Is my crank fucked?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/5/2013 7:51 PM

Well it's 48 spline and it was stuck so my friend at the bike shop took it off for free and I got it painted and.. I tried putting it together and it didn't come together past a certain point so I checked it out and theirs a bump in the splines on the crank arm.. So is this regular or is it fucked? Also I have 1664 cranks so could I just buy like a crank arm off dans and put it on or do I have to get new cranks?

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/5/2013 7:58 PM

bump in the splines? is it like crushed or what? post a pic

|

12/5/2013 8:07 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

bump in the splines? is it like crushed or what? post a pic

Can't right now but you know the crank arm has the splines that line up with the spindle splines right and like the metal from the splines come up so that it's impossible to put it together with you hands.. And I look it to this guy and he said I'd have to hammer it on and it might not ever come off again.. So..

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/5/2013 8:23 PM

So it's like this..
Photo

Photo

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/5/2013 8:42 PM

You probaly warped a spline. Thats not good. You either installed it improperly or the splines are just really weak.

Either way , you're kinda out of luck. There's nothing you can do really. Try greasing both and see if you can install them better , but if you can't by hand , then you might have to force it on by using a hammer or a press.

Good luck. Hopefully they're stock cranksets. maybe you can order a new spline depending if they're 2 piece or 3 piece.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/5/2013 8:46 PM

that's weird, does the spindle seem fine?

|

12/5/2013 8:50 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

You probaly warped a spline. Thats not good. You either installed it improperly or the splines are just really weak.

Either way , you're kinda out of luck. There's nothing you can do really. Try greasing both and see if you can install them better , but if you can't by hand , then you might have to force it on by using a hammer or a press.

Good luck. Hopefully they're stock cranksets. maybe you can order a new spline depending if they're 2 piece or 3 piece.

He's outta luck. They're not stock, they're Premium 1664 cranks.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/5/2013 9:02 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

He's outta luck. They're not stock, they're Premium 1664 cranks.

No.. They're 1664 good Ol cranks

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/5/2013 9:03 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

that's weird, does the spindle seem fine?

The spindles fine nothing wrong with it at all.. It's just that one thing

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/5/2013 9:04 PM

So new cranks? What do you guys recommend anything under 170 and they have to be gloss black

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/5/2013 9:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2013 10:46 PM

Looks like the edge of your spindle smashed a section of the splines during installing/uninstalling. This can happen if the spindle and arm are at a weird angle when hammering them on/off. The damage is keeping the spindle from sliding in smoothly, that's why they seem to be getting stuck. Definitely user error.

Luckily you still have enough healthy splines left for the cranks to hold tight. Lube it and line it up good before you commit to hammering. They're very ridable imo.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

12/5/2013 11:06 PM

BMXism wrote:

Looks like the edge of your spindle smashed a section of the splines during installing/uninstalling. This can happen if the spindle and arm are at a weird angle when hammering them on/off. The damage is keeping the spindle from sliding in smoothly, that's why they seem to be getting stuck. Definitely user error.

Luckily you still have enough healthy splines left for the cranks to hold tight. Lube it and line it up good before you commit to hammering. They're very ridable imo.

This. If he misses and hits that thing and it actually gets on, he's gonna be like the dude on here who regreased his spindle and had his crank arm somehow "weld" itself to the damn thing.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/6/2013 4:47 AM

ALWAYS USE A CRANKTOOL

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/6/2013 5:49 AM

And in this case, crank tool + pipe wrench

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/6/2013 10:10 AM

Meh, lube and brute force, always works for me.

Same with crank installation.

|

12/6/2013 11:28 AM

you only need to replace that one arm, if you can't get it back on. any 48 spline 175 (or whatever size you have ) will work.

and as others said, use the correct tool or be very careful when installing.

You can make a tool using a longer bolt with the same threads as your spindle and a large washer.

and USE GREASE.

|

12/6/2013 3:04 PM

I don't think 1664 sells individual arms....... You could buy some profile or Madera arms.......there's allot of 19mm 48 spline arms out there......I'm pretty sure the 1664 crank spindle is a 19 mm ......I'm bad for not using a crank tool and just bashing shit together

|

12/6/2013 3:36 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Meh, lube and brute force, always works for me.

Same with crank installation.

hahahaha

you won the internet for the day!

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

12/6/2013 4:57 PM

Imma sound like a total n00b, but how the hell do you use a fucking crank tool? no one ever taught me this shit i just hammer that bitch.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

12/6/2013 10:33 PM

Well the crank arm has to be gloss black so what do you guys recommend?

|

Bang Bang bmx

12/6/2013 10:41 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

only 19mm crank arm I could find was the Profile, I don't personally like Profile though but that's beside the point haha.

|

12/7/2013 8:42 AM

Demolitions are 19 mm

|

12/7/2013 9:37 AM

I would replace those if I were you

|

REFSREFS: Four, agfracing, bmx4life121303, Austin_Read, the balt, handlebar-to-face, Murtaugh, killjonken, Bmx&volkswagens, TCbmx(x2), spikez5, A08, SuperstarDK, blizzbikes, ecuadevil, BMX4Lyfee, Kroller, 2283kdogg, ShadowBmx1995, WeAreFucked, killedglamour, Showtime402, ScramHype, Prophet, 2wheelguy, ugot2dewitt, Sancheezz, tomdon five16-207-nine457

12/7/2013 10:53 AM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

only 19mm crank arm I could find was the Profile, I don't personally like Profile though but that's beside the point haha.

I don't link em ether.. That's the think I've Hurd they flex and my current cranks don't flex a lot so if I landed hard one will hardly flex and one will so ill most likely eat shit

|

Bang Bang bmx