Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2016 2:18 AM

|

1/2/2016 5:52 PM

Asl ng as it fits your forks and bars it should be fine

|

1/2/2016 5:55 PM

Jason bmx 128 wrote:

Asl ng as it fits your forks and bars it should be fine

Yes it fits but it is pretty small compared to my old stem (Crappy stock stem) i noticed right away that it was really small when I received it so you dont think it might be too weak or something to ride on a full size 20" bike?

|

1/2/2016 6:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2016 6:07 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but, wouldn't a shorter stem be a little bit stronger in general (excluding a 1-2 mm difference compared to say a 53 down to a 48) because of there being less leverage to possibly snap the damn thing? Of course it also depends on the workmanship, how much machining, and material used, etc. but still.

EDIT: As for the O.P. if it fit's your steerer tube on your forks, and you have enough steerer tube and stem body contact you should be fine, just make sure you have grease on your bolt threads and tighten it down properly and you are good to go.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

1/2/2016 6:12 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but, wouldn't a shorter stem be a little bit stronger in general (excluding a 1-2 mm difference ...more

Yep it fits fine its just looks really small and it says its mean for 16 and 18 inch bikes so i was kinda worried if it was safe or not to ride with it on my 20" bike

|

1/2/2016 6:15 PM

Smaller stems make nose manuals and manuals easier

|

1/2/2016 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2016 6:20 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but, wouldn't a shorter stem be a little bit stronger in general (excluding a 1-2 mm difference ...more

Neros Beats wrote:

Yep it fits fine its just looks really small and it says its mean for 16 and 18 inch bikes so i was kinda worried if it was ...more

if you are talking about the length of the stem (the amount of reach), you are safe as long as it fits and functions fine.

there are many many many riders who ride sub 46mm reach stems (mainly flatland)

Pro Team Rider Ben Lewis rides his signature Benny stem from fit, which is a 46mm reach stem, the stem you got is a 48mm. So in other words, it's all personal preference.

A shorter stem like yours will make your front end respond a lil easier on turns, your bars can spin around faster too because they are closer in to the center of the fork.

EDIT: Since it was bought off ebay, the whole 16", 18", and junior BS does not mean all that much, people just put those references in the item title so there is a better chance of the sellers item being seen I am pretty sure. Also, a lot 16 and 18 inch bikes have shorter stems in general

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

1/2/2016 6:22 PM

its not meant for a 20" bike thats what was worrying me and also it looks small on my bike but it fits and everything

|

1/2/2016 6:27 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

Neros Beats wrote:

Yep it fits fine its just looks really small and it says its mean for 16 and 18 inch bikes so i was kinda worried if it was ...more

James_Letten17 wrote:

if you are talking about the length of the stem (the amount of reach), you are safe as long as it fits and functions fine.

...more

Oh okay i see im just getting back into riding after 5 years and I bought it without knowing all this stuff thank you I appreciate it

|

1/2/2016 7:12 PM

Your bars with probably be more likely to slip because the clamping area will be smaller

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

1/2/2016 7:15 PM

If you dont like the stem email the company who sent you it and say it didnt say it was a junior stem they should understand and give you your cash back.

|

1/2/2016 7:56 PM

Jason bmx 128 wrote:

Smaller stems make nose manuals and manuals easier

These urban myths are so funny to read. Shorter stem makes it negligibly easier to pull up for a manual, and harder to balance once up. It makes it harder to get into a nose manual, but easier once up

P.S. The same effect can be had by just changing the angle of your bars...

----

16" and 18" still use 7/8" bar tubes, and 1" or 1 1/8" forks. Nothing to worry about unless it has an explicit weight limit. If you want the feeling of your old, longer stem, just angle the bars forward a touch

|

1/2/2016 8:04 PM

As long as the clamping area is still regular sized, t shouldn't be a problem. The only noticeable difference will be the reach being shorter on the junior stem.

If it were one like this, then yeah I'd send it back asap but if yours is the same as in the photo you posted, then you should be fine

Photo

|

1/3/2016 1:47 AM

It'll be fine. It's just shorter. That's the only difference really. Plus if it's smaller you'll save some precious grams

|

1/3/2016 3:13 AM

Having less clamping area can actually help grip depending on how perfect the clamping area of the bars isn't

|

1/3/2016 11:42 AM

jawn wrote:

Having less clamping area can actually help grip depending on how perfect the clamping area of the bars isn't

Is this jawn from bmx-f? How are you doing.man?

|