Intro...Rant about LBSes...New bike

Related:
Create New Tag

6/9/2016 1:58 AM

I'm Ice Cold 37 from TN and I'm a bikealcholic. I' rode BMX back in the 80s got a car and left the bike. In my 20's I got into Mountain bikes, and have been riding them off and on ever since, The kids across the street started riding their bikes and I made them a 10" kicker. I was showing them basic tricks and the BMX popped in my head. I soon got the BMX bug. So I went to the LBS to check out inventory. Needless to say that was a waste of time. $ bike shops I went to. 2 of the shops had less than a handful of entry level bikes. Other 2 had zero BMX bikes. I ask why no one has bikes and they say It's out of style, they don't sell, and there is not money to be made with online competition. Blew my time for a few days so anyways I started looking online. I got a 21" S&M Hucker frame and tons of goodies from Dans comp. Parts should be here Thursday. I hate to say it but F the LBS's I'll be building this beast myself and repairing it myself. I do all my own work on my MTN bike anyways. Only issue is I've never trued a wheel and don't have a truing stand. I'll be posing pics soon. Happy to be here.

|

6/9/2016 2:20 AM

Ice Cold wrote:

I'm Ice Cold 37 from TN and I'm a bikealcholic. I' rode BMX back in the 80s got a car and left the bike. In my 20's I got into Mountain bikes, and have been riding them off and on ever since, The kids across the street started riding their bikes and I made them a 10" kicker. I was showing them basic tricks and the BMX popped in my head. I soon got the BMX bug. So I went to the LBS to check out inventory. Needless to say that was a waste of time. $ bike shops I went to. 2 of the shops had less than a handful of entry level bikes. Other 2 had zero BMX bikes. I ask why no one has bikes and they say It's out of style, they don't sell, and there is not money to be made with online competition. Blew my time for a few days so anyways I started looking online. I got a 21" S&M Hucker frame and tons of goodies from Dans comp. Parts should be here Thursday. I hate to say it but F the LBS's I'll be building this beast myself and repairing it myself. I do all my own work on my MTN bike anyways. Only issue is I've never trued a wheel and don't have a truing stand. I'll be posing pics soon. Happy to be here.

I wouldn't sy F LBS's... but I hear ya on how frustrating it can be when they don't support BMX. We still need em around for when you just need that one part or tool the same day.

|

6/9/2016 2:49 AM

Those lbs' are right though unfortunately. Bmx isn't a huge market. If they stocked even mid range completes, they probably wouldn't sell any.

Glad to hear you're getting back on a bmx though! There's tons of us older riders around now!

|

6/9/2016 2:49 AM

I tried to work with 1 bike shop. I talked to them on the phone and they seemed cool but when I got there they handed me an out of date 2015 catalog with there dealers brands and we're coersing me into their "we can get a deal on these brands". I got aggravated at that and left. They wanted to piece the parts out for different price brackets. I really don't have time for someone else to pick and choose my parts for me. I just do not need the bs.

|

6/9/2016 4:10 AM

My local bike shop sucks 2.
Check out Powers Bike Shop in Richmond Va.
Great deals,great people, top brands.I think they still offer free shipping over $30
Check them out.

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

6/9/2016 5:00 AM

My local shop is all bmx. And they can do powder coating

|

It’s all bmx

6/9/2016 2:26 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

My local bike shop sucks 2.
Check out Powers Bike Shop in Richmond Va.
Great deals,great people, top brands.I think they still offer free shipping over $30
Check them out.

my local shop is pretty cool they sell a lot of stolen bike the brand they sell grips pedals bars rims tires its called bicyles of Tulsa and its a road bike mtn bike store

|

I once walked into a gay bar it did not end well

6/10/2016 7:05 AM

Ice Cold wrote:

Truing wheels is a lot easier than you think. All you need is a few zip ties and a spoke wrench to do it.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/10/2016 12:04 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

I've seen that video about truing wheels with the zip ties. Looks pretty easy. Do you need to measure the lengths so they are the same. Pretty sure you do. I got started on the build last night. I have a new found respect for them. I fought like hell on the headset and crank arms.

|

6/10/2016 12:10 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Ice Cold wrote:

I've seen that video about truing wheels with the zip ties. Looks pretty easy. Do you need to measure the lengths so they are the same. Pretty sure you do. I got started on the build last night. I have a new found respect for them. I fought like hell on the headset and crank arms.

I normally don't measure. Just make sure that when you true, have your wheel even in the dropouts. I made that mistake once. What kind of hardware did you pick up from dans?

