Introduce Yourself

Related:
Create New Tag

4/10/2018 5:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/10/2018 5:43 AM

that._.myles wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I also thought about building my own bike. This wouldn’t be too hard for me as I know my way around big bikes and it doesn’t seem like it would be too different. Any suggestions here? Should I do it and if so what part brands are good to buy from?

Building your own will, generally, be more expensive. Like, in the near double the price of a complete, more expensive (& that's at a bare minimum). However, there are deals to be had (take a look here, on Vital's "BMX for Sale" area of the forum). It is a good way to get exactly what you want, however, but if you don't know what you really want you are just making guesses as to frame size, fork offset, etc...; As for parts, if you were going to build, there are a ton of options. frames: S&M, FBM, Laird, United, Sunday, WTP, Eastern, FIT... the list goes on & on. & the other parts are the same.... tons of great manufacturers. Odyssey, GSport, Profile, Eclat, Colony, Shadow Conspiracy, Kink, Mission..; The problem with building your own is that it's really a nickel & dime sort of deal. It all seems pretty straight forward but you forget about things like tires, tubes, brake cables/gyro's, brake levers, grips, headsets, bottom brackets, seat posts, seats, stem, cranks, forks, pegs, hub guards, etc... it just adds up. You can easily spend $100+ by ordering a brake, brake lever, gyro, gyro tabs, etc... & that was just for a brake setup. It's like each order is $100-$200. I don't want to discourage you from building but since you are a beginner to the sport, it's really much more satisfying to buy a complete & replace parts as they need it. It's cheaper in the short term, gets you out riding immediately, and gives you a chance to really see what you like in a bike before dropping a ton of money on a custom build. SO... all that said, I would look at a good complete as your first bike.

P.S. This topic is getting a little long-winded & is probably better placed in the main portion of the "General BMX Talk" area. You'll also get a lot more info from other members who have a ton of experience you could benefit from.

|

4/11/2018 6:13 PM

I am new to forum. My name is Joel. I don’t ride anymore but I recently found 2 of my old bikes and wanted to see if someone could help me share pics of my bikes. Redline PL-20 and 800P. 1983 and 1985 models. I am original owner and have bill of sale, owner books, etc. Let me know if someone can help me post pics. Thanks in advance.

|

4/11/2018 6:23 PM

Just trying to introduce myself. My name is Joel. I just found a couple of my old bikes and want to share some pics. Can someone help me post pics?

|

4/11/2018 6:27 PM

My name is Joel and I’m in Birmingham AL. I don’t ride anymore but want to show off a few of my bikes from the 80’s that I just recently found. Can someone help me with posting pics?

|

4/12/2018 5:09 AM

My name is Joel and I'm in Birmingham, AL. I don't ride anymore but just found my old redlines and wanted to find out a little more about them. Looking to learn more about my old bikes from the forum.

|

4/18/2018 12:23 AM

Im Elijah
Im not a cool kid and have a cassette
I can ride a unicycle
Riding for 2 years-ish now
Mostly ride street with friends
Stickerbombed frame

|

4/19/2018 12:21 AM

My names Hunter, completely new to BMX and am looking at getting my first new bike, work full time on night shift.

Also enjoy Video games, hockey and cars.

|

4/19/2018 9:05 AM

aggripaDaRippa wrote:

My names Hunter, completely new to BMX and am looking at getting my first new bike, work full time on night shift.

Also enjoy Video games, hockey and cars.

Welcome! Take your time researching bikes & feel free to ask any questions you might have & we'll do our best to direct you. In the meantime, feel free to LOOK HERE to start. There's a lot of info there & is pretty much what you'll hear from everyone here on the forum.

|

4/22/2018 10:16 PM

Hello
Back into bmx because on my sons interest and take up of the sport, so looking for an entry level complete in uk, maybe second hand high end or cheaper new one???

|

4/23/2018 3:50 PM

Hey guys new here and I am still learning basics, best move is getting baby air on quarters. I really love riding, it makes me happy when I know I can do something that I previously couldn't do before. Looking forward to being a part of this cool community!

|

4/24/2018 11:56 AM

HNOE12 wrote:

Hey guys new here and I am still learning basics, best move is getting baby air on quarters. I really love riding, it makes me happy when I know I can do something that I previously couldn't do before. Looking forward to being a part of this cool community!

