Is it worth it?!?! (help asap)

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2016 7:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2016 8:02 PM

I brought my bike into the lbs and got quoted 50 AUD dollars to have the bearings in the rear hub replaced, i called up today and now they are charging me doubled up to 100 AUD because the guy i talked to was new and didnt know what he was doing. he cant charge me less. He has the bike on hold and isnt going to fix it yet unless i tell him too. He said it slightly damaged the hub getting the bearings out.
The bad points with my back wheel is
-all bearings need replacing
-rim is a bit bent and trueing isnt fixing it
-few spokes missing
-whole wheelset is about 4-5 years old
-the sides of the rim have no paint from when i use to use brakes

is it worth fixing or should i get a whole new wheel set? if i did replace the back i would need to replace the sprocket and chain as well since my sprocket is bent and my chain is on its way out. i dont have much money but i might be able to use the money i was going to use for a laptop for that but im not sure yet i have been saving up money for a while now, and my family and i live on a small wage.

Here is my bike (with the wheels) http://bmx-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/69/2011-WeThePeople-Volta

|

6/3/2016 8:40 PM

Bearings are cheap buy some bearings and do it yourself

|

6/3/2016 8:47 PM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

I brought my bike into the lbs and got quoted 50 AUD dollars to have the bearings in the rear hub replaced, i called up today and now they are charging me doubled up to 100 AUD because the guy i talked to was new and didnt know what he was doing. he cant charge me less. He has the bike on hold and isnt going to fix it yet unless i tell him too. He said it slightly damaged the hub getting the bearings out.
The bad points with my back wheel is
-all bearings need replacing
-rim is a bit bent and trueing isnt fixing it
-few spokes missing
-whole wheelset is about 4-5 years old
-the sides of the rim have no paint from when i use to use brakes

is it worth fixing or should i get a whole new wheel set? if i did replace the back i would need to replace the sprocket and chain as well since my sprocket is bent and my chain is on its way out. i dont have much money but i might be able to use the money i was going to use for a laptop for that but im not sure yet i have been saving up money for a while now, and my family and i live on a small wage.

Here is my bike (with the wheels) http://bmx-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/69/2011-WeThePeople-Volta

Went to 3 shops for my blown hub bearings and the most expensive wanted 80$ to take it in and fix it plus 40$ for bearings and a 5$ holding charge per day .

My local and trusted shop made me pay 40$ for bearings , both wheels trued , and service fees . They're awesome

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/3/2016 11:03 PM

That's close to the cost of a half decent rear wheel. What's up with your front wheel? Couldn't you buy a new rear wheel and fix the front?
I'd say do it yourself, bearings are cheap and it's a straight forward job. If it goes wrong (somehow) you'll only be out of pocket by the cost of the bearings and could still buy a new wheel.
I'd also want to see the damage. There's absolutely no need to damage a hub trying to get a bearing out, I'd want them to give me some kind of compensation for it. Maybe buy a wheel from that shop but expect a discount?
It sounds to me like they fucked something up but are expecting you to pay for it.
If your wheel is that badly buckled it would definitely be worth getting a new wheel though. Take it to another shop, point out everything this shop has said and done, and they'll probably laugh and quote you half the amount. Bike shops are very competitive

|

6/4/2016 1:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/4/2016 1:56 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

That's close to the cost of a half decent rear wheel. What's up with your front wheel? Couldn't you buy a new rear wheel and fix the front?
I'd say do it yourself, bearings are cheap and it's a straight forward job. If it goes wrong (somehow) you'll only be out of pocket by the cost of the bearings and could still buy a new wheel.
I'd also want to see the damage. There's absolutely no need to damage a hub trying to get a bearing out, I'd want them to give me some kind of compensation for it. Maybe buy a wheel from that shop but expect a discount?
It sounds to me like they fucked something up but are expecting you to pay for it.
If your wheel is that badly buckled it would definitely be worth getting a new wheel though. Take it to another shop, point out everything this shop has said and done, and they'll probably laugh and quote you half the amount. Bike shops are very competitive