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/10/2016 12:52 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Ice Cold wrote:

Slaytanic Wehrmacht 666 wrote:

I normally don't measure. Just make sure that when you true, have your wheel even in the dropouts. I made that mistake once. What kind of hardware did you pick up from dans?

Check my post in bike check.

|

6/10/2016 5:40 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Sup homie, i'm just below you in Collierville.

About a year ago I had almost the exact same thing happen to me... Called/ went to every bike shop in the Memphis area and was told they only carry generic 20" tubes and tires, nothing else. They also said they couldn't compete with online company's like Dan's Comp and to just order from them and build it yourself.

Anyway if you need any assistance, or are looking for someone to ride with feel free to hit me up whenever (I'm 24 btw).

Here's my 21.5" Tall Boy I built last year:
Photo
Photo

|

6/10/2016 8:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2016 8:37 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Sup homie, i'm just below you in Collierville.

About a year ago I had almost the exact same thing happen to me... Called/ went to every bike shop in the Memphis area and was told they only carry generic 20" tubes and tires, nothing else. They also said they couldn't compete with online company's like Dan's Comp and to just order from them and build it yourself.

Anyway if you need any assistance, or are looking for someone to ride with feel free to hit me up whenever (I'm 24 btw).

Here's my 21.5" Tall Boy I built last year:
Photo
Photo

CHIT, man so glad to hear from a local. I was chatting with the UPS man yesterday ,as he was bringing my fame, lol he was telling me that he knew Pat Holliday. He gave me his instagram which is Pat_Holliday. We chatted for a few minutes. He was happy that he got to deliver the frame to me. I definitely want to ride with you. I can do basic tricks and I want to learn more and go bigger! Today I was riding with the kids across the street on the 1' tabletop jump I built for us. One of them says "it'd be a cool trick if you could hop over the table top." I said I'll hop onto the top from the side and ride off." I look at him when I said it and his eyes got big and he's like alright. Man I nailed it so clean no case. It felt awesome. I mean I just got the bike riding @ about 3PM and that happened around 7PM. The differences between this bike and my other bike is night and day. I'm loop'n out a lot easier on this one. The bar ends are too long. I find myself holding where the curve of the bars are. Feels somewhat comfortable but I am getting calluses on my hands from riding. I need some gloves. Everything seems to be working on the bike. I had to adjust the stem a bit. It seems like the bars should spin easier but if I loosen it much I get a slight clunk but the bars will spin good. So I just tighten the top cap snug to get the clunk out. Then tighten the stem and then the top cap again. It works fine and has loosened up so I'm going with it. I had a great session tonight. Came away feeling super accomplished and can't wait to ride again tomorrow. Man I'm Super excited to ride with you we'll see what's up. I am new here I guess they have a messenger here or hit up me up through gmail @ GTRJason. You bike looks sic. Very nice. Funny looking back I'm glad I built the bike myself.

|

6/10/2016 8:54 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Ice Cold wrote:

Working great what do you think?
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

6/10/2016 8:59 PM

That is so sexy!! Turned out looking great dude. Let me know how it feels.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/10/2016 10:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2016 10:05 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Big ups on the build man, came out perfect!

I'm also getting back into riding, so I mainly just like to bomb around and jump onto/ off of stuff. I don't really ride around with anyone, but I know people ride at the parks here a lot.

Judging from your email i'm guessing you like JDM whips? I have my 240 in the Automotive Thread! Anything with a motor goes!. Do you mess around with import cars?

Also, make sure you have enough space for your compression bolt to compress, you might need to add a spacer, so that it doesn't clank when snugged. *Edit* Never mind I thought you where having the clank sound when the fork bolt was tight lol

|

6/11/2016 12:09 AM

Ice Cold wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Big ups on the build man, came out perfect!

I'm also getting back into riding, so I mainly just like to bomb around and jump onto/ off of stuff. I don't really ride around with anyone, but I know people ride at the parks here a lot.

Judging from your email i'm guessing you like JDM whips? I have my 240 in the Automotive Thread! Anything with a motor goes!. Do you mess around with import cars?

Also, make sure you have enough space for your compression bolt to compress, you might need to add a spacer, so that it doesn't clank when snugged. *Edit* Never mind I thought you where having the clank sound when the fork bolt was tight lol

Cool, Yea I have 2 Hondas (CRX and S2000) and 1 Nissan (240). The CRX and 240 are under construction. CRX is swapped with fresh built B16 and just needs paint. Which I'm working on. The 240 is lined up after the CRX gets done. I have an RB26 shotrblock I built. The heads valve lash needs to be shimmed to the cams I have. I have too much going on to mess with it right now but hopefully soon. I'll check that thread you mentioned.

