Introduce Yourself

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2019 6:52 AM

drugsincars wrote:

I am Nick and just getting into BMX at 34 years old. Rode bikes at as a kid but never seriously and recently i decided BMX was my new hobby and i am going for it. Never to old to start having fun! Live in Salt Lake City and look forward to throwing myself down some stairs and maybe even Off some roof tops if i can manage to find the balls my wife took with her and the dog in the divorce. Seems like you have to be gritty to ride BMX and that's the kind of toughness i am ready to bleed for while earning my spot in the pages of BMX magazine and maybe even the back cover shot. Rock on y'all and keep peddling while you can otherwise you'll get lost in the world of wrinkled old skin accompanied by a lack of self worth and a courier in growing old. Stay young and Send it!!!

Awesome

|

8/5/2019 6:55 AM

Zamodrums76 wrote:

Hello, another older guy looking to get in BMX. I am 42, from SE. Massachusetts, I used to peddle around when I was younger, wasn't any good, but I've always loved riding and watching. Now that I have a little more time on my hands to focus on a new hobby, I'd like to have some fun again. Still, I haven't picked up a bike yet, looking, deciding on a budget, not sure what to get really. So I'm reading up, and trying to take it all in.

That’s awesome I’m new to bmx as well I’m 33 and I’m finding it a little hard to find a bike for me. All the info is a little overwhelming I find especially when searching on a budget.

|

8/5/2019 6:57 AM

Yo riot...get yourself something with a 22 inch top tube. I'm riding a redline asset 20 right now. You can actually still find them on Amazon pretty cheap. Go look for one. I pretty much bought it for the frame. Been upgrading it and I love it. It's a great bike for big boys.

|

8/8/2019 6:40 AM

Hey guys,

From South Africa, looking to get a BMX, turning 35 last bike i can remember having was a TREK TR20....so on the hunt now for a 2nd hand bike to start off with. Lots of dirt roads in my area so looking for something strong that i can throw around and play with.

|

8/18/2019 6:50 PM

Hi All,

I am Shane from Melbourne, Australia. I started riding in March 2019 as a 41 year old looking for a mid life crisis!

My first bike was a BMX but never did any freestyle. I love being on the bike and whilst still a very average rider, my skills are building every month. I am still finidng my way so do a little park, street and jumps (all badly...).

I ride a GT complete with two pegs.

|

Riding the parks and streets of Melbourne, Australia

8/19/2019 1:34 PM

theFALSE wrote:

New guy here. I'm a 38 year old fat dude that's looking to get into BMX with my sons and to lose some weight by riding. My limited experience with BMX was a few summers back in elementary school. The neighborhood kids and I pretty much lived at the BMX dirt race track for a few summers. Delco Park, Kettering Ohio!

Now I'm old, fat, and have kids. I recently moved to a new town that actually has a decent bike park. It's got 2 pump tracks, a few different dirt jump lines and a bunch of mountain bike trails. I'm also about 30 minutes away from an awesome indoor bike park. Mikes Bike Park in Dayton, OH!

My 8 year old loves riding so I'm currently looking into getting him a new bike that's a lot nicer than his current Wal-Mart special and get myself something that wont fall apart the first time I beat on it.

I'm planning on riding dirt and street. Thinking I'm going to try to learn some tricks and probably end up injuring myself.

Wish me luck!

Yes the false. Your practically a kid still, so will be easy. Just kidding dude. I am 43 and started after Xmas with my youngest who is 8. I’ve started from 0 and feel like I’m doing well, some younger riders are really impressed even when I tell em my age. I can’t say I’ve lost much weight, but I’ve definitely hurt myself a lot. Main thing is once you start it’s likely to become your new sport. What’s better than riding with your offspring and pushing each other on. As we say in the UK “crack on”

|

8/26/2019 2:32 PM

Stano wrote:

Hi All,

I am Shane from Melbourne, Australia. I started riding in March 2019 as a 41 year old looking for a mid life crisis!

