Irrelevant but something I found interesting...

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2018 4:44 PM

Has anyone ever thought of a belt drive BMX drivetrain? I just saw a cruiser with a belt drive and thought “hmm would that work on a BMX??” I know this is a dumb question, but if you wouldn’t mind, share your insight and if you would think that this would be a good/bad idea

|

9/25/2018 5:31 PM

I believe it was tried on race bikes, but don't think it would be practical for freestyle

|

It’s all bmx

9/25/2018 5:56 PM

It would just be worse. Chains already stretch and break as it is.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

9/26/2018 6:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2018 5:12 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

It would just be worse. Chains already stretch and break as it is.

I don't know.... belts (at least in the motorcycle world) are stronger than chains. I could see a belt being viable. A possible issue could be spacing for the width of a belt and the fact that you'd need a split in the chain stay or seat stay for installation in that a belt wouldn't be readily adaptable to current frames (much like 2.4+ tires didn't fit well into older frames). So, it would take a substantial gamble to introduce as nobody with a frame NOT designed for a belt could use it. You'd be hoping it caught on so that everyone (customers and other manufacturers) would follow suit. I think you'd really have to come up with valid reasons why a belt would be so much better than a chain & I just don't know that there are any real advantages other than less wear & tear on parts.

|

9/26/2018 6:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2018 6:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I don't know.... belts (at least in the motorcycle world) are stronger than chains. I could see a belt being viable. A ...more

Yes, belts are stronger but the torque delivery is MUCH better with a chain drive. And it’s a lot cheaper to replace a chain than a belt. Not saying that it would be the same in the BMX world, but it’s much cheaper to mass produce chains than specific length rubber belts. Plus, like you said, getting belt drive to fit into the frame would be pretty specific. All in all, don’t fix what ain’t broke in my opinion.

|

9/26/2018 6:27 AM

Shaft drive laughing

|

9/26/2018 6:29 AM

The simplicity of bmx is beautiful. We all work on our own bikes, and it's easy. Belt drive is just another over complicated idea that doesn't have an issue to cure. Just like tubeless tyres, hydraulic brakes etc. It's not the sort of thing you'd be able to do a quick fix with an allen key, so it's pretty redundant.

|

9/26/2018 6:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2018 6:32 AM

dead goon wrote:

Shaft drive laughing

Cermanicspeed just released a shaft drive drivetrain for road bikes which is super crazy looking... Not saying it is a good idea for BMX.

Personally I want a belt driven single speed MTB on day just cause they are so quite and even less maintenance then a chain. But you have to have a frame with a split in the chainstay in order to change the belt which seem like it would be a terrible idea for BMX.

|

9/26/2018 6:41 AM

dead goon wrote:

Shaft drive laughing

Front wheel drivelaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/26/2018 6:47 AM

Viola

She uses a belt and claims its quieter, stronger, smoother and less maintenance. I would imagine besides durability (chain hitting concrete/wood/metal/brick, etc) it's probably a pretty cool idea and feeling. I'm always down to try new stuff.

Oh, also she's hot as hell.
|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/26/2018 6:50 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote: Viola

She uses a belt and claims its quieter, stronger, smoother and less maintenance. I would imagine besides durability ...more

Yeah but....

|

9/26/2018 6:53 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah but....

I think you mean "Yeah! BUTT!"

|

9/26/2018 6:57 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I think you mean "Yeah! BUTT!"

Lmao that got melaughing

But I mean i dont think the riding she's doing puts as much stress on drive chains like we do...

|

9/26/2018 7:00 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Lmao that got melaughing

But I mean i dont think the riding she's doing puts as much stress on drive chains like we do...

True, but stranger things have happened. I feel like Madera or Profile would eventually come up with something silly like this.

Mostly I just like to watch Viola ride and wish I was her seat.

|

9/26/2018 7:16 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

True, but stranger things have happened. I feel like Madera or Profile would eventually come up with something silly like ...more

I'd even settle for being the handlebars

|

9/26/2018 8:22 AM

Rabbe wrote:

I'd even settle for being the handlebars

Shit I'd settle for the Axle nut.

|

9/27/2018 4:20 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

Shit I'd settle for the Axle nut.

"nut"

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/27/2018 4:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2018 4:33 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

"nut"

Fucking deadlaughing laughing laughing

|

9/27/2018 4:36 AM

I feel like this was a very constructive chat, thanks guys

|

9/27/2018 4:58 AM

What about the loose chain gang? Could they still do their crank flips? That's the important question here.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/27/2018 3:40 PM

they should make a chain that you can stretch so if you need a new one you don't have to take apart the old chain, like a flexible chain does this even make sense?

|

9/27/2018 3:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2018 4:06 PM

Orlando F wrote:

they should make a chain that you can stretch so if you need a new one you don't have to take apart the old chain, like a ...more

Chains already "stretch"... How do you suppose something like that would work? How would it index to the teeth? What would stop it from stretching when you didn't want it to? Can you imagine the efficiency losses of something that is literally designed to stretch elastically, not to mention the potential for slippage?

You're making breaking a chain sound like some terrible ordeal; it's not.

Also, how do you suppose you'd get that stretchable chain on or off? It would still have to break in order to come off or go onto the frame...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/27/2018 4:40 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Chains already "stretch"... How do you suppose something like that would work? How would it index to the teeth? What would ...more

Yea looks like Belt Drive setups need a Frame with a breakable Chainstay-which is like a hinge for the chainstay. . .weird.

|

9/27/2018 6:39 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

Yea looks like Belt Drive setups need a Frame with a breakable Chainstay-which is like a hinge for the chainstay. . .weird.

I wasn't actually talking about belt drive; more the "stretchable chain" idea above but I'd apply a few points I made to belt drive.

If the frame has to disassemble in order to put a belt on, you're introducing a massive weak point.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/27/2018 6:42 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

I believe it was tried on race bikes, but don't think it would be practical for freestyle

Yep, seen it in person myself. I think it could be something different, but unnecessary IMO.

|

Always movin'

9/27/2018 6:56 PM

I know this may seem a bit redundant, but what about a single link point in the belt or possibly connecting 2 points of a belt that is just a segment with rubber cement?

|

9/28/2018 5:38 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

I know this may seem a bit redundant, but what about a single link point in the belt or possibly connecting 2 points of a belt ...more

I wouldn't trust a joint made with any kind of glue tbh, too many variables

|

9/28/2018 6:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2018 6:08 AM

Guyman22 wrote:

I know this may seem a bit redundant, but what about a single link point in the belt or possibly connecting 2 points of a belt ...more

Im usually open to ideas, but what if we just dropped the idea of a belt drive system lol

I see no benefit to it tbh...

|

9/28/2018 6:04 AM

Orlando F wrote:

they should make a chain that you can stretch so if you need a new one you don't have to take apart the old chain, like a ...more

If you want a stretchy chain, just get a half link chain ?

|

9/28/2018 6:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2018 6:07 AM

From what I understand of belt drive MTBs, the belts last longer then chains, are very quite and require less maintenance but you normally have to a breakable chain stay. They are limited to use on gearbox, shiftable hubs or single speed. To be honest, I don't see any need for them in BMX.

There is this conversion kit which uses pins in the belt. https://www.veercycle.com/products/synchronous-belt-conversion-kit-for-multi-speed-bike-frames

|