Is physical therapy really necessary

Related:
Create New Tag

11/15/2020 9:36 PM

As many of y’all may know, I fractured my fibula a month ago and still have a week and a half left until I’m out of my boot and in physical therapy. Is it really necessary and worth it or should I be able to hop back on my bike without any issues (other than being weaker duh)

|

smile

11/15/2020 10:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2020 10:00 PM

I haven’t experienced any injuries requiring it, but from what I’ve seen first-hand, read, and watched, I’d say it’s necessary. It just seems like the best route to progress the healing clock. Again, can’t speak from experience, but at the very least, it can’t hurt to do it, especially if you’re told to.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

11/15/2020 10:09 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

As many of y’all may know, I fractured my fibula a month ago and still have a week and a half left until I’m out of my boot and in physical therapy. Is it really necessary and worth it or should I be able to hop back on my bike without any issues (other than being weaker duh)

I've experienced massive injuries when I was run over while riding my motorcycle almost 6 years ago. Physical therapy is VERY important! I had a broken tib/fib with compartment syndrome, open fracture and severed artery. I had 13 surgeries, 3 months hospitalization, and most of that stay was bed ridden. It was almost 1 year before I started walking unassisted.

|

11/16/2020 5:24 AM

Yes it is necessary to properly finish healing AND to strengthen the muscles that are atrophied.

Listen to your doctors.

Take your time. Sucks now, but it would be way better to take your time getting back on your bike so you don't wreck yourself and get stuck in a cast again. Think about it this way, you haven't really been using most of those muscles and tendons in a few weeks and they are gonna be SORE from simple walking etc.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/16/2020 6:34 AM

Yes, if you want to be back to full go as fast as possible and not wait years.

|

11/16/2020 7:46 AM

I broke my fibula back in February, was in a boot for six weeks. The day it came off I went straight to skatepark. I thought, clearly the Drs have no idea what they’re talking about and I’ll be able to ride. Boy was I wrong! Took about another 4 weeks of PT before I was able to have strength just to carve around bowls without pain or tightness. It’s definitely worth it!

|

11/16/2020 8:07 AM

for fuck's sake do PT and listen to your doctors

|

11/16/2020 8:14 AM

spencer666 wrote:

I broke my fibula back in February, was in a boot for six weeks. The day it came off I went straight to skatepark. I thought, clearly the Drs have no idea what they’re talking about and I’ll be able to ride. Boy was I wrong! Took about another 4 weeks of PT before I was able to have strength just to carve around bowls without pain or tightness. It’s definitely worth it!

And there you have it.

|

11/16/2020 8:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2020 8:30 AM

My physiotherapist is more helpful and knows more what to do for my injuries than my doctor does , doctor just wants to push pain meds on me and get me out the door so he can make more money , my physiotherapist has seen what I do on a bike and wants to get me back ready to shred , allot of injuries I say screw the doctor and go straight to my physiotherapist

|

11/16/2020 5:07 PM

PT is really really necessary. I snapped my fib last year and when I got out of the cast that shit couldn't move at all. You won't even be able to ride a bmx bike for months, I eased back into it with a single speed bike.

|

11/16/2020 5:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2020 5:20 PM

Please do therapy.

Edit. Everyone's on the same page, nice !

|

11/16/2020 5:21 PM

eskimojay wrote:

My physiotherapist is more helpful and knows more what to do for my injuries than my doctor does , doctor just wants to push pain meds on me and get me out the door so he can make more money , my physiotherapist has seen what I do on a bike and wants to get me back ready to shred , allot of injuries I say screw the doctor and go straight to my physiotherapist

I can definitely relate to that and so can thousands probably 100 thousands of people as well.

|

11/16/2020 5:49 PM

Certainly..

Also if they don't offer up, ask them what you can do at home to strengthen too..

I've spent over a year of my life on crutches but have never broken a bone..

|

11/16/2020 6:15 PM

I dislocated my ankle and fractured my tib/fib requiring plates and screws last September. I started doing physio while I was still in the boot, did it for 6 weeks once I was out. I’m still doing at-home exercises working on getting back to full strength and range of motion.

|

11/17/2020 4:22 AM

yes you should therapy and go far beyond it if you can

do your PT, but a lot of ppl screw off when they are given "homework", if you really want to recover properly and efficiently, do the homework they give you and make it a routine even after PT ends

|

11/17/2020 4:48 AM

Take a look at Dan Paley, he broke his ankle a few months back and is now starting to ride again, and that is mainly down to his PT that he's gotten. i haven't had to do it yet, but if i was in your scenario, i definitely would.

|

11/18/2020 6:56 AM

Don't be lazy, don't be stupid, don't cut corners!
Do the work and stay on the bike for many more years!

|

11/18/2020 1:01 PM

Yes it's necessary. I speak from experience. I did physio for my tib-fib and it healed perfectly. I skipped it when I broke my arm and it healed horribly, like twisty and loaded with arthritis.

That said, I live in Canada so it was totally free. If it costs too much money, I firmly believe you can get similar results at home if you get advice from a medical professional.

|

11/19/2020 8:26 PM

PT is a must (3 knee surgeries, acl, acl/pcl, acl again and a shoulder surgery...I’m no mat Hoffman) It can be expensive too, if you can’t afford it google (insert injury/surgery) rehabilitation protocol and do it that way. However electrostimulous for atrophy you can really only get at PT. The ability to walk pain free the rest of your life should be a goal outside of riding. Be patient and do it correctly the bike will still be there when you’re ready

|

11/20/2020 12:10 AM

burntheflesh777 wrote:

PT is a must (3 knee surgeries, acl, acl/pcl, acl again and a shoulder surgery...I’m no mat Hoffman) It can be expensive too, if you can’t afford it google (insert injury/surgery) rehabilitation protocol and do it that way. However electrostimulous for atrophy you can really only get at PT. The ability to walk pain free the rest of your life should be a goal outside of riding. Be patient and do it correctly the bike will still be there when you’re ready

I mean it’s only a 3 inch spiral fracture so I’d imagine physical therapy would be exercises to restrengthen the muscles and tendons that the boot and cast immobilized and restricted. Lmk if I missed anything smile

|

smile

11/20/2020 12:11 AM

And after finally going through this thread I have decided that I will do the exercises my physical therapist or google tells me to do and I’ll be a good boy and wait the 4 weeks to ride my bike again

|

smile

11/20/2020 1:37 AM

You'll definitely be surprised at how much strength and movement you lose. Physio is invaluable

|