I was cleaning it up and noticed the chain got pretty slack. The wheel was pretty far back in the dropout so I removed a link in the chain. I started using a socket instead of the allen key on the axle nuts. Works a lot better that way especially with the peg.

|

6/11/2016 12:37 AM

That is so sexy!! Turned out looking great dude. Let me know how it feels.

HAHA Thanks for the complements. I'm really digg'n it too. I'm feeling more comfortable with it the more I ride it. It feels really solid. I did have the back wheel shift on the maiden run when I jumped off the curb. Luckily I caught it when it happened and didn't crank on the peddles. That could have been ugly. I fixed it and now I tighten the axle bolts with a socket. I'm still on the learning curve how to tighten the wheels up LOL. I got it now smile . I jumped it a bunch and I cleared the table top after I got my confidence up. I like to jump from the sloped side over and land on mini quarter trans side. It's so much fun.

|

6/11/2016 12:43 AM

Ice Cold wrote:

Hell ya, we definitely have to chill man!

I got tired of dumping money into the SOHC, so i'm still trying to decide what I want to put in her:
Photo

|

6/11/2016 3:04 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

I got tired of dumping money into the SOHC, so i'm still trying to decide what I want to put in her:
Photo

For sure man. That's a very nice whip man. Fresh paint I see. I have been working on getting my paint booth finished up. Today was removing the old Home Depot Epoxy paint off the floor. It's a PITA. I am bout to go over it 1 more time with stripper and wash it down. I hope to be putting the new stuff down tomorrow. Slowly but surely. smile

|

6/11/2016 5:34 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

These local shops are missing out on whats happening.

I've been seeing more and more old guys like myself getting back to BMX. If this continues like it has been lately, thats a lot of money they are passing on.

|

6/11/2016 8:28 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

I pretty much followed your same story! Currently 47; started riding in the late 70's early 80's...lived on my bike till I got a car. Got into MTB in college.

I have been getting a little better week by week. Still riding my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro, but am planning on getting a Verde Luxe here in the next few weeks. I like that table top you built. My step son is who wanted to learn to BMX after we started MTB together and then he saw my old MG. Got him an old SE Wildman to start on (for free from a friend...can't beat that price).

Found a few great places to ride and we have the whole summer ahead of us!

Jealous of that pile of "toys" from Dans Comp! Half the fun is building and maintaining a bike

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/12/2016 12:43 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

For sure man. That's a very nice whip man. Fresh paint I see. I have been working on getting my paint booth finished up. Today was removing the old Home Depot Epoxy paint off the floor. It's a PITA. I am bout to go over it 1 more time with stripper and wash it down. I hope to be putting the new stuff down tomorrow. Slowly but surely. smile

Thanks man! The previous owner did it right by doing a full professional glass-out paint job about 8yrs ago. It's not 100% perfect, but black is a bitch to keep free of swirl marks and other defects lol. Plus just seeing a 240 with a decent one color paint job is pretty uncommon these days.

Also, much respect on the paint booth and being a painter, I know that shit takes a lot of skill and time man.

I'll pm you my info, so we can maybe meet up when time allows and the rain stops.

|

6/12/2016 2:17 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

I pretty much followed your same story! Currently 47; started riding in the late 70's early 80's...lived on my bike till I got a car. Got into MTB in college.

I have been getting a little better week by week. Still riding my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro, but am planning on getting a Verde Luxe here in the next few weeks. I like that table top you built. My step son is who wanted to learn to BMX after we started MTB together and then he saw my old MG. Got him an old SE Wildman to start on (for free from a friend...can't beat that price).

Jealous of that pile of "toys" from Dans Comp! Half the fun is building and maintaining a bike

Very cool, I am getting better and better day by day too. There is so much room between me and the bike when I jump. I keep telling myself to bend my knees to keep the bike up closer to my body. The table top is a lot fun. I want to put a piece of angle iron on the side to do some grinds. I have another jump that's like a wedge. You have to jump up onto it then jump off the end depending on what trick your doing. It's fun cause it's like 2 jumps in 1 and timing is everything. I've only rode that one on my MTN bike. I was going to pull it out today but it started raining. Keep at it man so much fun especially with friends and family. Photo

|

6/12/2016 2:34 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Photo

Ice Cold wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Thanks man! The previous owner did it right by doing a full professional glass-out paint job about 8yrs ago. It's not 100% perfect, but black is a bitch to keep free of swirl marks and other defects lol. Plus just seeing a 240 with a decent one color paint job is pretty uncommon these days.

