Is higher psi always better?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2017 11:45 AM

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to wheels and tires especially. But back then I heard that a lower psi will do a better job preventing flats and absorb more shock don't know if thats really true since I always had my tires at 45psi when its max is 60.

Also I hear that thicker tires are always a better option, and sometimes I see people with a thicker rear tire with the front not matching up why is this?

|

9/15/2017 11:55 AM

Generally speaking, a fatter tire will allow for more "shock absorption". As will lower pressure. But the lower the pressure, the more likely you are to encounter a "pinch flat" where your tire squishes enough to pinch the tube & cause a flat. Fatter tires create more rolling resistance... as does a lower tire pressure, so, I theorize that people may be running a fatter tire in the rear to help cushion rear wheel landings while keeping a thinner tire in front to aide in quicker feeling handling characteristics.

In my experience, higher pressure tires are the way to go to avoid flats and to aide in a more solid feeling/rolling ride. It's sorta personal preference to some extent but I think most high end tires are high pressure and most pros run higher pressure (I believe... but don't quote me on that).

|

9/15/2017 12:52 PM

I run around 50psi, with 2.25 tyres it's still pretty fast rolling, and I do plenty of bump jumps and stuff. It's about the perfect balance for me, I never get pinch flats, and I don't feel every single bump I go over. Hard tyres feel like arse to me, and wider tyres make my bike feel sluggish

|

9/15/2017 1:21 PM

80 PSI until it slowly brings itself to 60-then refill.

Lower pressure can absorb some shock, BUT there is a fine line before pinch flats become common.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/15/2017 1:25 PM

Tried manual 180's and landed 90 down a bank constantly , if I didn't have high af PSI I would have gotten a pinch flat for sure. Rather save money and time by running them hard .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/15/2017 2:18 PM

I run 80 front and back and im thinking about going down to 75 or 70psi. 60psi feels a bit squishy to me. I do get less flats at 80 and i like rolling fast and not having the tire flexing underneathe you feeling. But i feel like the more psi you run the harder it is on your body. So to prolong my riding ability, i think im going to move on down.

|

9/15/2017 2:25 PM

To answer your question, people run bigger tires in the front for handling reasons. It provides more surface for traction. Since the back tire just kinda loosely pivots when the front is turning, the back tire doesnt need to be as big as the front. It also provides more cushion for your wrists the wider the tire because it has more ability to absorb impact due to the surface area being enlarged. I run a fairly typical 2.4 in the front and 2.3 in the back setup. It feels really weird if your tire in the back is larger than the one in the front.

I believe you're using the term "thicker" in place of wider? Am I correct?

|

9/15/2017 3:45 PM

I run 50 psi like GrumpySteve. Tried 60 felt way too stiff on the wrists. I roll fast enough with 50 psi.. Never gotten a pinch flat and I do many large drops and bump jumps.

|

9/15/2017 6:17 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I run 80 front and back and im thinking about going down to 75 or 70psi. 60psi feels a bit squishy to me. I do get less flats at 80 and i like rolling fast and not having the tire flexing underneathe you feeling. But i feel like the more psi you run the harder it is on your body. So to prolong my riding ability, i think im going to move on down.

I do 75 front and back with 2.1" old Snafu tires (forget the model).

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/15/2017 6:19 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

I do 75 front and back with 2.1" old Snafu tires (forget the model).

Do you hit concrete parks ever?

|

9/15/2017 9:46 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

To answer your question, people run bigger tires in the front for handling reasons. It provides more surface for traction. Since the back tire just kinda loosely pivots when the front is turning, the back tire doesnt need to be as big as the front. It also provides more cushion for your wrists the wider the tire because it has more ability to absorb impact due to the surface area being enlarged. I run a fairly typical 2.4 in the front and 2.3 in the back setup. It feels really weird if your tire in the back is larger than the one in the front.

I believe you're using the term "thicker" in place of wider? Am I correct?

Yea, I meant thicker tires. Thanks for the help.

|

9/15/2017 11:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2017 9:57 AM

2.25 in front 2.10 in rear, 80 psi Fit FAFs

|

9/15/2017 11:49 PM

lol at all the people who claim 50-60 is too much . I run 100-110 as often as a can and find 80 pretty low

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/16/2017 6:19 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

lol at all the people who claim 50-60 is too much . I run 100-110 as often as a can and find 80 pretty low

Why laugh at it? Tire psi is all user preference. Some like a squishy tire because they don't want their wrists getting beat up. Some like higher psi to roll fast, park riders are a perfect example. Or a higher psi to prevent pinch flats. I myself have been riding over 20 years and I'm not a teenager anymore. I ride mainly street and keep my tires around 60ish because it helps me with pain. Anything over that is too much for me at this point

|

9/16/2017 6:48 AM

Try running tyres that hard on the streets in Britain. It's fine if all you ride is a smooth concrete park.