My first bike was a BMX but never did any freestyle. I love being on the bike and whilst still a very average rider, my skills are building every month. I am still finidng my way so do a little park, street and jumps (all badly...).

I ride a GT complete with two pegs.

You sound almost exactly like me.

I'm new to BMX and flatland. I ride a Diamondback Grind with no brakes that I bought for $60 USD. It was intended just to get around, and then I decided I'd learn a few tricks to make A to B more fun. And here I am! :D

|

8/26/2019 7:58 PM

hi
danielle
toronto
cult gateway 2018

|

8/26/2019 10:27 PM

theFALSE wrote:

New guy here. I'm a 38 year old fat dude that's looking to get into BMX with my sons and to lose some weight by riding. My limited experience with BMX was a few summers back in elementary school. The neighborhood kids and I pretty much lived at the BMX dirt race track for a few summers. Delco Park, Kettering Ohio!

Now I'm old, fat, and have kids. I recently moved to a new town that actually has a decent bike park. It's got 2 pump tracks, a few different dirt jump lines and a bunch of mountain bike trails. I'm also about 30 minutes away from an awesome indoor bike park. Mikes Bike Park in Dayton, OH!

My 8 year old loves riding so I'm currently looking into getting him a new bike that's a lot nicer than his current Wal-Mart special and get myself something that wont fall apart the first time I beat on it.

I'm planning on riding dirt and street. Thinking I'm going to try to learn some tricks and probably end up injuring myself.

Wish me luck!

winny wrote:

Yes the false. Your practically a kid still, so will be easy. Just kidding dude. I am 43 and started after Xmas with my youngest who is 8. I’ve started from 0 and feel like I’m doing well, some younger riders are really impressed even when I tell em my age. I can’t say I’ve lost much weight, but I’ve definitely hurt myself a lot. Main thing is once you start it’s likely to become your new sport. What’s better than riding with your offspring and pushing each other on. As we say in the UK “crack on”

I hear you Winny about the weight loss, I was imagining the kg's (or lb's for our American friends) dropping off in no time. Turns out that at 42 and not excercising for 20 years, I wasn't as fit as I hoped and couldn't put enough time on the bike to burn the fat. It must be a mid-life crisis as a few weeks back I thought I might join a gym so I could build the strength and fitness to ride the bmx better and longer. It has only been a few weeks but can see a noticable difference in bike control and the ability to go a bit longer before getting blown out. The weight is also now starting to drop so super happy with that. My young fella is 16 and whilst I can't quite keep up with him yet, I am getting closer!!!

|

8/26/2019 10:31 PM

tubbytime wrote:

You sound almost exactly like me.

I'm new to BMX and flatland. I ride a Diamondback Grind with no brakes that I bought for $60 USD. It was intended just to get around, and then I decided I'd learn a few tricks to make A to B more fun. And here I am! :D

I got my first bike back in March for $50 but foolishly went with what my old head thought was cool. Ended up with a mid-school bike that was too heavy and had poor geometry. Ended up dropping $200 on another one a few months back and whilst it is secondhand, it is from 2017 and is way better to ride. It has definately made the tricks easier to learn on the newer geometry, although I haven't been game enough to drop the rear brake yet.....

|

8/28/2019 12:34 AM

Hey guys,

I am Lucas, 17, from Sswitzerland. I started riding like 7 years ago, after 2 years of riding I got hit by a car and broke both of my legs. After rehabilitation for about 1 year and another year of pausing everything I managed to get on my bike again. Since then I'm riding again.

Cheers.

|

9/1/2019 3:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2019 4:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I just jumped on this forum cos I'm thinking I should get into street BMX. I had a "freestyle" bike 30 years ago (a Schwinn Predator I think) but I was never any good. I'm 47 now and I'm just figuring out what bike I should get to start out with. It's cool seeing all the older folks on here - makes me realize there's no reason I can't get back out there.

