Is above 9" rise too tall?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/7/2017 6:58 PM

I have been riding 9s for a year or two and I am about 6 feet tall. I am thinking about getting S&M crecedence xl bars which are 9.25" rise. Thoughts? Is above 9" too tall?

|

3/7/2017 7:42 PM

I'm 5'9 and rode 10" bars man haha , currently running 9.5 bars and a topload and it feels good .

Bigger bars always will feel better in my opinion , I tried 8.85 and I didn't work . I might try again , but I'm just not feeling small bars anymore .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/7/2017 7:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2017 7:51 PM

Comfortable is comfortable regardless of what anyone says is too big. 9s were once considered "too big" but fast forward a few years and the majority of riders were running them.

I'm 6'1" and I used to run 8.5s and found by getting on other people's bikes that tall bars felt like shit. That was, until I put a set of 9.25s on my own bike about a year ago. My bike felt so much better with them than the small bars and I wouldn't go back. My back hasn't felt so good since I started riding, I can ride for longer without getting sore or tired and everything feels better and easier. I did notice that taller bars takes away from your hops a little bit but once you're used to them, you can get easily the same height.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/7/2017 7:51 PM

Definitely worth a shot. Everyone's different, of course, and we all prefer different parts, of course, so I don't see what not. I'm 5'5 and run 10" bars with a topload.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

3/7/2017 8:21 PM

No

|

3/7/2017 10:33 PM

It's personal preference. I'm 6' tall and had 9" bars. I couldn't ride them with a topload, but they felt OK with a frontload.
I've just got some 8.5 the make bars, if they feel too low with a frontload I'll put my old stem back on. And they'll be pretty much the same height as 9's on a frontload.
I found my whole bike felt unstable with bigger bars, plus they look silly.

|

3/8/2017 3:31 AM

If you like 9s, jumping to 9,25 isn't very crazy. Just remember the higher your bars, the lower your hop is gonna get. That's just physics. It's because you can't pull the front end up as high. .25 isn't going to make much difference though.

|

3/8/2017 7:22 AM

I'm currently 6'1 and ride 10" BSD Raider bars cut down to 27.5 from 29.5 and own a pair of S&M Perfect 10's which i haven't had a chance to really try out, but anyways, I used to ride the stock 8.5 Subrosa Bars that came with my Arum Complete and i was always sore after riding, having to really hunch over when you ride sucks. I find that bigger is truly better and comfort is key, the whole "you can't hop high with big bars" is false, I know a couple guys who ride 9.5' bars and can hop a handrail with ease, to me the whole bunny hop/j hop thing doesn't matter because I could never hop high in the first place. BOTTOM LINE: Ride bars that fit your height and riding and make YOU comfortable.

|

@Jewishlamb

3/8/2017 7:29 AM

Its personal preference. I will say I think bars larger than 9" look extremely goofy and make bikes look awful.

|

3/8/2017 8:57 AM

Love my Credence XL's!!
I am 6'1" and was running 9"Shadow Vultus
the Credence have less flex and feel GREAT!!

|

3/8/2017 9:31 AM

Regarding back pain and comfort. I found taller bars more comfortable when just riding around (to work, between spots etc.). But when actually riding my back ached more. Tall bars make most things a little easier, so I found myself constantly struggling to keep control of my bike, especially at speed. With manuals I noticed it most, because you have to fight your bike to not loop out. I guess it felt a bit like having a really short chainstay?

I'm from an age when 8" was big though, and I still struggle with modern bikes (or I just blame them for me being bad?)

|

3/8/2017 5:24 PM

Nope, I'm 5'10" with 9.25" bars and a topload with around 10mm of spacers and I love it.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

3/9/2017 2:30 AM

It's not a myth, that taller bars will make you hop lower. I put on 7" bars the other day just for a laugh, and I felt like I could hop a foot higher. It just took a little more energy. Anyone else that tries it will probably feel the same.

|

3/9/2017 7:12 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

It's not a myth, that taller bars will make you hop lower. I put on 7" bars the other day just for a laugh, and I felt like I could hop a foot higher. It just took a little more energy. Anyone else that tries it will probably feel the same.

love the name name btw (gg allin) but what i meant was that it's not the bike that will make you hop higher, its the rider, sure a 12 year old couldn't hop higher than a 20 year old on the same bike, the way i see it is that the stronger you are the more likely you can hop higher with taller bars. don't get me wrong, smaller bars are easier because you can really pull them up into your chest but having tall bars doesn't flat out mean you can't hop high. Most completes now a days come with 8.5/8.75" bars and i don't think the 0.50"/0.25" inches is going to make you not hop as high. (9 inch bars)

|

@Jewishlamb

3/9/2017 10:07 AM

JewishLamb wrote:

love the name name btw (gg allin) but what i meant was that it's not the bike that will make you hop higher, its the rider, sure a 12 year old couldn't hop higher than a 20 year old on the same bike, the way i see it is that the stronger you are the more likely you can hop higher with taller bars. don't get me wrong, smaller bars are easier because you can really pull them up into your chest but having tall bars doesn't flat out mean you can't hop high. Most completes now a days come with 8.5/8.75" bars and i don't think the 0.50"/0.25" inches is going to make you not hop as high. (9 inch bars)

Yes and no. Taller bars will make you hop lower, for a while at least. I lost half a foot or so of hop height going from 8.5 to 9.25 but after a month or so I had it back and then some. If you don't put in the work to get your hops the same as before getting big bars, it'll take a very long time to get back.

12 year old vs. 20 year old, I've seen 12 year olds hop far higher than some 20 year olds. When my brother was 12, he was hopping stem height, with ease. It's more technique than anything. It doesn't matter what age a rider is for learning anything, more how much patience and motivation they have for learning it.

Bring your bike to a gym and get the bodybuilder-types to hop as high as they can, strength isn't a big part of hopping. In a hop, you move your weight back and up at the same time which deweights and lifts the front-end and lifts you higher at the same time. You then just tuck up and you have a bunnyhop. How high you go with it only depends on how high the front-end goes. It's a matter of technique, nothing more.

You'd be very surprised how much that extra 1/4" or 1/2" gets in your way until you change your technique.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/9/2017 4:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2017 4:55 PM

Me personally having been riding bmx for about 20 years, I can say I love these big bars these days compared to back then. But mainly it's because my body is destroyed and I can't bend over the bars anymore without some sort of pain lol. But I myself feel more control over the bike with the bigger bars, I might be crazy but that's just my opinion and now wouldn't go any lower than 9in which is what I have now. Also run them with a top load and uncut at 29in width. They are the Verde Neyer pro bars btw. I'm not picky about looks, weight, or anything. I just ride what's comfortable for me and that's all

|

3/10/2017 8:37 AM

I used to swear by big bar's for easing back pain. I think now that technique has more to do with it than bars. I've been trying to support the weight of my upper body with my arms more. My technique mostly had me using my arms for control but not for support. I think it is good to keep your arms loose. But now I try to support my weight with my arms as long as possible while rolling up to and away from what ever I try to do. And it seems to be helping. Instead of my back supporting my hunched forward upper body for the whole session, it ends up only being 20% or so of the session. With my back it seems like if it doesn't get too the point where it is too fatigued it won't tighten up. So the 20% of the time that I'm using it, it feels like a good workout for it. I'm actually contemplating going back to my 8.5" bars with my old back.

|