Is Hi-Tensile steel bad for beginners?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2012 8:08 PM

Im a beginner, and wanted to buy the verde cadet complete. The frame is made of hi-tensile steel, and I heard that was very bad material. Im hitting tiny jumps, and the best trick I can do is manual for about 30 feet. Im not going to be jumping like 6 stairs, going to parks (maybe every once in a while, im no where near one) just riding mostly street. I just wanted a bike to get started on without paying tons of money for full cromo. As I improve I will upgrade parts until I eventually get a better bike.

|

8/31/2012 8:12 PM

My buddy got one at the start of this year I think and its held up fine. He blew out his tires, otherwise it's been fine.

|

Lol. Xzibit plz
Shakesman69: Seeing a girl on a bike is like seeing a unicorn walking down the main street.
Brokenbmx: i pooped butterflies once.

Bought from: Ridebmx456 TCbmx(x2) Wade., Ticaleb
Sold to: Sprocket: Mike - E, Front Hub: Kroller, Back wheel: imgoingtohavetocuthere
Local deal for a rear wheel with: bmx

8/31/2012 8:17 PM

you should be fine for a while, by the time it does actually break though you will probably need a upgrade anyways and be a lot better.

|

8/31/2012 8:26 PM

Street is generally harder on bikes than park, bikes dont like drops to flat.

Depends on how fast you progress, also what company I believe, in an FBM movie steve crandall talks about it, saying FBM makes there Hi ten bikes just as strong as chromo, they just weigh a little more.

|

8/31/2012 8:27 PM

i got a hi tensile complete when i was a complete beginner. i broke it in a little over year

|

8/31/2012 8:32 PM

i got a united recruit rn2 in january. it was my first real bike, and i couldn't hop more than an inch until i got it.
it's high tensile steel, and so far, i've replaced almost everything. the frame cracked, but if you can find a professional, you can get it welded. the forks bent, but it's mostly what you do, and how you use it.
i'd definitely get the high tensile steel bike, but make sure you put some money aside to buy parts as they break. don't expect it to last forever if you plan on riding daily.

|

8/31/2012 8:35 PM

bmXandMetal wrote:

i got a hi tensile complete when i was a complete beginner. i broke it in a little over year

not bad, i'd probably get a new one in a little over a year anyways.

@supreme
im not a very fast progresser, getting a decent long manual took me about a month of hard work. On my old gt bike (like 32lbs, not meant for tricks) i've been working on a higher bunny hop which is difficult with the gt, and fakie's (or what I think is a fakie...) its been about 2 1/2 months now.

|

8/31/2012 8:36 PM

If you got a fit there warranty covers the bike for a little while. My friend had a fit vh1 and cracked the frame and they sent him a wifi.

|

8/31/2012 8:41 PM

I started on a 100% high tensile bike not knowing how to bunnyhop. The frame lasted me a year.

|

8/31/2012 8:44 PM

AfroSlice wrote:

not bad, i'd probably get a new one in a little over a year anyways.

@supreme
im not a very fast progresser, getting a decent long manual took me about a month of hard work. On my old gt bike (like 32lbs, not meant for tricks) i've been working on a higher bunny hop which is difficult with the gt, and fakie's (or what I think is a fakie...) its been about 2 1/2 months now.

It can take awhile to learn to manual, thinks that require balance often do, you spend a month going off sets you'd be suprised how quick you can get to the 4-5 range.

IDK, man its really about the money and how soon you wanna get started, but you can get Kinks and Amber's full 4130 frame fork cranks and bars for a little over $400

|

8/31/2012 8:49 PM

Wow, after reading this thread I'm stoked on how well my stock DK frame has held up!

|

Lol. Xzibit plz
Shakesman69: Seeing a girl on a bike is like seeing a unicorn walking down the main street.

Sold to: Sprocket: Mike - E, Front Hub: Kroller, Back wheel: imgoingtohavetocuthere

8/31/2012 10:04 PM

My friend is running a 2010 Stolen Stereo frame. He blew out everything else, amazingly. ._. He bent the forks to hell, blew out the headset like 3 times, blew out both stock rims, cracked the pedals, stripped the seat clamp, bent the dropout.. It's been put through hell, and he also throws it here and there, so yes, high-tensile steel is definately okay in my opinion. smile

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

8/31/2012 10:07 PM

Photo
|

Latest Bike Check/Update

8/31/2012 11:55 PM

Hi-Tensile is ok for a beginner, but I wouldn't recommend the verde. A mate of mine has one, the frame is tiny, the seat is the worst I've ever sat on, it's got a standard headset, everything is unsealed and he bent the bars on it even though he cant hop and he definitely wouldn't of thrown because the main reason he can't hob is because he to scared in case he hurts himself or his bike.

