Inventions you would make.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/21/2015 7:06 PM

What's a list of bmx related inventions you'd make?

I'd make wheel with built on pegs
and wheel with built in hub guards.
reversible grips- one side wears out turn it inside out and run it that way.

|

We out here breathing. -Bert

7/21/2015 7:59 PM

well....

I'd invent a 360 table top clamp specifically for little kid bikes to stop em from falling over when your building them without the training wheels on.

I'd make a chromoly peg-hubguard combo, that would be thick enough to grind on it's own but had a plastic sleeve that locked into place with setscrews, so you could throw sleeves on super quick. and could take the hubguard off with the peg.(kinda like gsport plegs)

(for myself: invent a way to make brakelever triggers custom fitted to the riders hands, for maximum comfort and access....

8-spline sprockets, to fix shitty chain alignment issues

i'd also make a completely adjustable bike, with locking hinges where the welds are, with adjustable bars in all directions of geometry, the idea is you play with it until it feels amazing. then measure, and then buy your parts based off the measurements. result is likely a bike that would be the best you ever rode(cuz ya played with it enough without changing parts.)

antimagnet tires/tubes or rims to push tacks and nails out of the way.

lighted LED bar ends(watch battery powered) and reflective stickers that are cool and would have each manufactures logos. (night time saftey with a headtube sticker)

GPS chipped fork bolt, and seat tube wedge

So- seat tube wedge would be a GPS that would activate by satellite, that you'd drop down into the seat tube, then tighten it up with an allen wrench, if your bike gets stolen, chances are they will never find that. then it'll send a message with ALL the info about your bike, and photos to the police, all vendors and pawn shops within 75 miles of your location, AND the bikes location. so not only will you know where your bike is, but so will anywhere they may try and sell it, your bike, or at least your frame, will never be stolen again. it could send you text updates about your bikes location (which you'd be able to set the name of, so say if my bike is at Powers bikeshop, the text would say- your bike is next to chad power's trailer" (or whatever you wanted it to say. this would be good for guys who are forced to leave their bikes out to the public and are paranoid about their bike.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
DK, Odyssey, Profile, Shadow.
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/21/2015 8:08 PM

also a fail proof, gyro tab drill/tap jig that would hold everything down for you, so all you would have to do is put it on, lock it down, and then apply a drill.

I feel like this is something park tools really should make............

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/21/2015 9:23 PM

Some custom grips that conform to your hand shape would be pretty sweet or some airless tires that come in different hardness that way you could get the same feel as your regular tires with whatever psi you run

|

7/21/2015 11:13 PM

A reliable internal shifting hub that could stand up to bmx would be neat, but that adds cables, weight, and maintenance. Something many people wouldn't want, and isn't quite so useful in bmx.

One already used Idea that should be used more, the hubaurds that replace other hardware, but I don't see a lot of it. I just think it should be used more

Bring back pedal grind plates because why not.

A modified version of v brakes that works for freestyle, because they have much better power, pull, and feel.

Tubeless. Mtb has been doing it for a while, and alienation's didn't catch on which sucks. Maybe if a more reputable brand tried it out it'd take off.

More internal cable routing.

|

7/22/2015 12:20 AM

If we are talking about inventions that might not even be possible..
I would make a hub that functions like a cassette(pedal pressure, no slack) but is silent and does not require you to pedal back. That would change the sport completely.

|

7/22/2015 12:41 AM

ITT: Why engineers don't like designers

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/22/2015 1:35 AM

Kool-Aid BMX wrote:

If we are talking about inventions that might not even be possible..
I would make a hub that functions like a cassette(pedal ...more

so like a z-coaster sorta thing

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

7/22/2015 2:12 AM

Triple compound semi slick tires.

Softest compound near the side of the tread for cornering.
Middle hardness compound in the middle tread area for more long lasting tires.
hardest compound on the side tread and side-walls for longevity when doing grind combos.

I also want to make a sort of portable recliner thing.
It folds up into your bag and you can set it up like an L.

You sit on the lower part of the L and lean on the vertical side of the L.

That way, you can lean and be comfy while sitting on ledges.

Patent Pending...

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

7/22/2015 11:02 AM

tripod seat post with third angle (less angled)

chromo full guard sprocket

JCPC bodies with molded plastic pins for use with shorter screws

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

7/22/2015 2:25 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

well....