It'ss fun reading what everyone has to say about riding these days. Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get back into it.

|

9/1/2019 3:37 PM

45th Parallel wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just jumped on this forum cos I'm thinking I should get into street BMX. I had a "freestyle" bike 30 years ago (a Schwinn Predator I think) but I was never any good. I'm 47 now and I'm just figuring out what bike I should get to start out with. It's cool seeing all the older folks on here - makes me realize there's no reason I can't get back out there.

It'ss fun reading what everyone has to say about riding these days. Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get back into it.

You part of the vodka company?

|

9/3/2019 4:33 PM

Name is dale, rode for about 10 years, stopped to start a company, now I am just starting up again, just built a mini with spine and box jumps, any jeresy guys welcome to ride.

|

9/3/2019 4:43 PM

thesonofsand wrote:

Name is dale, rode for about 10 years, stopped to start a company, now I am just starting up again, just built a mini with spine and box jumps, any jeresy guys welcome to ride.

Freehold here! 34 years old

|

9/9/2019 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2019 9:15 AM

What up. My name is Geoff. I rode for five years or so a long time ago. Getting back into it with a Fiend Type-0 2018 - had to swap the cranks out for a set of 170mm Stolen Mob V3's, Revolver BB, and Salt Gateway Sprocket. I live in Salisbury MD and have not seen a single other BMX rider. Just been getting back into it at a safe pace. Look forward to getting to know everyone.

Take care,
-gfnx

|

9/9/2019 8:22 AM

45th Parallel wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sup,

I tried to get a pretty much 'standard' complete for street with the idea that as I re-learn the feel of the bike, the tricks I want to do, etc I will know where to begin upgrading. This has worked out well so far.

|

9/10/2019 10:52 AM

Hey there...My name is Fernando. I was born in the 80's & raised in the 90's. Currently living near Bakersfield, but originally from Oxnard, CA. I was probably in elementary school the last time I rode a bike (I believe it was a redline - chrome/raw). And now that my daughter started riding a bike (she's 9), I figured it's a good way to spend some time w/her and do some exercise. Only issue...I'm clueless to BMX bikes and there components. Especially since what was considered legit in the 90's, doesn't really apply in today's world. What I do know is I never liked MTB and never will. lol. But I have been trying to learn by either reading blogs, watching videos, etc.

My daughter has a Kent bmx bike I won at work. After doing some research I've learned that bike sucks...but she loves it. So I'm hoping to eventually get her on a legit BMX. So far I've been able to obtain 1 complete bike and 2 not so great bikes. The complete is a 2016 FIT - The Pledge that I bought for $100. I was amazed at how lite it is compared to my daughter's bike. The other 2 bikes are what you consider unfinished "customs" (or trash....lol) and the main reason I join this forum. Hoping peeps can assist me on certain things that are way over my head, including building a bike on a tight budget.

|

9/12/2019 6:03 AM

Hey guys, found a bike for sale, just wanting to see if anyone has some info on the bike ? or if they think its worth it from the pic supplied.

|

9/12/2019 6:10 AM

I ride a 2014 redline asset. I like it. I upgraded a lot on it. This one looks like it has a lot of upgrades. I love my redline. The best part is the frame the. I think they are good bikes once you make it your own.

|

9/15/2019 7:14 PM

What up!

New guy almost 45, been way into bikes since before I remember.. Stingray 70s, flatland 80s, downhill MTB 90s, restoration and riding old crusers 2000-Now.. Both my son and daughter are autistic, and been riding the neighborhood streets with my daughter on my 49 Schwinn for 5 years now, she's 12 and on a 24" cruser.

I'm sorta here accidentally lol.. My son, who is non verbal, just ditched his training wheels on his 16" 🙌 last year at 9 years old.. I already had a really nice 20 Stingray set aside for him. But he didn't really seem to like it and it's still too big for him.

I ended up buying him a used 20" Verde and he loves it!

I started riding it and trying my old 1980s BS and accidentally got hooked again. Lol.. Ended up buying myself a Kink Williams complete and already some custom parts..

Ride it like ya stole it...

<°)))>{

|

9/15/2019 7:18 PM

Just to add..

These new style bikes and modern geometry are wicked awesome.. Already digging no brakes.. I miss my front brake more than anything though..

