Is a hazard lite rim the way to go?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/21/2018 7:27 PM

I bought a odyssey hazard lite laced up to a stranger ballast brand new, thinking it would be more than what I need, I had one back in the day when I rode and now that I'm back into it I wanted a wheel I could depend on so I went out and bought a brand new wheel and it literally lasted less than 30 minutes before it bent enough to make my tire rub on my frame, the wheel was straight as an arrow when I put it on and all spokes were tight. So my question is when I go back to my bike shop and see what they can do should i even bother with the hazard or what? Like I said I knew they were the wheel to have like 10 years ago but things change, also I wasnt doing anything crazy just 360'd out of a quarter, didn't seem like I landed that rough and I'm about 170lb

|

12/21/2018 7:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2018 7:30 PM

edit
Get something stronger. Try g sport.

|

12/21/2018 7:33 PM

I don’t think a properly laced up hazard lite should have done that.

|

12/21/2018 7:35 PM

That's what I was thinking. Like I said I had one long time ago and it went through way worse stuff but I was smaller to ha

|

12/21/2018 7:45 PM

If it’s a brand new wheel it’s gotta be retightened

|

12/21/2018 11:51 PM

Sounds like a poorly built wheel to me. Was it hand built or machine built? Machine built wheels are never pre stressed, they just tighten the nipples to a certain torque. If it was hand built, they didn't pre stress the spokes properly. I've got old g sport rollcages that are about 4th hand and 8 odd years old. I've built them to 3 different hubs, and never even had a wobble in either. The hazard lite is more than capable of handling a 360

|

12/22/2018 11:16 AM

I have 2 hazard lites and the only time they bent or went out of true was due to me not tightening up the spokes thinking they were gtg out the box...they werent.

|

12/22/2018 8:46 PM

People seem to think you can just put a wheel on and ride it forever without any maintenance.. Spokes in new wheels bed in & "loosen up" after a few rides. If they're not properly re-tensioned once that happens, then it becomes super easy to bend the rim.

If you are certain that the spokes were tight at the time of the incident (& not just when you bought the wheel,) then I suspect it was built wrong. As said above, a properly laced/tensioned Hazard rim will not bend on a simple 360.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/22/2018 9:17 PM

dumb question, are you positive it's the rim bent and your wheel just didn't shift?

cause even a machine built wheel would last longer than 30 minutes. someone had to fuck up the building of it, and bad, for it to bend in 30 minutes. unless you landed sketchy as fuck side heavy or something anyways.

|

12/23/2018 11:15 AM

Are you sure you didn’t drop in on a 9 foot quarter pipe? It’s well known around here, that can break parts prematurely.

|

12/23/2018 11:17 AM

jbales wrote:

Are you sure you didn’t drop in on a 9 foot quarter pipe? It’s well known around here, that can break parts prematurely.

Those things are death traps from what I've heard

|