I'd invent a 360 table top clamp specifically for little kid bikes to stop em from falling over when your building ...more

Put the training wheels on first? haha or do what I did, I put them into the stand with the Park Tool Seat Post thing.

They also have a similar thing in a chip you hide on/in the bike for gps. :D

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/22/2015 6:47 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

well....

I'd invent a 360 table top clamp specifically for little kid bikes to stop em from falling over when your building ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Put the training wheels on first? haha or do what I did, I put them into the stand with the Park Tool Seat Post thing.

They ...more

HAHA! I WOULD BUT WORK WONT LET ME GET THEM >.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/22/2015 7:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/22/2015 7:13 PM

Tubeless tires.

titanium bars (no more details, want to protect revolutionary idea)

Frame with internal cable routing, small disc brakes, with a carbon fiber,silicone-wrapped top tube. ( I said too much there).

A new crank design: even bigger diameter, yet just as light and strong. Cannot add more details.

carbon fiber pedals.

carbon fiber spokes.

pivotal seat post without a need for a clamp bolt, based on the principle of the wedge like on the odyssey aluminum bar ends.

If anyone wants to set up a bike co with my ideas, ring me up smile Ive already drafted a set of plans.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

7/22/2015 7:41 PM

Skylight wrote:

Tubeless tires.

Frame with internal cable routing, small ...more

Carbon fiber isn't resistant enough to being scraped and hit head on to withstand freestyle.

|

7/22/2015 7:43 PM

Skylight wrote:

Tubeless tires.

Most of these things already exist though... tubeless tires have been around for awhile, titanium bars existed or still do exist (Eastern made them), and a pivotal seat post without need for a clamp has existed for years, I think Animal was the first to come out with them. They're called wedge posts, I actually made one myself out of an old stem quill and quick work with a hacksaw

|

7/22/2015 7:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/22/2015 7:49 PM

Skylight wrote:

Tubeless tires.

biggybuggy wrote:

Carbon fiber isn't resistant enough to being scraped and hit head on to withstand freestyle.

Aha!

You're talking about regular carbon fiber, as in sheets of UD 3K prepeg.

I am not.

smile

Tha'ts the difference, love.

|

7/22/2015 7:46 PM

Skylight wrote:

Tubeless tires.

biggybuggy wrote:

Skylight wrote:

Aha!

I am not.

smile

ill start a company with you ;P but only if we get to be lazy and sit on a beach in white suits drinking pinacollta's

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/22/2015 7:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/22/2015 7:50 PM

The airless tire hasn't been made yet

|

7/22/2015 7:59 PM

Skylight wrote:

Tubeless tires.

biggybuggy wrote:

Skylight wrote:

Aha!

I am not.

smile

So what kind of carbon fiber then? Any type if material like it where you lay down a fiber and resin will get destroyed if say I bail, and the toptube hits something, or I get grind damage. They're fibers. You break the resin, and the.fibers are torn/destroyed if hit/scraped by something like concrete.

|

7/22/2015 8:19 PM

how about some goddamn industry wide standards on the following:
-effective spindle length after crank arms have been installed
-bb width if not already existing
-distance from bb to center of sprocket
-distance from center of hub to center of driver

THEN WE CAN GET ABSOLUTELY PERFECT CHAIN ALIGNMENT!!!!11!!

plastic pegs with anti spin pins

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/22/2015 8:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/22/2015 10:05 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Skylight wrote:

Aha!

I am not.

smile

biggybuggy wrote:

So what kind of carbon fiber then? Any type if material like it where you lay down a fiber and resin will get destroyed if say ...more

Heheh I am enjoying dis!

Carbon fiber has one of the highest, if not the highest tensile strength (I hope everyone is familiar with that term).

Lamitate also has a very good strength to weight ratio. It's like fibers in a tree.

The UK had one of the best ships around about more than a century ago. They could endure a lot of damage in war, and still sail on. Their masts were made of full fir trees, whereas the French had bonded-together masts.

Before moving on, note that we are more in a dirt jumping frame of mind than extreme, aggressive, brutal, hardcore street.

Now, the typical carbon fiber construction is like those french masts: they are small sheets that are glued together. The problem in carbon fiber is delimitation that can occur in impacts, when those small sheets separate in small places, usually at the edges where there are no fibers, just epoxy.