Also, much respect on the paint booth and being a painter, I know that shit takes a lot of skill and time man.

I'll pm you my info, so we can maybe meet up when time allows and the rain stops.

They did a good job. I have all the panels off the crx. I didn't pull the glass but all the trim around the glass has been pulled so at least it'll look clean with no overspray or masking lines. Also have the wings west body kit primed and ready for paint smile . I painted my CRX black after I fubar'd on it the 1st try. I agree black is very hard to keep clean. You would think its easy but nope it's the hardest. Yea I'll hit you up later on in the week since I have a lots going on with the rain and painting the floor today. I work at night Monday-Thursday and some Fridays if I need the OT. I look forward to hang'n out.

|

6/13/2016 7:51 PM

Ice Cold wrote:

Very cool, I am getting better and better day by day too. There is so much room between me and the bike when I jump. I keep telling myself to bend my knees to keep the bike up closer to my body. The table top is a lot fun. I want to put a piece of angle iron on the side to do some grinds. I have another jump that's like a wedge. You have to jump up onto it then jump off the end depending on what trick your doing. It's fun cause it's like 2 jumps in 1 and timing is everything. I've only rode that one on my MTN bike. I was going to pull it out today but it started raining. Keep at it man so much fun especially with friends and family. Photo

I hear ya about the jumps. I do tend to pull the bike closer on my MTB, but just not on the smaller BMX, but that is one of the big things I am working on at the park this summer. That, fakies, and just getting my manuals and bunny hops better are the big things this summer. My step son makes fun of me because I ride the same line at the park over and over...I have not gotten it correct yet. He is like Aren't you getting bored?" I am like :"nope, just getting GOOD!!!"

I might steal the design for the table top. It is like a "multi-purpose tool" for tricks....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/14/2016 11:25 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Ice Cold wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

I hear ya about the jumps. I do tend to pull the bike closer on my MTB, but just not on the smaller BMX, but that is one of the big things I am working on at the park this summer. That, fakies, and just getting my manuals and bunny hops better are the big things this summer. My step son makes fun of me because I ride the same line at the park over and over...I have not gotten it correct yet. He is like Aren't you getting bored?" I am like :"nope, just getting GOOD!!!"

I might steal the design for the table top. It is like a "multi-purpose tool" for tricks....

HEHE, that's how you get good. You keep working to get your tricks/lines polished. smile If you need any dimensions of the ramp I'd be happy to help. The only problem I found was that the tabletop was too big to move around by myself. I had to cut it in half. Now I use a dolly to roll it out into the street. I put up a few cones around it so no one runs over it. The picture was taken before I put the 1/8" top skin on it. The kids spray painted it and I sprayed a skull and crossbones on it. So much fun man.

|

6/14/2016 11:40 AM

Ice Cold wrote:

everything about this thread is win

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

6/18/2016 1:37 AM

Ice Cold wrote:

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

everything about this thread is win

Thanks for stopping by and appreciating this thread Bmxer_Yoshi. smile

*UPDATE* I have been enjoying the bike but I have had a problem ever since I built the bike. The issue has been with headset. Problem was that when I tighten the compression bolt on the forks the steering got very stiff. I was riding with it loose so I could turn the bars. With the compression bolt loose it caused excessive play in the bars. Tonight I was watching a youtube video called Headset Configuring - Sunday Bike's Aaron Ross EX BMX Part 2 - BikemanforU Bicycle Repair. In the video bikeman notices that the dust cap is rubbing the frame and he puts a shim under the dust cap to get proper clearance so it does not rub. I noticed that my dust cap was doing the exact same thing. So I put a few thin shims under my dust cap to get it up off the frame and guess what. It's working great now. I never thought to put shims under the dust cap but man it worked. I am so happy to finally fix that problem. I thought I needed a new headset and I was about to order another one. It's amazing what a few shims in the right place can do. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

|

6/19/2016 10:41 AM

Did you accidentally install the bottom race from your headset kit? Your fork already has one integrated, so if you did that would be the problem.

Also did you make sure your compression ring was installed the proper orientation, or make sure you didn't accidentally use the bottom race as the compression ring?

Reference:
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|