Is hi-ten any good?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/10/2017 2:31 PM

I see lots of high end bikes are hi-ten but are they any good?

|

If you ain't fallin you ain't trying.

11/10/2017 2:42 PM

I just recently got back into bmx, and I was asking myself the same question, how are 600 dollar bikes not full chromoly,

|

11/10/2017 3:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2017 3:25 PM

No no NO
Just get a l100
One of the cheapest bikes with full chromoly and decent parts
Don't buy overpriced hi ten crap
STAY AWAY FROM HI TEN

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

11/10/2017 3:29 PM

GCBMX69 wrote:

No no NO
Just get a l100
One of the cheapest bikes with full chromoly and decent parts
Don't buy overpriced hi ten crap
STAY ...more

Build quality imo us just as if not more Important than material. 1020 hi-ten isn't weak. It just isn't as well suited to bmx as 4130 chromoly. For a beginner I would go for geometry and build quality. Or buy the l100 and keep the rest of the money for parts as you start to develop preferences for the kind of parts you want on a bike.

|

Hmmm

11/10/2017 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2017 3:50 PM

Just get a fit sig bike or a KINK whip smile .... I already went threw this

|

11/10/2017 7:59 PM

It's not as terrible as many make it sound, but it's definitely the lesser choice for BMX parts.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/11/2017 1:43 AM

The build quality matters more. I'd bet the build quality of a Hi ten fit frame is better than a chromoly mongoose frame. Any bike will need upgrading and dialling in. So I'd actually be more inclined to buy a complete that has better parts then replace the frame for something aftermarket with better geometry. It's all very well buying a mongoose, but you'll eventually want to replace the whole bike. You will pay a little more for a name. But you really do get what you pay for with bikes. I think it's Sunday that do a few completes that come with a hi ten frame, but really good aftermarket parts. Replace the frame and you've got a good "custom" build.

I doubt any beginners are going to be putting parts through hell. Yeah, you'll break parts from learning things, but you'll break those parts regardless. A chromoly complete simply isn't as good as an aftermarket custom build

|

11/11/2017 6:50 AM

There's really no such thing as a "high end hi-tens bike". IMHO, if you are spending $600, it should NOT have any hi-tens. If it does, you are really buying into the brand rather than the quality of bike. I have no doubt that there are companies that produce quality hi-tens products but at that price point, there's no reason full-Chromoly structure parts (frame, fork, bars, cranks, axles, etc...) shouldn't be used.

|

11/11/2017 9:15 AM

Wait till you guys see this gem I just picked up for $200. I'm going to make a post about this soon. What you can get for $200 new vs used. You can easily find $1000 plus bikes for $200 if your patient and do the research. Hi-ten would be fine if the tubing was made twice as thick as chromoly, like a 10lb frame vs a 5lb chromoly frame, would be equal in strength, but that will never happen, so 100 pound kids break frames all the he time. That should never happen.

|

11/11/2017 11:06 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

There's really no such thing as a "high end hi-tens bike". IMHO, if you are spending $600, it should NOT have any hi-tens. If ...more

I was thinking along the same lines....$600 for a hi-ten bike is $500 too much. I wonder if people at the companies charging this are just hoping that the buyers aren't reading the specs well, or don't know what they are doing or looking for

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/12/2017 7:41 AM

15 years ago you could get a $300 complete, full chromoly, with a frame that was made with 8 pounds of chromoly steel. Literally double the chromoly you get today, at half the price...

|

11/12/2017 6:19 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

15 years ago you could get a $300 complete, full chromoly, with a frame that was made with 8 pounds of chromoly steel. ...more

I do not know about that, Tri frame maybe, unless the bikes had real real cheap parts.

Only bike that might have come around that price, top of my head might be the old haro shreaders. When I bought my brothers shreader for him for xmass "think 2001" it might have been close to 350/400, and was all looseball etc. still a killer bike for a kid tho, Still have the frame.

Now, higher end bikes might have had better/ name brand parts for the price. My kids Hoffman EP pro 'think 2000" was close to 800$ tho it had/has top quality parts on it. Brake cables, grips, tires and maybe the seat, I think are the only parts ever replaced on it. far as I recall.

IMO, I think prices have stayed about the same, tho the parts and quality of them might have changed.

|

11/12/2017 7:11 PM

Some of those bikes come with good parts though, you could just get a bad ass frame later on no?

|

11/12/2017 10:36 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

15 years ago you could get a $300 complete, full chromoly, with a frame that was made with 8 pounds of chromoly steel. ...more

That's because it was literally a bunch of straight gauge tubes welded together. Now the tubes are formed/butted, meaning the tubes are more expensive in the first place. The qc of those tubes has also tightened up, so the quality of the material is better too. And they're generally better engineered. All that costs money.

|

11/13/2017 5:04 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

& 15 years ago, the riding was progressing so fast & drastically that I think manufacturers were just over building with straight gauge tubing to try to provide a product that would last. It took time for them to understand what stress levels were being applied at that level of riding (a level not previously normal).

|

11/16/2017 4:45 AM

I have been riding for over 30 years. I have had all sorts of bikes in all sorts of materials. Although chromoly is the way to go, if you not an overly aggressive rider, hi ten is just fine. I have a hi ten frame now ( as well as chromoly ones) that I got in 2010. I use it as a test bike to try new stuff. I don't like destroying my good bikes, I like to keep them pretty. I try all new things i'm working on with this bike and it hasn't broke yet.

|

11/16/2017 6:46 AM

ive only been rideing two months and im getting odyssey r 32 because i bent my hi-ten forks.....

|

11/16/2017 8:50 AM

Like some have already pointed out and what I failed to mention, a lot has to do with the build quality and from a reputable company. Not a Walmart bike.

|

11/16/2017 8:58 AM

Stixxs wrote:

Like some have already pointed out and what I failed to mention, a lot has to do with the build quality and from a reputable ...more

it wasnt a walmart bike....i mean it wasnt a pro bmx eather it was a subrosa tiro 2018...im gonna get the new forks for black friday tho

|

11/16/2017 9:17 AM

Stixxs wrote:

Like some have already pointed out and what I failed to mention, a lot has to do with the build quality and from a reputable ...more

bmxgangri123 wrote:

it wasnt a walmart bike....i mean it wasnt a pro bmx eather it was a subrosa tiro 2018...im gonna get the new forks for black ...more

Enjoy your new forks and hope they last longer!

|

11/16/2017 9:33 AM

Stixxs wrote:

bmxgangri123 wrote:

it wasnt a walmart bike....i mean it wasnt a pro bmx eather it was a subrosa tiro 2018...im gonna get the new forks for black ...more

Stixxs wrote:

Enjoy your new forks and hope they last longer!

theoretically will last the rest of my life so they will...

|