Is it just me, or are his wheels laced wrong?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/9/2017 3:04 PM

I'm pretty sure those rims are supposed to be cross laced. They don't look right, but I'm not 100%. If I'm right someone should tell him lol. I didn't think a pro would make this kind of mistake. Maybe I'm wrong? Check it out.

http://bmx.transworld.net/features/ride-jake-seeley/

|

5/9/2017 3:18 PM

you get different types of lacing though, 3 cross laced or 2 cross laced, there's also radial lacing and a hybrid mix of cross and radial as well.

|

5/9/2017 3:58 PM

His look to be 3x Cross laced.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/9/2017 4:47 PM

They're 3 cross, it just looks odd from the angle.
2 cross doesn't, and never has been a thing in bmx. 3 cross is the only logical way of lacing modern hubs because the flanges are too small for 4 cross, but a lot of old school and mid wheels with higher flanges were 4 cross. Radials never been a good idea in bmx.

|

5/9/2017 4:59 PM

I see 2 mistakes. The first, one of the spokes goes behind the 2nd cross. The second, one of the spokes goes straight to the rim without crossing under anything. The first mistake will end up breaking the spoke. The second is quite a bit weaker but not really a big deal. It just looks to me like he broke some spokes and didn't pay attention to the pattern when he replaced them.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/10/2017 3:13 AM

What ggallin means is that Gsport rims are drilled for cross lacing, the spokes for one side of the hub cross over to the opposite side of the rim. Looks like Seeley's are laced like a regular wheel in this bike check though...

|

5/10/2017 6:21 AM

it doesn't matter because as soon as his wheels are trashed he's just gonna get new ones lol

|

It’s all bmx

5/10/2017 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2017 7:15 AM

SquirrelBait wrote:

What ggallin means is that Gsport rims are drilled for cross lacing, the spokes for one side of the hub cross over to the ...more

That's exactly what I mean. So you see it too then. I wonder who laced his wheels? Someone. Really should clue him in, because it puts the spokes at very extreme angles. It's basically laced backwards. He would probably solve his spoke breaking problem. Jake is from my hometown, so I really hate to see this lol. Probably just a one time thing, but you never know...

|

5/10/2017 7:34 AM

SquirrelBait wrote:

What ggallin means is that Gsport rims are drilled for cross lacing, the spokes for one side of the hub cross over to the ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

That's exactly what I mean. So you see it too then. I wonder who laced his wheels? Someone. Really should clue him in, because ...more

Dude you would be surprised how often this happens with gsport rims and normal non-bmx wheel builders. I once saw a wheel set being sold with the rollcage as rims. The spokes were laced the wrong way. I messaged him and told him that they were laced wrong and he replied "oh damn, i didnt know. I ordered the rims and hubs separately and payrd a bike shop employee to build them for me." I told him that I wasnt interested anyways but he would be better off unlacing both wheels and just selling the rims and hubs separately because I wouldnt be the only person to notice this mistake.

When I had the bike shop build mine I made sure to be really on point with telling the guy that the rims were cross laced and that if laced improperly to the design they would snap on the first bunnyhop. He definitely did a good job on those wheels.

|

5/10/2017 7:58 AM

Tyrone Williams laces his rims differently, drive side is three cross and non-drive is radial or something, I not sure why he does it.

|

5/10/2017 9:50 AM

Sheldon. wrote:

Tyrone Williams laces his rims differently, drive side is three cross and non-drive is radial or something, I not sure why he ...more

Guys do that in Racing to lighten the wheels a tad. shorter spokes on Non drive side translate to a "precious 15g" lol

|

5/11/2017 3:53 AM

They are fine and 3x. Depends on who builds your wheels. I like 4x but have run 3x just don't think it's as strong.

|

5/11/2017 4:43 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

They are fine and 3x. Depends on who builds your wheels. I like 4x but have run 3x just don't think it's as strong.

Yes they are 3x...but Gsport rims are drilled for cross lacing as in the spokes from the left side of the hub are supposed to cross to the right side of the rim and spokes on the right side of the hub cross to the left. If the wheels aren't cross laced the nips won't seat correctly in the rim. My wheels are cross laced...pain in the ass to do but they are super stiff and I haven't had to retrue them yet.

|

5/11/2017 8:14 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

cross lacing is different from the cross pattern they talk about in wheels like 3/4x etc.
cross lacing is where the spokes on the right side of the hub connect to the holes on the left side of the rim instead of the right like on traditional wheels. the holes in the rims are angled towards the opposite side of the hub so if you lace them regular, you put a lot more stress on only one side of the nipples and nipple holes and end up blowing them out a lot more frequently.

a cross laced wheels spokes should attach to the rim like this..
http://www.alienationbmx.com/wp-content/gallery/runaway/spokes.jpg

|

5/11/2017 8:32 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

Sean_Goff wrote:

cross lacing is different from the cross pattern they talk about in wheels like 3/4x etc.
cross lacing is where the spokes on ...more

I know, I lace all my wheels for mountain and BMX. I was just saying 4x to me is stronger. If it's 4x craoss lased like my last wheels it is probably the best.

|

5/13/2017 4:21 PM

could be worse, you could be having to lace and true these
Photo

|

5/13/2017 5:05 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

could be worse, you could be having to lace and true these
Photo

Been there, done that. It's not as bad as you'd think...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/13/2017 11:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2017 11:24 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Sean_Goff wrote:

cross lacing is where the spokes on ...more

Gack2000 wrote:

I know, I lace all my wheels for mountain and BMX. I was just saying 4x to me is stronger. If it's 4x craoss lased like my ...more

4 cross is better for sideways support, 3 cross is better for vertical support.

This is why we road bikers often run no cross radial spokes, so they don't waist power, on the front wheel, but also on the back on the non drive side, they only can't do this on the drive side or the wheel would explode at the first pedaling.

Back to BMX I never rode a 4 cross laced wheels, I wanted to try once, but the cross pattern on the hub seemed weird, 3x is just the more fit to bmx.

My strongest backwheel is 3 cross with a rim with inline spokes (shadow truss), I'm really hard on my backwheels and I usually needed to true them nearly each week (depending how hard I ride) but this rim just stays in place, I never re trued it since I built it 3 month ago. Spread apart spoke holes make your wheel go untrue so easily, cross over or opposite cross whatever it's called like gsport and bsd do seem to be great.

|

5/14/2017 4:07 AM

3x is stronger on a 36 spoke wheel. Only use 4x with 48 spokes. 4x also looks terrible on a 36. That's not the point of this thread at all. Just pointing out that someone should tell Jake that his wheels are laced wrong. Doesn't matter if they are 2x, 3x, 4x, whatever, they are still wrong.

|

5/14/2017 5:23 PM

Yeah I was off, and yeah half of pro riders are dummies who don't know how to build wheels.

|