Welcome!

|

4/24/2018 2:17 PM

Hey, my names Matt and I'm from England in the UK. I used to ride when I was like 13 for a year before I had an accident and broke some bones and for some reason I never picked up my bmx again (had problems with wrist for years which didn't help). Always loved bikes though, my dad would build me dangerous ramps as a kid and I would go full send and eat shit every time.

Spent a lot of money building my dream bmx last year but had commitment issues with riding regularly (like once every month or 2) - that and I was beating myself up because I could never progress (because looking back I never stuck at it) and I had stupid anxiety over people judging me.

Now I'm 23 and I felt like something was missing so I said fuck it I can't half ass this I wanna go back to the days of being carefree about riding. I cut down drastically on smoking and made a promise to myself that I would start riding everyday and rediscover what I really love.

I've been out on my bike every single day for the past 3 weeks even if its just for a quick driveway practice. Now I'm feeling progress, getting super inspired by riders and the community, planning on helping out at the local trails, having a go at all styles of riding. I barely play video games anymore cause I'm so stoked on BMX. Came here to get more involved in the online community. Anyway, that's my story if anyone cares for it! Nice to meet you all.

|

4/25/2018 8:44 AM

matt556 wrote:

Hey, my names Matt and I'm from England in the UK. I used to ride when I was like 13 for a year before I had an accident and broke some bones and for some reason I never picked up my bmx again (had problems with wrist for years which didn't help). Always loved bikes though, my dad would build me dangerous ramps as a kid and I would go full send and eat shit every time.

Spent a lot of money building my dream bmx last year but had commitment issues with riding regularly (like once every month or 2) - that and I was beating myself up because I could never progress (because looking back I never stuck at it) and I had stupid anxiety over people judging me.

Now I'm 23 and I felt like something was missing so I said fuck it I can't half ass this I wanna go back to the days of being carefree about riding. I cut down drastically on smoking and made a promise to myself that I would start riding everyday and rediscover what I really love.

I've been out on my bike every single day for the past 3 weeks even if its just for a quick driveway practice. Now I'm feeling progress, getting super inspired by riders and the community, planning on helping out at the local trails, having a go at all styles of riding. I barely play video games anymore cause I'm so stoked on BMX. Came here to get more involved in the online community. Anyway, that's my story if anyone cares for it! Nice to meet you all.

Rock on, Matt! Glad you finally committed! It is an addiction that I don't think you kick.... it just lies dormant. Anyway, glad you are rolling again! Welcome to the forum!

|

5/9/2018 8:19 PM

Hey guys. My name is Mike. Just getting back into bmx after not riding for quite a while. My 8 yr old son decided he wanted to try it out so here we are. Now my other son who's 21 months old loves ripping the Skate Park on his balance bike. We ride the parks at least every other day. If your in the Dallas, Texas area let us know the good spots.

|

5/14/2018 8:54 AM

I'm James, I'm 16, im 6'1, I live in the UK and I live in a town populated with only 13 year old scooter chavs. I have been bmxing almost all my life but I have only recently became interested in improving.

|

5/14/2018 12:11 PM

What's up bmx world? Names Adam I'm live in eufaula ok, originally from Wichita ks. I ride a specialized and a giant rhythem,just picked up a 88 haro. That's what brought me here.anyways checking in

|

5/18/2018 1:39 PM

Ok....
Zoe, 12, female, riding for half a year, just fainted due to a crash...park some times street..5"5 with 20.5 Frame... 8,5 bars. 175 cranks... Tripod seat... Top lode stem 25t sprocket idk what else to put

|

5/19/2018 7:37 PM

Hi I'm Colin, I've been riding on and off since I was 15 and I'm 29 and still sucking. Putting a newish bike together and gonna try to learn some new stuff this year.

|

5/21/2018 7:31 AM

Zoeee wrote:

Ok....
Zoe, 12, female, riding for half a year, just fainted due to a crash...park some times street..5"5 with 20.5 Frame... 8,5 bars. 175 cranks... Tripod seat... Top lode stem 25t sprocket idk what else to put

Welcome! "Fainted due to a crash"?! That doesn't sound good! Hope you are alright.