Another fine example of a pissing contest in bmx. Whoever has the hardest tyres and biggest sprocket must automatically be the winner.....

|

9/16/2017 7:53 AM

Do you guys follow what they have written on the tyre sidewalls? I normally go in the middle between those numbers. So the ones I'm using at the moment have 80-100 psi written on them so I go to 90 psi. It can feel a bit on the hard side sometimes.

Do those numbers actually mean anything?

|

9/16/2017 9:23 AM

I run a 2.3" tyre in the back and a big 2.4" up front to benefit both the traction and cushion of the bigger tyre with a low rolling resistance (I don't like the monster truck feeling in the back).
I pump them around 5 bars (70psi) I like the fast feeling, still with some cushion tho, I'm nearly 200lbs so they don't feel that hard to me.
If the front goes down to 60psi that don't bother me, I even add some comfort but the back need to stay pumped at least to 65, if it's lower I feel too much rolling resistance, and I also need that pressure for my hundred bumpjumps each day.

|

9/16/2017 9:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2017 9:36 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Try running tyres that hard on the streets in Britain. It's fine if all you ride is a smooth concrete park.

Another fine example of a pissing contest in bmx. Whoever has the hardest tyres and biggest sprocket must automatically be the winner.....

You mean smaller your sprocket, higher your bars, louder your hub, harder your tires, fatter your tires, longer your top tube...lol
What am I missing?

|

9/16/2017 10:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2017 10:50 AM

For me, whenever I refill or bring my pressure up, it does nothing but good things for how my bike feels. Its snappy and doesn't bounce around like a basketball. Im around 90

|

9/16/2017 12:36 PM

I didn't think much about it when i was young but at my age it's important to do everything you can to protect your body. Old bones really appreciate fat front tyres run at minimal pressure!!!

|

9/16/2017 1:10 PM

Idk really I run around 75. Pump em to 80/90 they go down slowly and I refill before they hit 50/60. Ive ran this since I was like 12 and it was way unnecessary back then but the older riders would talk shit so I did what they did. I'm glad I did tho. As far as width I have 2.3/.4 front, 2.0/.2 back. I like em fast but not rocks so 75 is a decent compromise. Honestly tho I am going back to 2.0/.1 front and back soon because the newer tires just feel slow compared to old, hard primo walls and shit I used to run. More responsive and might even save some weight so whatever. Experiment will lead to experience to won't know what you like til you try a few different setups

|

@coupd_tat

9/19/2017 6:50 AM

60 PSI. Then bring spare tubes for when i case hard. My wrists prefer that.

|

9/19/2017 6:56 AM

Beamex wrote:

Do you guys follow what they have written on the tyre sidewalls? I normally go in the middle between those numbers. So the ones I'm using at the moment have 80-100 psi written on them so I go to 90 psi. It can feel a bit on the hard side sometimes.

Do those numbers actually mean anything?

Yes, those numbers really mean something.

C'mon man...

|

9/19/2017 8:48 AM

depends on how you ride. for street 65ish psi is best. I mainly ride flatland and ramp so I stick to around 100psi

|

It’s all bmx

9/19/2017 10:47 AM

I ride 30 psi with 2.40 tires front and back and I love it. Its all just preference in my eyes. I hate higher than 40 psi simply because it starts hurting my wrists. I've almost never had any pinch flats at all and I ride Fit FAF tires. Up until recently I was riding a S&M Speedball 2.4 in the front and a Merritt Option tire 2.35 in the back and it felt fine. Pinch flats dont really happen until you hit the 20 range in psi.

|

9/19/2017 11:33 AM

MUDDYCCTV wrote:

I ride 30 psi with 2.40 tires front and back and I love it. Its all just preference in my eyes. I hate higher than 40 psi simply because it starts hurting my wrists. I've almost never had any pinch flats at all and I ride Fit FAF tires. Up until recently I was riding a S&M Speedball 2.4 in the front and a Merritt Option tire 2.35 in the back and it felt fine. Pinch flats dont really happen until you hit the 20 range in psi.

That's crazy, it doesn't at all feel weird in tuns or carving? The little air with a fat tire as yours sounds insane, lol.

I run 1.95" front and back at 85 PSI. Fast, twitchy, dialed. But hey, personal preference!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/19/2017 11:44 AM

I like 60 but I let them get pretty low sometimes. I run KRADs and they are thick(like the the thickness of the the rubber)so they don't really feel horrible when they get to around 40 but I worry about pinch flats. 60 feels pretty good. I tried 100 once and that sucked. It was like riding skateboard wheels. I can see how it would be different in a park though. Both my tires are 2.3" and I like it that way. I always used to run 2.1 or 2.25 in the front and 1.95 in the rear when I was younger but I like how the wide tires front and back feel.

|

9/19/2017 11:53 AM

MUDDYCCTV wrote:

readybmxer wrote:

That's crazy, it doesn't at all feel weird in tuns or carving? The little air with a fat tire as yours sounds insane, lol.

I run 1.95" front and back at 85 PSI. Fast, twitchy, dialed. But hey, personal preference!

100% preference! smile

|