|

9/1/2012 8:11 AM

Yeah they're okay. I wouldn't hop 20 stairs with one but to learn hops,180s and shit like that they're good.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/1/2012 10:40 AM

My mirraco gargoyle cracked in 2 places when i was learning hop 3's it was probably time to upgrade anyway. damn i miss those days

|

I ride a: Cult
why do I ride?:peer pressure

9/1/2012 11:13 AM

I have a 2010 haro x1 frame ( hi tensile), i beat the hell out of it and the frames fine I just upgraded everything I broke. Now its got an amber rear wheel, amber achnid sprocket, amber lexicon fork, mekanik sti headset, faf tires..... But I needed a bigger frame so I went with a black amber resik and i love it

|

9/1/2012 11:15 AM

GET AN AMBER PHERO WHILE ITS ON SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST DEAL EVER, ONLY 299.99. DAMNIT WHY DIDN'T I GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!

|

9/1/2012 12:08 PM

Four wrote:

Yeah they're okay. I wouldn't hop 20 stairs with one but to learn hops,180s and shit like that they're good.

I don't know if I'd hop 20 stairs on any bike...

|

"if you feel yourself falling backwards, thrust forward like you would if you were indeed fucking your bike, and if youre falling forwards, push your legs while leaning back, like if you were pulling out from fucking your bike But dont, under any circumstances, actually fuck your bike" - EddiMundo

9/1/2012 12:59 PM

Garett_Kanters wrote:

My mirraco gargoyle cracked in 2 places when i was learning hop 3's it was probably time to upgrade anyway. damn i miss those days

haha i bent my forks trying to learn flat 3s. 2 weeks later the frame cracked.

|

9/1/2012 7:25 PM

Oh and my friends was the 2012 Cadet.

|

Lol. Xzibit plz

9/1/2012 9:15 PM

Photo
Found this image on here. Not to metion these forks came off of a 2010 Stolen Sinner and were CHROMOLY.
|

Latest Bike Check/Update

9/1/2012 11:39 PM

I'm surprised they haven't come out with PC forks for the weight whores. LOL they will just bend right back to normal like the old Skyway mags. wink

|

9/1/2012 11:48 PM

I broke my first frame after 2 1/2 years. but it wasn't all steel though, it had a cromo downtube

|

REPS
JakeSalbert, Stephan.yupthatsme, bmxrider4lyfe, cb4130, mactive818, Broughton, Dream, Kymike (x2), Sam.cooper1291, louie101202, nshs2010, hatebreeder, justin vogelsberger, Xlilkillaluc15x, Four, Blakebmx92, Brian_Griffin, Element4all, HardBMX_Tim, HondaCRFRacer

7/11/2016 3:06 PM

brianoob wrote:

I started on a 100% high tensile bike not knowing how to bunnyhop. The frame lasted me a year.

I have a bmx hi ten steel and did not break it older than 10 years lol and it was kinda fake too now i ordered a new one and its freaking hi ten too..

|

7/11/2016 7:53 PM

It's not bad for beginners JUST starting, but save to upgrade as you go.

Chromoly is where it's at.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/12/2016 6:30 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

It's not bad for beginners JUST starting, but save to upgrade as you go.

Chromoly is where it's at.

THIS 100 percent

Its a really good idea to get the warranty stuff taken care of even before you start riding, in case anything breaks later on. If youre nice enough some companies will hook you up with something even better.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

7/12/2016 1:33 PM

Pretty much any bike made with hi tensile parts will have a very limited warranty. Even cheaper chromoly parts. As soon as you use it for "tricks and stunts" all warranty is void. This includes all mongoose, diamondback etc. And probably even some more reputable brands too.

As for ordering a new frame and it's hi tensile. Really? I can't think of a single after market frame that's hi ten. Surely that would be the first thing you'd think about when getting a new frame?

|

7/15/2016 6:04 PM

i rode my first ''big bike'', a hi-ten mongoose for almost 10 years doing all kinds of jumps and drops and sketchy things kids do on the streets and nothing broke the whole ten years other than my back axle once in the last moments of riding it.

My experience with hi-ten as a beginner was good, though if i knew what i knew now i would of begged my parents for a chromoly bike

|

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start, to be great...

7/15/2016 11:54 PM

A friend of mine ripped the headtube off a 2 week old mongoose menace in 96 or so from hooking up on a jump. I'd never trust it, as they're not designed to be ridden hard.
It will vary massively though. His could have had a shoddy weld or something. But it's put me off for life.

|