Is This A Good Filming Setup?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/15/2017 4:57 AM

So since I've gotten into riding I've always been the camera guy, up to this point with a phone but now that my friends and I are taking it a bit more serious I wanna get a nice camera to film with, Based off the no camera experience I have then I just tried to pick something out I thought would work.
I picked out a Canon T6i Rebel DSLR and a Rokinon FE8M-C 8mm lens for follow camera, since I already have a decent static camera. If you have any suggestions for cameras under like 1K let me know, I'll take all the advice I can get.

|

12/15/2017 5:42 AM

My first was a VX2100. Incredibly simple to use and learn with. A good fisheye is also really cheap for them. Imo, best learners camera for bmx/skating.

I've since upgraded to an HVX200A, because I love the DVX style cameras and wanted to begin filming in HD. The HVX is a little more complicated than the VX, but definitely an easy learn after using the VX for so long. Opteka lenses are reasonably priced for them, but you can also get the Century Optics lens for around $4,000 I believe, which seems to be really popular in BMX filming. I'd say probably 50% of the BMX Videos you watch were filmed on an HVX.

The next upgrade from here is the DVX200, which is essentially the same camera again but it films in 4k and is a lot smaller/lighter than the HVX.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/15/2017 5:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2017 6:09 AM

bdh425 wrote:

So since I've gotten into riding I've always been the camera guy, up to this point with a phone but now that my friends and I ...more

I've just got this camera too (it's called a eos 750d over here though). A cheaper version was recommended by a friend who is very much into film making. But mine came up on offer with 2 free lenses. I got a cheap (but well made) fisheye off ebay for £130, it's a jintu 8mm very similar to the samyang one. I haven't had a chance to properly film with it yet. But hopefully I will soon. I also got a carry handle off ebay for about £7.50. From what I've seen, heard, and noticed while playing around with it, it's pretty damn awesome.
It doesn't have the classic grainy picture of a vx, which in a way is a bit of a shame. But the video quality is awesome. I believe it's one of the most popular dslr's for bmx filming/photography, and is a good cheaper alternative to going all out on a camera specifically for filming.

Edit just to add. I got the camera (with 2 lenses), a memory card, fisheye lens, carry handle, tripod, and a bag for less than £1000. I'm a noob when it comes to camera's and filming, but it's a decent set up for the money. Shop around for deals. There's a site called Tobydeals.com (iirc) that has just the body pretty cheap. And they have the samyang fisheyes. The tripod I got isn't the best, probably kind of mid range, and does the job. And the bag means I can keep all this stuff together (and some tools) without having to worry about anything getting damaged in my normal rucksack.

|

12/15/2017 6:54 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My first was a VX2100. Incredibly simple to use and learn with. A good fisheye is also really cheap for them. Imo, best ...more

I want an HVX and an Opteka Xtreme lens but don't have the time or money to drop 6k on a dream setup for now, I'd love to get a VX but don't have the setup for tape transfer and dont wanna risk the glitches

|

12/15/2017 6:55 AM

bdh425 wrote:

So since I've gotten into riding I've always been the camera guy, up to this point with a phone but now that my friends and I ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I've just got this camera too (it's called a eos 750d over here though). A cheaper version was recommended by a friend who is ...more

I'm definitely looking for more of an HD look, I like VX filming but personally wanna film in HD, let me know how yours works I'm about to save up for my setup

|

12/15/2017 7:05 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

My first was a VX2100. Incredibly simple to use and learn with. A good fisheye is also really cheap for them. Imo, best ...more

bdh425 wrote:

I want an HVX and an Opteka Xtreme lens but don't have the time or money to drop 6k on a dream setup for now, I'd love to get ...more

A good HVX set up might barely break your budget. I would definitely recommend not getting anything different, based off what you said you're looking for in your last comment.

I paid $500 on eBay for my HVX bone stock with not even a battery. Spent $200 on the Opteka Titanium .4x Fisheye on Amazon, about $100 for a 32gb P2 card (reusable 32mins of full HD footage), $100 on a few batteries and cleaning supplies, etc. $50 on a decent camera bag

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/15/2017 10:36 AM

Ive got a Sony HXR-NX5 with an Opteka 0.3x Fisheye that I use for skate filming. The only thing that would/may be an issue is the 3CMOS sensor as opposed to the 3CCD. So far the only issue Ive had with it is the sensor drop when the camera overheats. I also have a Century 0.4x fisheye (bayonet mount) but barely ever use that one since the 0.3 is much wider (although theres lots of vignetting problems). The Xtreme is pretty much unobtainium for me, $4000 plus you HAVE TO get the rail support for it or else the weight of it is gonna snap the glass right off, and even still that whole setup is so damn heavy that the camera handle has been known to break under stress (and in action sports filmers case its ALWAYS most likely attached to the camera and only removed somewhere that isnt so damn dusty so they can clean their equipment, and then reassemble again before the next days mission (hopefully with all batteries charged).

I also have a DSLR Canon 70D with a Nikon 60mm (metabones adapter) and a Tokina 10-17 fisheye, Rode Videopro and some Jason Hernandez ripoff handle.

|

12/17/2017 2:58 PM

I've been looming in to cameras myself ..ive stacked a couple dozen clips but they are all on my phone...they aren't too bad because I try to get good angles but I can't seem to have anyone film myself from a decent angle and tripod footage is not so great. I don't want to spend more than 500 USD until I know I want to film more so if anyone knows of a decent camera for that I would love to know

|

12/17/2017 3:35 PM

My first legit camera has been a vx2100 and an opteka fisheye. Got the vx for $300 and the fisheye for $130. I was worried about using tapes because of video transfer and glitching, but it hasn't been too bad. I did have some problems and lost a few clips but that was my fault. I highly recomend filming with a camcorder over a dslr. It just feels so much better and in most cases the camcorder are gonna have better sensors. I still film with my vx but i might go hd and get a panosonic hpx170 at some point in the future. You could try finding a good deal on an hmc150. That's basically an hpx170 but films on regular memory cards instead of p2. They usually run about 800-1100 used.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/18/2017 9:42 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

My first legit camera has been a vx2100 and an opteka fisheye. Got the vx for $300 and the fisheye for $130. I was worried ...more

how tough is it to render footage converted from a VX? my computer takes forever with most clips from my cheaper sony handy cam, I wanna get a VX but the risk of losing clips or buying a faulty one are what keeps me away from it to be honest

|