P.S. If you don't have one, helmets are your friends.

|

5/21/2018 4:58 PM

Hi, my name is Mike.
I’m 48 and hung up my last bmx about 1987.
I’ve been trying to spark an interest in bmx with my son and stumbled on this place a couple months ago.
While lurking here trying to get up to speed on how things have changed I have rediscovered how much I enjoyed the sport.
Good times!

|

5/23/2018 6:05 PM

Mike Jr wrote:

Hi, my name is Mike.
I’m 48 and hung up my last bmx about 1987.
I’ve been trying to spark an interest in bmx with my son and stumbled on this place a couple months ago.
While lurking here trying to get up to speed on how things have changed I have rediscovered how much I enjoyed the sport.
Good times!

Welcome Mike. Where in Canada are you?

|

2018 Sunday Motoross

5/23/2018 6:11 PM

Hi, I'm Clint and live in Markham, near Toronto. I'm 45 and just started riding again last year after about a 32 year break. I grew up in the UK and had cheap department store BMXs and a Raleigh Grifter as a kid. I now have a bit more discretionary income and can afford much better bikes. Taking my kids (2 and 5) to Joyride 150 indoor bike park got me interested in BMX again. I sold my carbon road bike and mountain bike to fund some new acquisitions. I'm not very good but have set myself some goals to improve.

|

2018 Sunday Motoross

5/23/2018 6:54 PM

The English Hacker wrote:

Welcome Mike. Where in Canada are you?

Hi Clint,
Welcome to you.
I’m a few hours west of you in Sarnia.

|

5/26/2018 6:36 AM

Hi im Zak 28 im new here and it's been years since I rode bmx ..coming from mtb and road bikes

|

6/1/2018 8:40 AM

JackPiff wrote:

Hi im Zak 28 im new here and it's been years since I rode bmx ..coming from mtb and road bikes

Yo... TITLETOWN!!! Milwaukee here! Welcome to the forum!

|

6/7/2018 7:59 AM

Name's Joe. I started riding last month. I ride a Kink Launch. Favorite brand is Little Devil. I was into BMX growing up, never rode myself until now. I'm 32 and starting BMX...

I'm from Western New York and work as a professional hobbyist.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

6/8/2018 4:54 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Name's Joe. I started riding last month. I ride a Kink Launch. Favorite brand is Little Devil. I was into BMX growing up, never rode myself until now. I'm 32 and starting BMX...

Welcome! What is a "professional hobbyist"?! Sounds way more awesome than what I do (& what I do doesn't suck). LOL.....

We have a few members from the NY area (I know... it's huge). TheDarkEnergist is out that way. Maybe you guys could session together.

|

6/8/2018 5:08 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Welcome! What is a "professional hobbyist"?! Sounds way more awesome than what I do (& what I do doesn't suck). LOL.....

We have a few members from the NY area (I know... it's huge). TheDarkEnergist is out that way. Maybe you guys could session together.

I'm from Buffalo, NY The farthest away from NYC as you can get.
Professional Hobbyist: Primary Gig is Wedding DJ for Diligent Loiter Entertainment. A company owned and operated by my wife and myself. I also do competitive improv comedy, blacksmith, musician, magician, woodcarve, podcast and whatever else will bring in cash that comes my way.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

6/8/2018 11:11 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

I'm from Buffalo, NY The farthest away from NYC as you can get.
Professional Hobbyist: Primary Gig is Wedding DJ for Diligent Loiter Entertainment. A company owned and operated by my wife and myself. I also do competitive improv comedy, blacksmith, musician, magician, woodcarve, podcast and whatever else will bring in cash that comes my way.

Nice..... so you say your name is "Joe"? (just saying, because of your forum name..)? LOL.

|

6/8/2018 2:29 PM

cschmall wrote:

My name is Chris too! haha I've been riding for about 1.5 years or so, I completely suck, and I currently have a destroyed ankle. Oh, and I'm 16 and about 5'10"

MY name is Plamen trying to get into the sport .im 5.10 and i want to buy a complete bike 21 inch tt Please suggest .

|