Is my bike heavy

Related:
Create New Tag

12/3/2014 10:17 AM

Ok my bike weights 27 pounds and I been riding it for 1 year now I can bunny hop bout 3 foot but when I got on my friends bike it was so much lighter and easier not as heavy cause it's kinda harder to bunny hop on mine just wanna know what's most of y'all bikes weight

|

12/3/2014 10:20 AM

No. It's you, not the bike. I rode a 30 lbs bike for a couple of years with absolutely no problems. Now my bike is 22 lbs and there's no real difference in how good I am, taking into account riding time.

|

12/3/2014 10:22 AM

Well I mean I can 360 tire tap and 180 and Manuel foot jam tail whip but when I was at the Florence skate park I went as fast as my friend and hit a ramp and he can go farther and higher on his bike but when I do it I don't make the ramp

|

12/3/2014 10:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2014 10:27 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

No. It's you, not the bike. I rode a 30 lbs bike for a couple of years with absolutely no problems. Now my bike is 22 lbs and ...more

this, you are fine... had a 34lb dk for a bit and had no problems. Just update parts whenever you feel the need to but for the most part you should be fine.

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

12/3/2014 10:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2014 10:28 AM

Zxzbmxteam wrote:

Well I mean I can 360 tire tap and 180 and Manuel foot jam tail whip but when I was at the Florence skate park I went as fast ...more

Because he's better than you at riding ramps. Learn to pump and air better and you'll go as far and high as he does.

|

12/3/2014 10:38 AM

I ride a 31-32 pound bike. My bike is a f**king tank. Chromoly frame, fork, handlebars and stem. I'm sure there is more chromoly on that beast, which makes my bike heavier then most, but look at the bright side I won't have to replace anything for a really long time.

|

Its a skatepark not a playground.

12/3/2014 10:39 AM

Yeah true and damn I give props to you maybe I guess my bike is kinda light

|

12/3/2014 10:40 AM

Yeah. I only been to a skatepark about 10 times

|

12/3/2014 10:43 AM

RastaMan207 wrote:

I ride a 31-32 pound bike. My bike is a f**king tank. Chromoly frame, fork, handlebars and stem. I'm sure there is more ...more

...All high end bikes have chromoly frames, forks, bars, and cranks (Excluding those with Shadow/Primo cranks and a few others). My bike does and it weighs 22 lbs. Chromoly is also worse than aluminum in certain situations, like stems, which I doubt is actually chromoly on your bike.

|

12/3/2014 10:43 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

No. It's you, not the bike. I rode a 30 lbs bike for a couple of years with absolutely no problems. Now my bike is 22 lbs and ...more

TheRadDragon wrote:

this, you are fine... had a 34lb dk for a bit and had no problems. Just update parts whenever you feel the need to but for the ...more

The rad dragon your are the nicest person so far I swear everywoman I post a thread people gotta be dicks but yeah

|

12/3/2014 10:47 AM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

TheRadDragon wrote:

this, you are fine... had a 34lb dk for a bit and had no problems. Just update parts whenever you feel the need to but for the ...more

Zxzbmxteam wrote:

The rad dragon your are the nicest person so far I swear everywoman I post a thread people gotta be dicks but yeah

lol thanks, just here to help if I can...

|

12/3/2014 11:10 AM

I meant every one ahah

|

12/3/2014 11:20 AM

Zxzbmxteam wrote:

I meant every one ahah

It's part of being a new guy here. If you survive us being dicks you can stay haha.

|

12/3/2014 11:22 AM

Haha just like in the marines

|

12/3/2014 11:27 AM

Your bike might make a better boat anchor then bike

|

12/3/2014 11:39 AM

Well i think it is good to have a heavier bike for a while, especially if you are a fresh rider. If i didn't start with something kinda beefy i wouldn't be where i am today. You need a heavy bike for the muscle memory. But Geometry and frame sizing helps a lot to how you ride too. I recommend maybe upgrading to a nicer frame later on, but for now, ride that shit!!

I started on a bike that is like 40 pounds and learned a lot. Then upgraded to one around 24 pounds and it made learning new stuff quickly better.

Also, im just gonna state the obvious here, a lighter bike is EASIER to ride for longer periods of time. Like after riding hard for an hour on a 35 pound bike, i'd be sweating and hyperventilating after everything because its working my body more. But for when i had my Fit Aitken s3.5 which is like a 4lb frame and had lots of light parts on, i could ride that thing for like 4 hours without being worn out. That bike probably weighed in at like 21 pounds and i liked it, but it broke. Realistically, you should get that bike down to 25 pounds LATER ON. Then start shredding.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/3/2014 11:39 AM

Haha ok

|

12/3/2014 11:40 AM

eskimojay wrote:

LOL!

|

12/3/2014 11:41 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Well i think it is good to have a heavier bike for a while, especially if you are a fresh rider. If i didn't start with ...more

this is great advise, take it...

|

12/3/2014 11:42 AM

Hahahq damn maximum bmx yeah ima get a kink Titan frame in May yeah most of my friends try bunny hops on my bike and be like how can you ride this but yeah thanks man

|

12/3/2014 11:42 AM

from what i understand 24lb is light for an average bmx, 30+ is considered heavy by most so your fine imo, like others said enjoy what you have, i weigh 200lb so im sure the bike weight is the least of my worries ha!-)

|

12/3/2014 11:47 AM

Haha thanks yeah I way 140 and I'm 15 but I have like no fat it's all muscle from riding I do trails sometime to

|

12/3/2014 12:06 PM

27lbs is not heavy, most people ride a 25 to 27lbs bike (the pegs, guards, and metal pieces add weight)

|

My FBM bike check

12/3/2014 1:42 PM

yes.

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

12/3/2014 2:13 PM

Zxzbmxteam wrote:

Hahahq damn maximum bmx yeah ima get a kink Titan frame in May yeah most of my friends try bunny hops on my bike and be like ...more

That frame is sick, been debating that or the fbm bellwitch...

|

12/3/2014 4:02 PM

Zxzbmxteam wrote:

Hahahq damn maximum bmx yeah ima get a kink Titan frame in May yeah most of my friends try bunny hops on my bike and be like ...more

TheRadDragon wrote:

That frame is sick, been debating that or the fbm bellwitch...

I would get kink titan

|

12/3/2014 8:52 PM

eskimojay wrote:

hahahaha

|

"The best activities for your health are humping and pumping" - Vladimir Putin

BMX Gallery 4130, Transition Bmx, Dan's Comp

12/3/2014 8:54 PM

i think mine's around 28 or 29 if i remember correctly, once i go 3 or 4 pegs it might hit 30
weight means less than you think
"the poor worksman blames his tools"

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

12/3/2014 9:02 PM

27lbs is not heavy. I remember when that was considered fairly light.

I remember when I got my bike to 28lbs and was surprised at how light it felt.

I'm at 25lbs 10oz last time I checked, keep in mind I have 3 steel pegs & 3 steel hub guards which altogether probably weigh about 2lbs, meaning I'd be around 23lbs 10oz if I took them off, now that to me is pretty light but still could be lighter. Actually might be too light for my taste haha. 25lbs is perfect in my opinion.

Plus it's better to start on a heavier bike, then progress slowly to a lighter bike. Learning bike control on a heavier bike, then progressing to a lighter bike tends to have pretty good results from what I see. That doesn't mean going from a heavy bike to a light bike will automatically make you good though.

|

12/4/2014 7:41 AM

I've always liked a slightly heavy bike. Mine is 28, I feel if I had a 20 pound bike I'd accidentally fly away or the bike would.

|