yeah it might be better off getting a new rear wheel because of the big hop, spokes are messed up and on the left side the hub shell is compacted/bent a bit. All the spokes are messed up and the spoke nipples are mostly pretty rounded from like 2 years ago. I would want a new front wheel so i know i have the extra strength in the front and so the wheels match. i did have the same side to side movement problem in the front (like messed up bearings) but i got new axles and tightened the HELL out of it and its alright for now.
My local bike shops are more expensive than normal because i live in a regional town of like 10k people and like 5 hours away from any big citys.
would it be a good idea to just get a really good rear hub/rim/spokes, guard sprocket and shadow v2 chain and then wait untill my front wheel messes up? The only thing about the guard sprocket is my frame is extra low. The last question is that i have like a few mm or so of room between the tire and the forks and a bit more room at the back but not much more, would getting a new rim make my tire higher/wider causing it to rub on my forks or frame?

|

6/4/2016 6:02 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

I brought my bike into the lbs and got quoted 50 AUD dollars to have the bearings in the rear hub replaced, i called up today and now they are charging me doubled up to 100 AUD because the guy i talked to was new and didnt know what he was doing. he cant charge me less. He has the bike on hold and isnt going to fix it yet unless i tell him too. He said it slightly damaged the hub getting the bearings out.
The bad points with my back wheel is
-all bearings need replacing
-rim is a bit bent and trueing isnt fixing it
-few spokes missing
-whole wheelset is about 4-5 years old
-the sides of the rim have no paint from when i use to use brakes

is it worth fixing or should i get a whole new wheel set? if i did replace the back i would need to replace the sprocket and chain as well since my sprocket is bent and my chain is on its way out. i dont have much money but i might be able to use the money i was going to use for a laptop for that but im not sure yet i have been saving up money for a while now, and my family and i live on a small wage.

Here is my bike (with the wheels) http://bmx-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/69/2011-WeThePeople-Volta

I'd refuse to use that shop after what they've said. Mail order yourself a new one if you can afford it however with conversion rates it seems like 100 AUD isn't that much, new wheel would be like 3 times that.

I'd definitely not use that shop though.

Best bet is buying new bearings and doing it yourself, really simple job.

|

6/4/2016 8:19 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

I brought my bike into the lbs and got quoted 50 AUD dollars to have the bearings in the rear hub replaced, i called up today and now they are charging me doubled up to 100 AUD because the guy i talked to was new and didnt know what he was doing. he cant charge me less. He has the bike on hold and isnt going to fix it yet unless i tell him too. He said it slightly damaged the hub getting the bearings out.
The bad points with my back wheel is
-all bearings need replacing
-rim is a bit bent and trueing isnt fixing it
-few spokes missing
-whole wheelset is about 4-5 years old
-the sides of the rim have no paint from when i use to use brakes

is it worth fixing or should i get a whole new wheel set? if i did replace the back i would need to replace the sprocket and chain as well since my sprocket is bent and my chain is on its way out. i dont have much money but i might be able to use the money i was going to use for a laptop for that but im not sure yet i have been saving up money for a while now, and my family and i live on a small wage.

Here is my bike (with the wheels) http://bmx-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/69/2011-WeThePeople-Volta

RonsettasFather wrote:

I'd refuse to use that shop after what they've said. Mail order yourself a new one if you can afford it however with conversion rates it seems like 100 AUD isn't that much, new wheel would be like 3 times that.

I'd definitely not use that shop though.

Best bet is buying new bearings and doing it yourself, really simple job.

It is all you need is a rachet , crescent wrench and a hammer

|

6/4/2016 9:47 AM

If it's as bad as you describe, you should get a new wheel if you can afford it.

|

6/4/2016 10:54 AM

Yeah I'd say get a good rear wheel, then upgrade the front when you can. A new rim won't affect the size of your tyres

|

6/4/2016 7:52 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah I'd say get a good rear wheel, then upgrade the front when you can. A new rim won't affect the size of your tyres

Yeah i think il get a good rear wheel, sprocket and chain. It sucks having two wheels that are different colors but i just dont have the $$$. Thanks man.

|