Investment Cast or Welded? & Different types of chromoly?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/8/2013 4:46 PM

Which is stronger? I could honestly care less about the weight/look aspects of either one. I just notice a lot of parts are coming without welds now, including a particular frame I'm interested in.

ALSO- what's the difference between such things as 4130 crmo, 4130 sanko crmo, and Japanese crmo? Which would be stronger?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/8/2013 4:56 PM

Sanko is a brand. 4130 is 4130 no matter where it comes from. You're basically asking: which is stronger 6061 or 6061 from Japan? Some brands might not want to put the brand if they don't feel like it. The numbers are the grades or "family" of the metal.
41xx steel - wikipedia

|

10/8/2013 5:08 PM

Fondue wrote:

Sanko is a brand. 4130 is 4130 no matter where it comes from. You're basically asking: which is stronger 6061 or 6061 from Japan? Some brands might not want to put the brand if they don't feel like it. The numbers are the grades or "family" of the metal.
41xx steel - wikipedia

The WTP frames are made out of "Japanese Chromoly" didn't know if that made it special or anything enough to say its japanese. Thanks man.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/8/2013 5:12 PM

Fondue wrote:

41xx steel - wikipedia

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The WTP frames are made out of "Japanese Chromoly" didn't know if that made it special or anything enough to say its japanese. Thanks man.

naw its the same.
and for the investment dropouts, they look like they would be stronger than welded dropouts due to they are actualy put up into the fork leg and not just welded on the end of it

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

10/8/2013 6:03 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard sanko chromoly is weaker? I heard it's still strong, but dents easier?

|

10/8/2013 6:15 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard sanko chromoly is weaker? I heard it's still strong, but dents easier?

If it is 4130, then it has the same tensile and yield strengths. Quite honestly though, I don't know what makes a tube dent easier unless it's not hardened in some way. In other words, if the Sanko tubes haven't been heat-treated, they're more likely to dent and heat-treated will be less likely to dent, but dent regardless.

|

10/8/2013 6:46 PM

What Fondue said. As far as strength of the 4130 tubing is concerned, if two tubes are identical as far as DOM seamless tubing of the same thickness but one is made here and the other in Japan by Sanko, they are the same strength. Where the big changes occur is how they are handled during the manufacturing process. As tubes are welded, they are heated and cooled, which changes the strength of the tubing in these areas. When frame manufacturers post weld heat treat their parts, it means they even up all the different areas to the same hardness. This process then leaves microscopic fissures all over the part, so it is then shot peened to close all the fissures. The result is a frame that accepts the shock load much more evenly than a frame that was not heat treated after welding. Also, as Fondue said, if two tubes have the same wall thickness and only one has been heat treated, the non treated one should dent easier. (Other things come into play, such as acceptable manufacturing variances, and things like that)

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.