Is Woodward Worth It

Related:
Create New Tag

8/15/2018 1:03 AM

I've wanted to go to Woodward since 99. Almost did it but I fucked up in school and my mom deaded that. I still want to go. I figured I'd get the forum's take on it too.

Also, which camp would y'all go to? I'm picking the original. East.

My only issues are:

A) I'm old now. I don't know how the kids would deal with a 31 year old guy in a cabin with them.
2) I hate summer and hot weather.
Tres) I have anxiety.
Z) I have a girlfriend and a job and bills and an adult life.

Is It Worth It?

View Results

|

8/15/2018 1:11 AM

You can visit for a weekend in autumn (fall) or spring I think, it sounds like a better option for you.

|

Hmmm

8/15/2018 2:01 AM

Edman123 wrote:

You can visit for a weekend in autumn (fall) or spring I think, it sounds like a better option for you.

Problem is it's only half of the camp. I know west and east is only the indoors parts.

|

8/15/2018 2:47 AM

Only to tread where the main man (God rest his soul) himself has treaded. That’s what’d be worth it for me.

|

8/15/2018 3:46 AM

I'd say it depends what you have local. If you've got an indoor park fairly close, and a plaza you can ride, I personally don't think it's worth it. But if there's nothing local then it could be a nice break. Equally, you could go for a weekend away near any other decent park. Or book a few days off and go mid week when it'll be empty

|

8/15/2018 4:00 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'd say it depends what you have local. If you've got an indoor park fairly close, and a plaza you can ride, I personally don't think it's worth it. But if there's nothing local then it could be a nice break. Equally, you could go for a weekend away near any other decent park. Or book a few days off and go mid week when it'll be empty

We have ONE local park that is clearly made for skaters. It's not bad but it's outdoors under a bridge. Today was 103 degrees. Thats asking for a heatstroke. LOL.

I think they got parks 2 hours away but I know one is just a bowl. The other is outdoor as well and is basically the same as the local one.

The indoor parks closed down (Compound/Rampage & Buck Nuttys) years ago. So it's heat stroke central around here.

|

8/15/2018 4:30 AM

I figure, it's a once in a lifetime thing.... for most. & it's been a dream of yours. Why deny yourself that? SO many of us never had the ability to go (financially or otherwise) so, not that you are able, stop saying "I should" or "I wish I had...." & just do it... if only for a weekend, like others suggested as an alternative if you feel the "full-on" thing is too much, too soon. Better to do it now, while you are "young" (believe me, I would love to head there.... but I'm 50 & I have other priorities these days!). Don't wait until you are 50 & thinking you "should have" when you are young & capable.

|

8/15/2018 5:20 AM

Get the plane over to Malaga for a weekend instead, and hit up Ruben's park.

Although when I was a kid Woodward was a dream.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

8/15/2018 5:49 AM

Never been there but back in the day, the guys that did go, came back better. So, I'd say it's worth it.

|

8/15/2018 7:43 AM

Of course its worth it, but I'm 33 and have a dog, job, and girlfriend. You also can't just go to Woodward as a camper if you're over 18 I believe. I do think they have some programs for older riders, but I'd double check.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/15/2018 8:12 AM

Man, I've been contemplating this as well especially because everyone will be so much better than me; however, it is a dream of mine to go to Woodward one day and I won't let others being better than me stop me. Neither should you fuck what other people think plus you'll probably meet a ton of people.

|

8/15/2018 8:26 AM

Yeah you can’t be over 18 and be a camper. Gotta wait till the off season.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/15/2018 8:29 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

WiteMic wrote:

We have ONE local park that is clearly made for skaters. It's not bad but it's outdoors under a bridge. Today was 103 degrees. Thats asking for a heatstroke. LOL.

I think they got parks 2 hours away but I know one is just a bowl. The other is outdoor as well and is basically the same as the local one.

The indoor parks closed down (Compound/Rampage & Buck Nuttys) years ago. So it's heat stroke central around here.

In that case, do it! Or at least go on a cool trip somewhere. I can't imagine it being much cooler at Woodward than it is where you are though

|

8/15/2018 9:05 AM

Unless you're planning on going pro and getting noticed , or want to get into the industry , it probably isnt worth it ( like 1200$ - 1500$ a week ) . Depends how you spend money too , if you're not into clubbing or expensive clothes then its justified going

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/15/2018 10:40 AM

Maybe you could work there temporarily? Im sure they have other living quarters for the staff that rides.

|

8/15/2018 11:21 AM

I could have sworn I saw that they had adult only weeks occasionally. I may be going crazy though.

|

8/15/2018 1:31 PM

18- to be a camper.

However, if you know anyone that works at the camp, they can potentially put you on a VIP list to come shred for a day or two for free.

Also, you can ride there in the off-season for a daily fee but I dont believe they'll let you camp on the premises.

Alternatively, you can apply to work there as a camp instructor next summer, they will pay you to come work & camp there for a week. Just try to get your application in at the very beginning of the year. They seem to hire mostly on a first-come first-serve basis.

As for West vs. East, I have been told by my friends that have been to both that East is the big corporate location, so they are very anal about rules and regulations, where as West is much more laid-back and even has a bar on the premises (East doesn't allow alcohol whatsoever.)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/15/2018 9:36 PM

WiteMic wrote:

I've wanted to go to Woodward since 99. Almost did it but I fucked up in school and my mom deaded that. I still want to go. I figured I'd get the forum's take on it too.

Also, which camp would y'all go to? I'm picking the original. East.

My only issues are:

A) I'm old now. I don't know how the kids would deal with a 31 year old guy in a cabin with them.
2) I hate summer and hot weather.
Tres) I have anxiety.
Z) I have a girlfriend and a job and bills and an adult life.

You’re asking if going to the mecca of bmx is worth it.
As long as you aren’t going for part of the camp, it’s worth it.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/15/2018 10:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/15/2018 10:33 PM

I’d rather spend Woodward money to go to joyride 150 or b line skatepark or some big indoor park with foam pits and resis for a week get a hotel and go out to bars and party and check out the city after the sessions then get stuck in a dry camp with no city to explore

|

8/16/2018 4:29 AM

Woodward has an adults week. This year, it starts this Sunday, August 19th: Week 12 and is $1,299.00. Keep your eye out for when the next seasons schedule is released and register for the website. It has the option for an Adult Camper. When you do that, it only shows you the options for your age range and it's typically only the one week.
I looked into this a few months ago, as it was my dream back in the late 90's as well! I'm now 32 and TRYING to save up some cash for next year.

Also, those weekend getaways sound like a cool idea, but it's limited.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

8/16/2018 12:00 PM

Skip Woodward and just get a hotel room in Tampa for 4-5 days. Just make sure that you are covered for Wed and Sunday so that you can ride SPOT on those days and then on the other days, you can ride some awesome concrete skate parks all within an hour. There are probably at least 6 outdoor parks within that distance that are good. Or you can schedule day trips to parks around Florida like Kona in Jacksonville. You are sure to meet alot of great sponsored riders and will take home great memories if not alot of new tricks.

|

8/17/2018 3:44 PM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Get the plane over to Malaga for a weekend instead, and hit up Ruben's park.

Although when I was a kid Woodward was a dream.

I. Fucking. Wish.

|

8/17/2018 3:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2018 3:07 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Maybe you could work there temporarily? Im sure they have other living quarters for the staff that rides.

My girl won't let me be great. LOL. I told her that and she said "fuck outta here".

|

8/18/2018 2:36 AM

It’d be sick. The worst thing is down the road you regret you didn’t jump at the chance.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn