Is my chain to tight????

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2017 10:10 AM

I've been riding like this for quite a while and my bikes dialed and fine no grinds or skips or creams etc. But yesterday another rider told me my cranks should be spinning freely , I don't understand what difference it makes nor do I care if it's a preference thing but I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my new sprocket and bb and hub etc. I'll post a vid.

|

4/12/2017 10:15 AM

Your username is really similar to mine lmao
Anyway I personally have a little slack in my chain. I think it's all preference.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

4/12/2017 10:15 AM

|

4/12/2017 10:17 AM

Photo
|

4/12/2017 10:18 AM

As it is this is my clearance but my bike feels fine.

|

4/12/2017 10:20 AM

GCBMX69 wrote:

Your username is really similar to mine lmao
Anyway I personally have a little slack in my chain. I think it's all preference.

Yea it is! great minds think alike!

|

4/12/2017 10:41 AM

It's not as tight as other people's. I prefer a bit of slack in my chain (not so it's actually loose though). And to be fair it looks like the chain wouldn't clear your brake if there was any slack.

If it's ridiculously tight and can cause things to wear a bit quicker. But if you think of how much torque you put through the chain when you crank hard, having it tight doesn't make all that much difference

|

4/12/2017 11:16 AM

Ok and based on the vid my BB and crank is spinning fine? Thats more what the guy was talking about. I think its fine? Maybe I am wrong , the BB is only 4 months old and probably been ridden 20 times since the new build.

|

4/12/2017 11:40 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Ok and based on the vid my BB and crank is spinning fine? Thats more what the guy was talking about. I think its fine? Maybe I am wrong , the BB is only 4 months old and probably been ridden 20 times since the new build.

That's a personal preference thing. Some like it to spin freely for crank flips, some like it tight so the pedals don't move when they do no footed tricks. I don't do either, I just don't like the sound of a tight chain, or chain slap

|

4/12/2017 12:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2017 12:02 PM

Yeah, it's fine.

You can run your chain as loose or as tight as you please. It's more about what you're doing as said above. Just don't run it tremendously tight or stupidly loose as mechanical issues may arise, of course.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/12/2017 12:55 PM

Word thanks guys

|

4/12/2017 1:09 PM

I rode my chain tight as FUCK at times and you'll know if it's too tight . I probably killed my poor driver bearings sad That shit was sooooo tight you could crankflip an inch if you tried .

Don't be me

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/12/2017 3:18 PM

by the looks of it it's your cranks that are overtightened

|

4/12/2017 6:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2017 6:22 PM

i hate running a tight chain just because breaking a chain fucking sucks (and its happened to me like 3 times, all while i was pedaling of course) so i like to leave enough slack that i can crankflip and spin the cranks 1 full spin just cause id rather be safe than sorry
sounds like you were riding with some brandon begin dick rider. you can run your chain tight if you want, its all personal preference. just keep in mind that the more stress you put on your chain the more likely it'll be to break

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/13/2017 10:30 AM

Ok so to loosen the crank or bb I would loosen the 2 size 6 hex bolts on the crank after undoing the pinch bolts on the crank or is there internal working here that need to be mucked with? It's sealed bb and I don't get how to loosen it other than that.

|

4/13/2017 10:48 AM

I answered my own question and fixed it, thanks guys!

|

4/13/2017 11:22 AM

yep just loosen the pinch bolts and loosen the spindle bolt a bit if you'd like. There's uber-tight (cranks won't spin much) and then snug (allows them to spin a little more freely). I run my chain tight as possible with uber-tight cranks so they won't spin on me while riding flatland.

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

4/15/2017 1:39 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

I've been riding like this for quite a while and my bikes dialed and fine no grinds or skips or creams etc. But yesterday another rider told me my cranks should be spinning freely , I don't understand what difference it makes nor do I care if it's a preference thing but I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my new sprocket and bb and hub etc. I'll post a vid.

Better tight then too lose. Unless you like doing crank flips.

|

4/17/2017 2:52 PM

I keep my chain as loose as possible as long as it dont hit the chain stay, although its different on everyones frames

|

Trails not Rails

Trails YT Channel

4/17/2017 2:53 PM

I have also been scared of my chain snapping, its quite a violent outcome some of the time, watch it on youtube

|

Trails not Rails

Trails YT Channel