stretch
child’s pose

Don’t give up, dude. I got diagnosed just this week with a congenital spinal deformity in my spine, and one of my disks is completely gone. I can still walk/ride/fuck. You’ll beat this. ??

|

6/9/2018 1:10 PM

i can't even stretch.

before this injury I WAS doing yoga two times a day. My core is strong. I'm 47 and in the best shape of my life. (minus this injury)

Bodies heal well on their own. I have already had surgery 12 years ago for this same issue. I waited 1.5 years (doing ANYTHING but surgery to eliminate the pain. I used all medical options but in the end I got surgery because none of them helped AT ALL)

This injury is six months old. It's not getting better. it's getting worse. Even simple walking elevates the pain.

My pain threshold is pretty high too. I'm the guy that breaks bones and waits a week before going to the doctor because 'it might just be a sprain.."

I need legit medical help with this one.

|

6/12/2018 8:27 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

mikebottolfson236 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah, my ACL disconnected at both ends and the doctor says to just build up my leg muscles and I won't need surgery unless the knee is unstable.

My ACL is not attached at the femur anymore and medial meniscus has complex tearing. They tell me without surgery I'd only be able to walk straight, no pivoting. Want me to regain full mobility before he could graft it together. Second opinion?

|

6/12/2018 8:31 AM

mikebottolfson236 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

4130Junkie wrote:

My ACL is not attached at the femur anymore and medial meniscus has complex tearing. They tell me without surgery I'd only be able to walk straight, no pivoting. Want me to regain full mobility before he could graft it together. Second opinion?

Idk man my leg was pretty immobile for 2 months and I have age on my side but I do walk fine,
I'm also not sure on the reliability in the US healthcare system so I would ask someone with a more similar experience to yours.

|

Hmmm