Installing Cranks.

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2011 7:07 PM

1. Why are colony cranks so difficult to put on. Anyone got any advice?

2. How much cranks spacers should I use and how much clearance do i want from my crank to frame?

|

9/13/2011 7:10 PM

in my bb tut i said i didnt think anyone needed a crank putting on tut and hoped to god they didnt. apparently i was wrong. oooh so wrong

my cranks have about 3mm clearance from the frame, ud probably want a bit more than that. just make sure the sproket and cassette arnt too out of line, that can cause issues

|

Trails not Rails

E21 - Resto + E30 340i M60 v8 build + E36 328ti Daily skidder

9/13/2011 7:56 PM

What cassette are you running? When i ran my colony I had to put about 5mm of spacer behind my chainwheel to get perfect alignment...now with my tree i have the thinnest one i can find to keep the chainwheel off my frame and it is perfect. Then on the other side i run a large odyssey cone spacer with a 3mm normal spacer and everything works perfect. Different companies use different width bb shells too, so it is kind of a trial and error thing

|

9/13/2011 10:00 PM

bobPA wrote:

What cassette are you running? When i ran my colony I had to put about 5mm of spacer behind my chainwheel to get perfect alignment...now with my tree i have the thinnest one i can find to keep the chainwheel off my frame and it is perfect. Then on the other side i run a large odyssey cone spacer with a 3mm normal spacer and everything works perfect. Different companies use different width bb shells too, so it is kind of a trial and error thing

shadow raptor. the only spacer i have on the driver side is the sprocket locator one that slides in the middle of the sprocket. then the other side i have 2 thin spacers.

|

9/13/2011 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2011 1:56 AM

Verde. wrote:

in my bb tut i said i didnt think anyone needed a crank putting on tut and hoped to god they didnt. apparently i was wrong. oooh so wrong

my cranks have about 3mm clearance from the frame, ud probably want a bit more than that. just make sure the sproket and cassette arnt too out of line, that can cause issues

yeah i got about a 3mm gap on my non driver side and on my driver side i got about a 4mm gap. And its pretty align with my driver.

|

9/15/2011 1:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2011 4:11 AM

How align is aligned?
And i think i need the colony crank install bolt tool thing to put my cranks on.. Also does it matter if one side is like a tiny bit less away from the frame than the other side.

|