Integrated head set with r32 forks

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2017 7:06 PM

Just put together brand new steadfast with r32 forks. The frame has an integrated headset. When I pressed the bearings into the headtube, the bottom bearings sit about 1-2 mm up into the frame leaving a lip between the headtube and bearings. The top sits above the head tub, are bearings specific for the top and bottom? I put them in the way they came out of box. I didn't get it a chance to take them apart and switch them, but I did want to see if this was normal?

Photo

|

3/11/2017 7:25 PM

Its normal for bearings to be resting a bit more in the frame with a lip, but I'm not so sure about the top bearing sticking out. Pics? Did you try switching them around?

|

3/11/2017 9:10 PM

Can be normal for both. My bottom bearing is in about the same amount. My top bearing is a little taller than the top seat. Just look at the actual bearing seat/cup height. The top seat on my headtube is clearly shorter than the bearing itself. YMMV.

Just don't force anything. The bearings are in there mostly passively, relying on tension from the steerer compression cap and other headset bits. You'll be fine.

|

3/11/2017 10:57 PM

It's supposed to stick up a little on top, otherwise the top cap will bottom out against the frame and rub

|

3/12/2017 5:33 AM

Just for the record, everything feels fine. No play, rims/bars turn fine the bottom bearings are recessed up in the head tube

|

3/12/2017 12:07 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

It's supposed to stick up a little on top, otherwise the top cap will bottom out against the frame and rub

This. This is exactly it.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

3/12/2017 1:25 PM

Thanks for the input guys. More curious about the bottom bearing receding up in the steer tube

|

3/12/2017 2:02 PM

mistaare wrote:

Thanks for the input guys. More curious about the bottom bearing receding up in the steer tube

This is also fine. Again, look at the thickness of the bearing, and look at the thickness of the bottom bearing seat in the headtube. The bearing is thinner than the seat, thus it necessarily will have that gap. Mine looks just like that. You're aces, buddy! Now stop reading this and go ride!

|

3/14/2017 8:46 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

This as well . You see like a mm of silver space between the cap and the headtube ? It's your bearings , you're fine . It doesn't affect it , and dirt can't get it that way anyways

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/14/2017 3:53 PM

Perfectly normal! On the past 2 frames I've had the bearing was the same for my r32's

|

3/15/2017 12:29 AM

Just for peace of mind.. here's my steadfast with r32's

|

3/15/2017 12:31 AM

Photo

|

3/15/2017 1:02 AM

Yeah that's fine. Good choice of frame too! Fbm are where it's at!

|

3/21/2017 2:03 PM

A bottom race is not necessary? I have a Kink with an integrated headset but the forks I have don't have a built in race. Can I still ride that setup?

|

3/21/2017 3:26 PM

mike2751 wrote:

A bottom race is not necessary? I have a Kink with an integrated headset but the forks I have don't have a built in race. Can I still ride that setup?

You'll need a race, going without one will damage the bearings. Ask a friend, if they've ordered a headset before, they should have one lying around.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson