Is 34 Pounds A Lot For A Freestyle BMX Bike

Related:
Create New Tag

3/18/2015 1:36 PM

I have a 2009 redline 3.1 and when i try to do a manual, i just can't so i don't know if its me or the bike. Just saying i have done a manual once, so dont automatically think i suck

|

3/18/2015 1:39 PM

Its great for learning. get some muscle.
once you get used to the feels of manuals and bunny hops, then a lighter bike should be good.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

3/18/2015 1:44 PM

cro tec wrote:

once you get used to the feels of manuals and bunny hops, then a lighter bike should ...more

I have had this bike since it came out so you think i should either replace parts or get a new one?

|

3/18/2015 1:49 PM

No 35lbs is ok

|

It’s all bmx

3/18/2015 2:16 PM

35 is heavy. There are worse things than having a heavy bike but i would get a more modern bike.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

3/18/2015 2:36 PM

cro tec wrote:

once you get used to the feels of manuals and bunny hops, then a lighter bike should ...more

DR1Ft wrote:

I have had this bike since it came out so you think i should either replace parts or get a new one?

maybe if you've replaced most of your parts already, you should buy a new/ different frame.
but if its stock.... get a newbike laughing

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

3/18/2015 2:52 PM

Considering todays standar yes it is heavy. But the rider make the difference not the bike

|

3/18/2015 3:02 PM

34lbs is heavy for today's standards, but not necessarily heavy for some people and definitely not heavy considering what some bikes used to be.

I think manualing is more finding a balance point than it is the weight of your bike, so just keep practicing and they'll come to you. Remember to LOCK your elbows, never pump with them. Only time I ever unlock my elbows is when I'm about to drop the manual and need to pull it back up quickly. Other than that you should only be pumping with your legs/hip area.

|

3/18/2015 4:54 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

34lbs is heavy for today's standards, but not necessarily heavy for some people and definitely not heavy considering what some ...more

lol the only thing you need to think about is keeping your arms straight and your knees bent.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

3/18/2015 6:45 PM

I could manual the 40 lb bike i had forever ago. It was uncomfortable and difficult with the 7.5 bars and 14 inch rear end, but not impossible and it took a hell of a lot more to loop out ever or even drop it. Once you got stuck, you were in there, but slow stuff, not so much.

But 34lbs is too much, i know what one you're talking about, i remember as a kid a friend had that bike. Definitely look into buying a new one too. It'd save you some back aches and lighter bikes are easier to learn on after the heavy ones.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/18/2015 7:11 PM

cro tec wrote:

lol the only thing you need to think about is keeping your arms straight and your knees bent.

...And pumping with your legs/hips, as if you're humping the air, to keep your balance.

Anyone I see manualing by only keeping their arms straight and knees bent and never pumping, can't do them very far, if at all. Not dramatic pumps, but small movements to keep the manual going.

|

3/18/2015 7:23 PM

Manuals : ride at a comfortable speed, lock your arms straight, bend your knees halfway and push your BUTT as far back as you comfortably can. (If your BUTT is hanging over your back wheel and your knees are bent while trying to manual then you are doing the right stance. Basically pretend you wantt the tire to wipe your butt while in this position.) while riding in this position, lift up the front tire with a little force and balance it all out! If you lift the bars too high you may fall off so be careful and learn to jump off the bike without getting hurt if this does happen. Good luck!!!

Recap

Ride at comfortable speed,
lock arms straight,
bend knees/ass out over back tire,
lift up front wheel, ride out the manny.
Repeat millions of times until you get it. It takes a few months so don't be discouraged. Good luck!!!

|

3/18/2015 7:28 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

34lbs is heavy for today's standards, but not necessarily heavy for some people and definitely not heavy considering what some ...more

cro tec wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

...And pumping with your legs/hips, as if you're humping the air, to keep your balance.