<°)))>{

|

9/16/2019 1:33 AM

Hi all,

I'm Mark from Ireland. I've just got my first BMX at the tender age of 37. I was getting sick of running along beside my 4 year old daughter on her bike.

I don't know where this journey will lead, but I've wanted a BMX since the 80s. I'd prefer to be the guy falling off his bike on a YouTube video then the guy sitting on the couch watching it.

|

9/22/2019 12:35 PM

Am trying to get into BMX atm. Haven't got a bike thou. Im 13 btw

|

The kid who wants to ride but ain't got a bike yet

9/23/2019 9:13 AM

Zentastic wrote:

Hi all,

I'm Mark from Ireland. I've just got my first BMX at the tender age of 37. I was getting sick of running along beside my 4 year old daughter on her bike.

I don't know where this journey will lead, but I've wanted a BMX since the 80s. I'd prefer to be the guy falling off his bike on a YouTube video then the guy sitting on the couch watching it.

Hey Mark, whereabouts in Ireland are you? I'm in Galway.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/10/2019 2:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2019 2:25 PM

Hey kids (creepy)-
I’m an old ass 41 yr old, and the BMX bug just bit me once again since I was about 9-10 years old. I guess that resurfaced this past summer at a family camp weekend, when my college-aged son couldn’t make it, so I took his 2010 FIT Park 1 that had been hanging off the rafters for years already, instead of my beach cruiser. So early one morning, hung over and half asleep I fly down a small decline, decide to bunny hop, and ATE IT on the asphalt! That moment right there is when I remembered just how it felt as a kid, eating shit several times attempting crazy shit over and over- AND I AM HOOKED ONCE AGAIN. So I’m pretty much an old dog learning new tricks- AGAIN. Still young at heart man. Just having fun.

|

F@&$ your skatepark! BMX all day!

10/10/2019 2:45 PM

Olman24inch wrote:

Hey kids (creepy)-
I’m an old ass 41 yr old, and the BMX bug just bit me once again since I was about 9-10 years old. I guess that resurfaced this past summer at a family camp weekend, when my college-aged son couldn’t make it, so I took his 2010 FIT Park 1 that had been hanging off the rafters for years already, instead of my beach cruiser. So early one morning, hung over and half asleep I fly down a small decline, decide to bunny hop, and ATE IT on the asphalt! That moment right there is when I remembered just how it felt as a kid, eating shit several times attempting crazy shit over and over- AND I AM HOOKED ONCE AGAIN. So I’m pretty much an old dog learning new tricks- AGAIN. Still young at heart man. Just having fun.

Hell yea dude, I am 35. Never too old to ride.

|

10/10/2019 3:45 PM

Olman24inch wrote:

Hey kids (creepy)-

Ditto, mate! 41 and loving being back on a bmx. Not loving the typically BS British weather right now though. Ride on!

|

10/10/2019 3:51 PM

It's tight seeing all us old fuckers getting back on two wheels. We should get a master's street league going. Lol!

|

10/11/2019 8:46 AM

Stano wrote:

I got my first bike back in March for $50 but foolishly went with what my old head thought was cool. Ended up with a mid-school bike that was too heavy and had poor geometry. Ended up dropping $200 on another one a few months back and whilst it is secondhand, it is from 2017 and is way better to ride. It has definately made the tricks easier to learn on the newer geometry, although I haven't been game enough to drop the rear brake yet.....

That’s kind of like my situation! Haha! Well I tried buying my son a Redline or Diamondback way back in 2010, cause that’s what I remembered being The bikes to shred on as a kid, but my kid was like, “dad no, that’s like old style.” WTH?! Haha! I felt pretty silly being schooled on “new school “ BMX by my, at the time, 11 year old!!! So we got him the Fit Park1, which I plan now on updating now, and he’s got now a 2019 TomDugan Fit (badass bike), and I’ve got my 2019 Free Agent Ratio 24” with updated aftermarket parts. Fun times!

|

F@&$ your skatepark! BMX all day!