Is my half link chain on right?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/27/2019 11:07 AM

Just installed my first half link, wanted to make sure I put it on right. I can't tell if it's upside down or not, it's a KMC HL710 and the links look the same both ways so I can't even tell If it's possible to run it "upside down" like you could a Shadow.

Photo

Photo

|

4/27/2019 11:14 AM

I had this exact issue the other day. It was on backward anyway so needed to come off, but I was sure it was upside down also.

Anyway, once I'd got it off, turned it round and flipped it apart from obviously being the right way around it still looked upside down

Moral of the story.
I think it's ok so long as the round edges are going forward. 😝

|

4/27/2019 12:05 PM

Roy roofer wrote:

I had this exact issue the other day. It was on backward anyway so needed to come off, but I was sure it was upside down also.

Anyway, once I'd got it off, turned it round and flipped it apart from obviously being the right way around it still looked upside down

Moral of the story.
I think it's ok so long as the round edges are going forward. 😝

Yeah it's definitely not backwards but I can't tell if it should be flipped 😅

|

4/28/2019 7:52 AM

It is put on 100% correctly.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/28/2019 12:16 PM

Don't know what happened here but... Photo😂

|

4/28/2019 12:17 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

This is exactly why I don't run halflink chainsgrin

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/28/2019 1:12 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Oh sheeeeet. Did the pin work its way out or the link snap?

|

4/28/2019 5:45 PM

Get a Supreme and dont look back! wink lol

|

4/29/2019 5:03 AM

Odyssey Bluebird has been a great one for me, cheap (20 bucks or so) and lasted a long time. It will be my next chain for sure.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/29/2019 6:32 AM

@Honda & Roy - Yeah bros, saw a bunch of 1 star reviews for these KMC HL710's saying the pins/links bend and snap like plastic but I decided for $13 it would be worth it. I've got a bunch of extra links for it but I'm probably not gonna put it back on because I value my teeth, kinda happy I was just lslowly cruising when this happened. Didn't even have pegs on.

@Bulletpup Yeah not spending $70 on a chain don't care if that thing comes with a free handjob

@dave Yeah I have a bluebird, wanted to try a half link for a laugh.

|

4/29/2019 7:26 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

@Honda & Roy - Yeah bros, saw a bunch of 1 star reviews for these KMC HL710's saying the pins/links bend and snap like plastic but I decided for $13 it would be worth it. I've got a bunch of extra links for it but I'm probably not gonna put it back on because I value my teeth, kinda happy I was just lslowly cruising when this happened. Didn't even have pegs on.

@Bulletpup Yeah not spending $70 on a chain don't care if that thing comes with a free handjob

That's nasty. I had an old KMC snap on me (my fault) and that was, so far the worst accident I've had.
Cranked hard up into a 3ft box, chain clean snapped at the link and I have no idea what it hit, but I smashed my knee .. luckily nothing broke except the chain. I'm still using the same chain but it's fitted correctly....
If you know your setup is spot on, any mid range Chain will do. Most of the time you're only paying for the brand name anyway.

|

4/29/2019 8:41 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

You can get them cheaper

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-The-Shadow-Conspiracy-Interlock-Supreme-Half-Link-Chain-Black/302916301307?epid=810154287&hash=item468737f1fb:g:tDQAAOSwnhJbvjbp

Id rather pay 50 bucks for one chain that I trust with a lifetime warranty than buy 2 chains that break like the one in the picture above. Lol

|

4/29/2019 9:44 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

You can get them cheaper

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-The-Shadow-Conspiracy-Interlock-Supreme-Half-Link-Chain-Black/302916301307?epid=810154287&hash=item468737f1fb:g:tDQAAOSwnhJbvjbp

Id rather pay 50 bucks for one chain that I trust with a lifetime warranty than buy 2 chains that break like the one in the picture above. Lol

Or, just get a K710 and you're sorted for ages...

I'm curious: Has anyone ever actually tried to claim the warranty? I'd be interested to see what it covers and how long it lasts. On their site it says the chain comes with "Limited Lifetime Warranty" and on the warranty page says "The Shadow Interlock Supreme chain has a limited lifetime warranty. If the Shadow Interlock Supreme chain breaks during it’s lifespan, Shadow will replace it at no additional charge. This warranty does not include damage to the product caused by installation error, misuse, or negligence."

I'd be very interested to hear what they consider to be its lifespan.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/29/2019 11:34 AM

The supreme chain is only warrantied against breakage. Not stretching. Granted, the design means it won’t stretch as quickly, but it certainly won’t outlast the same monies worth of something like a bsd forever chain.
I change my chain once a year or so. That’s 5 or 6 bsd forever chains for the price of a supreme

|

4/29/2019 6:33 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

You can get them cheaper

p1p1092 wrote:

Or, just get a K710 and you're sorted for ages...

I'm curious: Has anyone ever actually tried to claim the warranty? I'd be interested to see what it covers and how long it lasts. On their site it says the chain comes with "Limited Lifetime Warranty" and on the warranty page says "The Shadow Interlock Supreme chain has a limited lifetime warranty. If the Shadow Interlock Supreme chain breaks during it’s lifespan, Shadow will replace it at no additional charge. This warranty does not include damage to the product caused by installation error, misuse, or negligence."

I'd be very interested to hear what they consider to be its lifespan.

I think I might have to do a sprocket stall marathon...wink

Maybe record my journey to break the chain...

|