Don't forget, I am also a flyer. Imagine. You are going at 150 km/h, in an aircraft at 385 kgs, with two adults, and fuel. When you want to turn in a radius of, say, 20 meters, you exerce a tremendous amount of strain. Think of it. 120 kgs for the adults. Plus 385. Plus 40 (fuel). That's 545 kilos at 150 km/h in a bank angle of 45 degrees at probably 2 or 3 Gs!

And sailplanes, too. A spar is the structure that holds up an aircraft's wing: it bears all of it's stresses. In a sailplane of a huge wingspan, with two adults, a water ballast, and speeds of 200 km/h doing aerobatics (in this case loops), the stresses are the same, if not even more pronounced.

If aircraft spar material can hold up that shit, it can hold up to a kid on a kid's bike.

I sadly have to divulge the link here.
Intro:
http://www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/home-top/articles/83-graphlite-carbon-rod

Properties:
http://www.diversified-composites.com/rdtbshp.php?mid=6&aid=14

Graphlites, in a word, is a solid rod made of pulled carbon fiber strings. These strings under tension are pulled thru a die where the epoxy is injected, then moved directly into an oven (all of this in a straight line, or rather, all at the same time without stopping between each process). All those fibers running in the same direction and under tension provide the strength in a small package.

Now, I don't want to go for a full'on carbon frame...yet. I don't see top tubes being hit that much... Only down tubes can have more impacts.. But again, i don't ride street, so I might not be right. Fill in with top tube dent pics!

The first experiment would be to use this for spokes. This is the ideal use, as spokes are subjected to tensile stresses side loads (as a rod is round, it can deal with force anywhere).

The next step would be a CB seat tube, and pivotal seat post. Then graphite cranks, axles...

There.

'Nuff said.

|

7/22/2015 8:32 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

-effective spindle length after crank arms have been ...more

drill a hole in the peg, and then use a machine screw with a lock nut.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/22/2015 8:37 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

drilling holes through steel isn't something i can do without a mill with a custom fixture to keep it from moving
then i would have to buy a tap
and then i would have to repeat this process every single time i bought a new sleeve
its just not practical

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/22/2015 9:00 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Skylight wrote:

Aha!

I am not.

smile

dkTechEthan wrote:

ill start a company with you ;P but only if we get to be lazy and sit on a beach in white suits drinking pinacollta's

You're on !

XP

|

7/22/2015 9:09 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dkTechEthan wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

drilling holes through steel isn't something i can do without a mill with a custom fixture to keep it from moving
then i would ...more

cant ya drill it with a drill press? just make a wooden jig that you'd slide the peg down in, and fire the drill up, you'd only ever have to do it once to the cores, and then whenever you bought sleeves, it'd only be 2 or 3 holes, it'd probably go a lot faster than you think.

|

"The D.O.P.S. System"
check out my bike check
@ethanbrackett
@powersbikeshop

7/22/2015 9:24 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Stolen thermolites

|

7/22/2015 9:25 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

then i would ...more

dkTechEthan wrote:

cant ya drill it with a drill press? just make a wooden jig that you'd slide the peg down in, and fire the drill up, you'd ...more

I don't really think that a mill is necessary.

Just fit the peg to the bike, get a vice grip to snug up everything well, get a normal drill and get going...

|

7/22/2015 10:11 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

then i would ...more

dkTechEthan wrote:

cant ya drill it with a drill press? just make a wooden jig that you'd slide the peg down in, and fire the drill up, you'd ...more

Skylight wrote:

Just fit the peg to the bike, get a vice grip to snug up everything well, get ...more

you obviously have never tried to drill through hardened steel
holding a drill steady while doing so would be damn near impossible

|

7/22/2015 10:13 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

then i would ...more

dkTechEthan wrote:

it would be feasible if it were an aluminum core, and possibly might work with a drill press, but a manual mill is so much more controllable and precise

|

7/22/2015 10:23 PM

dkTechEthan wrote:

Skylight wrote:

Just fit the peg to the bike, get a vice grip to snug up everything well, get ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

you obviously have never tried to drill through hardened steel
holding a drill steady while doing so would be damn near ...more

Nope.

But I have seen my father do it. It was a succession of 1 cm thick steel plates, had to make 50 holes (plates for the mezzanine in my room). Extremely hard, but not impossible.

I guess drilling thru the side of a cylinder makes it even more difficult, and hardened steel at that!

What about a rolling peg? Get a pedal axle, find a way to bolt it to the hubs, make a thick, soft rubber shell to use..

I know that spinning pegs have already been invented, but why didn't they catch?

|