Anyone I see manualing by only ...more

Yes, as weird as it sounds humping the air will make your manuals last longer, it'll allow you to keep the balance of the manual going follow our steps and you shall become the manny king, drift.

|

3/18/2015 9:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2015 9:58 PM

34 is great for learning you have to build more muscle to get it done .....I would
Suggest keep it and buy taller bars

|

3/19/2015 6:13 AM

cro tec wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Anyone I see manualing by only ...more

solarsoundwave87 wrote:

Yes, as weird as it sounds humping the air will make your manuals last longer, it'll allow you to keep the balance of the ...more

yea, but its harder if you think about it pinch

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

3/19/2015 9:33 AM

meh. weight dont matter much.

plus as you get lighter stuff youll pick things up easier because youre used to the bit more weight

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

3/19/2015 1:37 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

35 is heavy. There are worse things than having a heavy bike but i would get a more modern bike.

I am 13 right now and its hard for me to pick up a 30 pound bike so if you have recomendations on a bike or parts, that would be great

|

3/19/2015 3:34 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

DR1Ft wrote:

I am 13 right now and its hard for me to pick up a 30 pound bike so if you have recomendations on a bike or parts, that would ...more

Push ups and weight lifting.

Honestly don't just run out for parts because some kids online say it is heavy. If you are just learning, it is fine, just go ride and do some light weight lifting/exercise here and there. You will build muscle in time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/20/2015 3:23 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

DR1Ft wrote:

I am 13 right now and its hard for me to pick up a 30 pound bike so if you have recomendations on a bike or parts, that would ...more

well, chase hawk tires for one
and maybe a top-load stem. like a Sunday freeze
new grips-- try the Dugan grips
and plastic pedals -- Odyssey PC pedals are gr8
and bigger bars. I cant recommend any specific bars :/

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

3/20/2015 6:17 AM

34 pounds is heavy for me, im small hahah my bike I around 24lb and when I bought it it was 26ish I think, I probably couldn't do much on your bike but if your strong then its all good

|

3/20/2015 6:58 AM

Honestly given when I started riding, kids saying 26 lbs is heavy makes me smile. My first BMX was 45 lbs without pegs or brakes. Back then I could still hop that beast bar height.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/20/2015 11:55 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Honestly given when I started riding, kids saying 26 lbs is heavy makes me smile. My first BMX was 45 lbs without pegs or ...more

awesome lol my first bike was really heavy too, and it definitely helped me learning on that bike. When I got my new bike I was doing every thing i learned on my old heavy bike but got I much better results and my tricks were way easier to do.

Just relax and have patience though Drift, and keep practicing on your current bike until you get money for a newer lighter bike.

Keep practicing tricks over and over and over and over again and eventually you will learn it on your heavy bike. Keep in mind that learning bmx is not something that happens over night, and it can take months just to learn ONE trick sometimes... Practice makes perfect. And like I said, once you finally get a new bike you will be able to kick ass on it.

If you stop practicing because your bike is "too heavy" and wait for a new bike then it sounds like you may not be ready to COMMIT to learning bmx, and that is the type of attitude that makes people give up man. Don't be a quitter! lol

Also don't be too hard on yourself too man, learning tricks takes time. Took me a year to learn how to manual but now I can hold them out for longer than I ever thought I could.

lift weights if you can dude to get some extra strength, plus all the ladies will dig it.

|

3/21/2015 9:34 AM

learn to do basic tricks on that thing. when you can 180.... or close to it, ride fakie, do decent hops, manny, wheelie, whatever then invest in a new bike. i had a friend who had a 2009 db joker and he ripped on it buttt when i let him ride my bike he was better than me. it'll pay off to learn on that because when you get your shiny new bike it'll be like a feather in comparison. just start saving, it's probably a bit too outdated to switch shit out on

|

3/21/2015 9:54 AM

put 4 bell pegs on it too.

|

please embed videos

My art c:

[b]

3/21/2015 10:22 AM

lol @ learning tricks can take months...whips took me like six years. Then I got around 50 to the pedals and lost em when my back said nope really loudly about 4 years ago.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/21/2015 10:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

lol @ learning tricks can take months...whips took me like six years. Then I got around 50 to the pedals and lost em when my ...more

Whips took me forever too, years to just get over frame, then another year to almost be landing them. Only took less than a month to land when I figured out what I was doing wrong though. Landed a bunch, never got real dialed with them, then just this past December my ankle said nope and I fucked up the whip and fucked up my ankle even more, only just now starting to be more than 80% healed.

What'd you do to your back though if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious cause I've been dealing with lower back issues myself and am always looking for new ways to help it, the more specific to bmx riding, the better

|